Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Outer door handle removal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 AM
frisk3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1974 Outer door handle removal???

Got 2 days off and decided to swap out my original outer door handles. I did a search and got nothing and went back 25 pages on C3 general and found nothing as well. I have a shop manual and removed the door panel and the freeze/water shield. Fortunately the rear nut holding the handle was not on all the way and I was able to remove it by hand. What tool has anyone modified to tighten this rear nut up. There is little to no room to get anything in there. I have not removed the locks yet. Is this the key to remove the arm that attaches to the handle? I can't seem to unhook it otherwise.
Thank you to all that reply and have a happy and safe Labor day.
GEORGE
Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 79 I could loosen/tighten the nuts with a small ratchet with a long extension, not sure if clearance is similar on a 74.

For the "rod", it was easier to undo it at the bottom (loosen screw that holds it into the latch parts) rather than remove it from the handle. Then you can get the rod off withthe whole handle off the car. Putting it back on takes a few tries to line it up while dropping it back in.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:20 AM
frisk3
Intermediate

In my case there is no room for a socket. I was thinking of modifying an open end wrench or?
I saw the attachment at the bottom of the rod. This may be the way to go.
Thanks
GEORGE
Old 09-05-2005, 09:45 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

I now consider a ratcheting box end wrench essential for this job, makes things much easier.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

1/4 inch drive socket set. 12 inch "flex" extension. "Screwdriver handle" driver, not a ratchet.

Loosen/remove the screws in the door jamb and let the latch fall down to give you more room. Chuck
Old 09-05-2005, 11:22 AM
frisk3
Intermediate

Thanks Chuck. I thought about loosening the assembly and dropping it down but wasn't sure if i was opening up a bigger can of worms.
Many thanks
GEORGE
Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 AM
71redskin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most guys including me left the nut off thats closest to the jam... you'll never know the difference......mine works fine
Old 09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
frisk3
Intermediate

With the door mechanism lowered there is a ton of room. You could now use a wrench and tighten the bolt. A major difference!! Now if I can just re-install the lower clip hooking the arm to the mechanism I'll be done
Thanks
GEORGE
Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correction on my first answer, I had my door apart again today and yup the one nut you can't reach was just left off.

I also tried to put on an aftermarket outside handle. What a piece of crap! Looked great in it's box, but didn't fit (had to grind a chunk off) and after an hour or so adjusting it, it wouldn't open the door, and it already started sagging down/not returning up. I took it out and put the original broken one back in, I'd rather keep opening the door from the inside than look at that P.O.S.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Outer door handle removal???

Quick Reply: 1974 Outer door handle removal???