Sponsored by:

radio question, strange......

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 12:35 AM
strack350
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio question, strange......

Ok, i posted a few weeks ago about why my radio would not work. well i finally got around to checking it out and found out 3 things: first being both speakers were shot, checked them on my other car. Second, the radio will power an old speaker i had laying around so i know that it works. Third, and strangest is that only one output of the factory radio works, the drivers side. The passenger side output does not work at all. My question is, would it hurt the radio to split the drivers side to power both sides, and what could possiblly make one side work, and not the other thanks for your help.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:13 AM
stepinup
Instructor

This is kind of a stupid q but did you check the balance?the problem you have wiring the two speakers together is it drops the ohms.for exp.hooking an 8 ohm speaker in parallel with another 8 ohm speaker drops the total load down to 4 ohms.same as a 10 ohm speaker in parallel with a 10 ohm speaker makes it a total of 5 ohms.I beleive gm radio excepts 10 ohm speakers,anything below this may burn up your working channel(the drivers side).your best bet is to bring it to the repair shop,Darryl
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
strack350
Advanced

I actually forgot to check the balance until today, and that did not fix it either. The strange thing is if all is quiet, i can actually hear what is coming into the radio, kind of like it has a speaker but none are hooked up. its driving me crazy
Old 09-04-2005, 08:32 PM
strack350
Advanced

another question i have is the silver thing under the dash top an amplifier of sorts? If it were bad only one channel could work right just thinking up som ideas.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:02 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that is the amplifier transistor. It is probably bad. You need to switch input channels to see if the dead channel switches sides.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:41 PM
stepinup
Instructor

Originally Posted by strack350
I actually forgot to check the balance until today, and that did not fix it either. The strange thing is if all is quiet, i can actually hear what is coming into the radio, kind of like it has a speaker but none are hooked up. its driving me crazy
That is propably some kind of feedback (ocilation) Diddnt know you did not have it hooked to the amp. with big G,see what happens when you hook it up to the amp,dont forget you need a good signal to determine if its working right,
Old 09-04-2005, 10:50 PM
strack350
Advanced

OK, i just came in from "tinkering" with it and im done for the night. I had it hooked up to the amp the whole time. I even reversed the plug going into the amp to see if it would change which speaker worked. It didnt and i can still hear the music just barely when the speakers are not hooked up. looks like ill be hitting ebay, or if some one happens to have one here.........hint hint

Get notified of new replies

To radio question, strange......

Quick Reply: radio question, strange......