Sponsored by:

Better to grab a 68 or 69?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Augustus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Better to grab a 68 or 69?

Now my brother is on the hunt for a Corvette. He loves the C3's aswell. He is accustomed to Porsche's as he has one. Now he wants a 68/69 Big Block car.

Question is is one year more desirable than the other?

I think their the same.. I just want to double check here.
68 is the first year of producion, and maybe 69 it was a little better.

Anyone with a heads up on this issue let me know, as I'm scouting around for a decent model and they seem all close in price. Between 68/69

Thanks
Old 08-21-2005, 12:42 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my preference is for the 68 for the little things which differentiate it from the later steel bumper Vettes. Others might say to go with the 69 because of all the little things which are hard to get for the 68 only
Old 08-21-2005, 05:23 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default 68 Corvette has its own parts..a parts only car for that year

But it also has double bubble tail lights that both light up unlike the 69. The reverse lights are under the bumper like the new 2005 Corvette. It has pushbutton door handles this is only on the 68. The turn signal doesn't return to its position after you signal. Wheel size is smaller. Sterring wheel is larger Door panels are very different and take up more passenger space than the 69 and the front where the map pockets usually are or glove box is flat with nothing there. The 68 doesn't have a steering column lock whereas the 69 does. The ignition switch is in the dash in the 68 whereas the 69 it is in the steering wheel.
All of the above is correct provided the car was kept in factory stock condition and not modified or customized.

Last edited by LS WON; 08-21-2005 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:10 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"The turn signal doesn't return to its position after you signal"
I think your turn signal cancel is broken, mine cancels when the wheel returns to the centre. I believe it is the same as a 67 unit, rare as hens teeth now but a 68 pontiac switch is the same (and not as expensive). The switch with cornering lamps is available also, you just need to ignore the cornering lamp wiring.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:08 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default back up lights

anyone have a picture of the 68 backup lights? I installed the 4 bubble lights and did away with my backup lights, maybe I could install some different ones
Old 08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
mustang slayer
Intermediate

Default 68 or 69?

My take on your quandry is that there both great years but 69s are arguably the most popular C-3s out there for many different reasons. I have a 70 BB car for sale and can't tell you how often I'm told they love my car but are really holding out for a 69 vert with side pipes, never heard I'm really looking for that elusive 68! Hey just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by gator79
anyone have a picture of the 68 backup lights? I installed the 4 bubble lights and did away with my backup lights, maybe I could install some different ones
Sorry I don't have a picture, but the 68 only back up lights mount in the valence panel. That requires the use of the 68 only valence panel. Chuck
Old 08-21-2005, 10:30 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

To answer your question, all else being equal I would advise your brother to buy a 69. I own a 68 and love it and wouldn't trade mine for a 69, but the 68 is more difficult to own and still commands a lower market value than the 69 due to first year problems, real and imagined. You need a strong sense of self to own a 68, you can't care about what other people think or say or think they know. It's just not a car for everyone - only the select few! See? I have transformed the 68 inferiority to a superiority thing!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:42 AM
matchframe
Pro

Personally I would go for the first deal you can get. 68 or 69 are both great Vettes. I like the idea of having the key on the dash of the 68, but I like the way the door opens of the 69. To me, both Vettes have their pros and cons.

But, if they were side by side and pretty much the same deal, I would probably choose the 69 due to its ease of getting parts.

JMO

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 08-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

68 had a short seat and no shoulder harness.
69 had tall seats with a shoulder harness through the top of the seat and it is a seperate belt that lugs onto the lap belt. Not a clip
If you have seat belt laws then this might make a diff.

68s also had a frame deal that the 69s got a frame support put on. mostly for roadsters.
I think its a diagonal brace near the kick up.

68s are also the only ones not a stingray.

69 has a bit more leg room. I don't think the 68s door panels take up more room. should be the other way around the door pull is a slot in the panel not a bar strap.

No headlight washer on the 68 either.

68s can be immediatly identified by just about anyone, the door button mentioned.
69 has engine info on the console the 68 don't
Old 08-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

They are both great cars and I like aspects of both. People (mostly '69 owners) will state how porrly the '68 was built (this is all C3's) and hard to find parts, etc. Truth is the cars were built 25+yrs ago and onwer like myself have made all the "updates" of the later cars.

It all depends on what you want, I go to car shows and if a chrome bumper car is there 9 out of 10 it's a '69. Why? One it is the least rare (in terms of production numbers) and they car is popular. I on the otherhand like to be a bit a little more unique and don't like having the same as everyone else, the '68 gives you that w/ the dash ignition, door handles, tail lights, etc.

So in short go for the best deal, both are great cars. It's a win/win situation.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:27 AM
73LS4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn signal feature was incorporated in 67 with a bunch of other "safety" features... headlight washer was incorporated in 70.

Funny how everyone with those valuable 67s just HAD to have a 68 when they came out (including me, I've had 3 67s). You couldn't touch a C3 generation at a reasonable price till late 69. Then the 70s came out and NO ONE wanted a 68-69, especially 68 because of all its "first year" issues (still my least favorite for those reasons, and they were the least valuable for years for that reason)... and my 69 was the worst Corvette I ever owned (especially hated those wide tires/wheels chewing up my paint on the side). The 70-72s were the most valuable for a long time, till someone decided that 3X2 carb thing on 67s (and L88s) was cool... then they got so expensive the 68-69s caught the fallout.

It all boils down to the right deal on the right car, or which one makes you salivate. I'd take any of them at the right price, now that I don't have to live with them every day. I was just remembering yesterday that I drove a new 70 LT-1 convertible every day for 2 years and learned to absolutely HATE it. Now I'd love to have it sitting in my garage just to look at, and drive it once a week, and appreciate it, and remember the good ole days. But that's all I do with the 73 as well. Still prefer 73s, they run on today's gas, don't squeak and rattle, have radial tires, have flares to catch the crap from being thrown from the wheels, have 98% of everything the 68-72 has, and most people still don't know their value

I mean what kind of enjoyment is there in putting $3.50 a gallon premium fuel in a car, and then kicking in 3X2s, and listening to the engine ping so loud that u ease off the accelerator???

Originally Posted by RHD '68 L89
I think your turn signal cancel is broken, mine cancels when the wheel returns to the centre. I believe it is the same as a 67 unit, rare as hens teeth now but a 68 pontiac switch is the same (and not as expensive). The switch with cornering lamps is available also, you just need to ignore the cornering lamp wiring.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gator79
Old 08-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 73LS4
I mean what kind of enjoyment is there in putting $3.50 a gallon premium fuel in a car, and then kicking in 3X2s, and listening to the engine ping so loud that u ease off the accelerator???

Guess it all depends on your area and choice.

I can run 89 but choose to run 93 at $2.60/gallon here. Personally I rather pay premium knowing when I nail the throttle I get Big Block power and no ping. To me it's worth the price of admission.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 PM
601P
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno
68 had a short seat and no shoulder harness.
69 had tall seats with a shoulder harness through the top of the seat and it is a seperate belt that lugs onto the lap belt. Not a clip
If you have seat belt laws then this might make a diff.

68s also had a frame deal that the 69s got a frame support put on. mostly for roadsters.
I think its a diagonal brace near the kick up.

68s are also the only ones not a stingray.

69 has a bit more leg room. I don't think the 68s door panels take up more room. should be the other way around the door pull is a slot in the panel not a bar strap.

No headlight washer on the 68 either.

68s can be immediatly identified by just about anyone, the door button mentioned.
69 has engine info on the console the 68 don't

All 68 coupes came with a shoulder harness, but they dont retract,
they were an option on verts. also later 68's have the added diag
frame brace in the kick up area as the 69's. Leg room is the same as a 69, but the larger diameter wheel can cause a problem for taller drivers
over 6 feet.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:43 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Don't overlook the '69 350/350; had one with original sidepipes and have regretted selling out ever since.......but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.....
Old 08-22-2005, 01:44 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default I test drove a 73 and it was very mellow compared to the earlier Corvettes especially

Originally Posted by 73LS4
Turn signal feature was incorporated in 67 with a bunch of other "safety" features... headlight washer was incorporated in 70.

Funny how everyone with those valuable 67s just HAD to have a 68 when they came out (including me, I've had 3 67s). You couldn't touch a C3 generation at a reasonable price till late 69. Then the 70s came out and NO ONE wanted a 68-69, especially 68 because of all its "first year" issues (still my least favorite for those reasons, and they were the least valuable for years for that reason)... and my 69 was the worst Corvette I ever owned (especially hated those wide tires/wheels chewing up my paint on the side). The 70-72s were the most valuable for a long time, till someone decided that 3X2 carb thing on 67s (and L88s) was cool... then they got so expensive the 68-69s caught the fallout.

It all boils down to the right deal on the right car, or which one makes you salivate. I'd take any of them at the right price, now that I don't have to live with them every day. I was just remembering yesterday that I drove a new 70 LT-1 convertible every day for 2 years and learned to absolutely HATE it. Now I'd love to have it sitting in my garage just to look at, and drive it once a week, and appreciate it, and remember the good ole days. But that's all I do with the 73 as well. Still prefer 73s, they run on today's gas, don't squeak and rattle, have radial tires, have flares to catch the crap from being thrown from the wheels, have 98% of everything the 68-72 has, and most people still don't know their value

much more mellow than a 69. I actually call the 73 and later Corvettes the cadillac of Corvettes because they don't vibrate and make as much noise as the earlier ones. The ride is better in a 73 but don't forget that was the first year for radial tires on a Corvette and side beams in the doors for safety. No rear window removal and different hood or air induction and hood hid the wipers on the 73.

Get notified of new replies

To Better to grab a 68 or 69?

Old 08-22-2005, 01:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Personaly if it were me (I wish) in this position I would go for a 70 to 72 Corvette

Those years models have bigger turn signals and wider wheel wheels to protect the body. I would only get a 68 if it was a clean block with just a motor and fan belt under the hood no lines or hoses all over the place like a 327 Corvette Coupe I test drove in Lemans blue Turbo 400 trans clean car back in 1980 cost? $6,000 I sure regret not buying it. It was a very clean car less smog just less junk under the hood, no air cond., no power windows or door locks pretty much a base 68 327.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Nope it is not broken that was the Corvette I test drove 20 years ago for $6,000

Originally Posted by RHD '68 L89
A 327 turbo 400 trans coupe very clean engine no hoses or lines and no clutter simply just a 327 engine block and one fan belt no air. I should have bought it
But currently I have a 2005 C-6 Coupe.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Robd
Pro

Originally Posted by PRNDL
To answer your question, all else being equal I would advise your brother to buy a 69. I own a 68 and love it and wouldn't trade mine for a 69, but the 68 is more difficult to own and still commands a lower market value than the 69 due to first year problems, real and imagined. You need a strong sense of self to own a 68, you can't care about what other people think or say or think they know. It's just not a car for everyone - only the select few! See? I have transformed the 68 inferiority to a superiority thing!
...... however I still think one day the market will turn in our favor.

LS WON, I also think your cancel is broken; I know mine used to work but no longer does. I will be trying the 68 Pontiac units soon.

I personally would NOT trade my 68 for a equally equipped 69 any day. I like the differences and oddities and the fact that you don’t see one on every corner. And the are a lot of differences and oddities many more not even mentioned yet. Both are great cars and I agree with MATCHFRAME that I would take the best deal that is optioned the way you want. have fun and research, research....

Last edited by Robd; 08-22-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Better to grab a 68 or 69?