Chevy dealer parts counter, what a joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The Titanic's broken hull would probably have fewer leakage problems than an Opti-Spark, too.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:29 PM
BLVette75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is slightly OT, but since we are talking about parts stores... I went to NAPA a couple of weeks ago to purchase a battery for my wifes Cherokee. I arrived about 10 minutes till 9:00 AM. They did not open until 9:00 so I decided to sit and wait. I watched one employee arrive just after I did. I saw a couple of cars I assume belonged to other employees already inside the building. I could see through the glass door that there were people moving around in the back of the store. I waited till 9:00 and tried the door.... locked. I thought.... hmmm... maybe they will open up in a few minutes.... I waited another 10 minutes or so... (they saw me standing outside the door)..but nobody opened up. I waited a few more minutes and decided.... as bad as I hated to.... to head for Auto Zone. I purchased the battery there and the guy gave me a punch card. Every time I make a purchase over $20 they punch the card. After 6 purcahses.... I get $20 off the next purchase.

This is a new Auto Zone store and has so far treated me right (even has had parts NAPA did not have).... the one I used to visit infuriated me one day and I vowed never to give AZ my business ever again. (so much for that I recon) I rolled in and purchased a battery. The vehicle I was driving needed the battery. The guy at the counter agreed to loan me the "store" tool box so I could do the battery swap in the parking lot. My wife and baby were in the car...it was very hot outside. As I headed out the door with the battery and tool box... the door alarm beeped. The manager looked up and saw me with the tool box and refused to allow me to use the tools. (felt like a crook in front of an entire store) Being "in a fix" for a battery, I elected to buy a cheap pair of pliers reluctantly. One of the nuts on the battery cable was corroded and did not want to budge and the cheap pliers broke in my hand. All the while I watched one of the employees taking time to load up a discarded dispaly shelf into his friends car. (too busy to help a customer I suppose) (all the while my baby was getting hot and cranky) I made some comment about "I sure appreciate the help AZ was giving me" and he made some Smart A$$ comment back. I had enough... I hauled the battery back into the store... set it on the counter at the register.... and the lady working the register made the mistake of asking me "was something wrong". I told her, (trying to use restraint as it was not her fault), that I prefer to not talk about it... I just wanted my money back. She kept needling me for an explanation and I noticed the manager walk back out who refused to loan me the tools. So I opened up so the whole store could hear me.... She quickly gave me a refund so I would leave. I managed to make it to a carquest.... and the express lube next door had tools they loaned me to make the swap.

BLVette75
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Brianjt1987
Instructor

God I'm glad I'm not a C5/6 driver who has no choice but to be butt raped by Chevy. [/QUOTE]

A C6 most likely wouldn't have a leaking power steering hose & on the off chance it did, the warranty would cover it.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Lorin D
Instructor

Default Chevy dealer parts counter, what a joke

Got mine at The Last Detail , complete set for $49.00 plus shipping.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brianjt1987
God I'm glad I'm not a C5/6 driver who has no choice but to be butt raped by Chevy.
A C6 most likely wouldn't have a leaking power steering hose & on the off chance it did, the warranty would cover it. [/QUOTE]

Well ya for now. I don't see a 2006 having all the parts coverage thru vendors like mid america does for C3's for example many C5 owners say 1998 have to go to Chevy dealers for parts becuase MA, ECKLERS doens't carry them.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:35 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

My little brother works in parts at a Ford dealer in Denver. Their mark up for parts is 130%, which I guess is pretty standard for Ford dealers. I would assume that GM dealers are pretty close to the same.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:03 AM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default It's not just Chevy

I had to get a plug wire for a car with the problem circled in blue. The dealer wanted almost $100 for the set of 4. I called around and one other guy said he could get them and for only 29 bucks but it would take a few hours for them to get there. When I picked them up I asked where he had gotten the parts from and he said that he went to the dealer. I'm sure he made money on the sale to me and I never went back to that dealer for anything.

Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

I'm sorry to hear you had to work on a Ford.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:45 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CMYC4GO
My little brother works in parts at a Ford dealer in Denver. Their mark up for parts is 130%, which I guess is pretty standard for Ford dealers. I would assume that GM dealers are pretty close to the same.
Is that all? I'm sure my dealer was marking up pushrods close to 700% considering i got a complete set of hardened (comp cams) pushrods at a local speedshop for something like 1/8 the cost the dealer wanted

Quick Reply: Chevy dealer parts counter, what a joke