Sponsored by:

Do I need a title?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 PM
spooch22
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a title?

I'm looking at a car in CT and I live in NJ. The owner says the car doesn't have a title because of it's age and CT does not require them for cars this old(1976). He says he will issue me a bill of sale. Can I register this car in NJ?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:35 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told never to buy a car without a clear title....
Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check with Ct DMV. New York had no titles prior to 1974 but the still issue a transferrable registration which is the equivilant of a title just not as pretty. I don't know the rules in Ct but they must have some sort of ownership papers issued by the DMV. Otherwise you could steal your neighbors car and make up a bill of sale and sell it to anyone in any state of the union.

Makes no sense there has to be official paperwork otherwise they will laugh you out of the New Jersey DMV with that stupid story of no titles in CT.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 PM
spooch22
Advanced

Just checked the NJDMV website, it said the prior owners registration has to be properly assigned to me and I must present it with the vin and I guess I'm able to title it in NJ.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Hwy St*r
Racer

Default Speaking from experience.....

I live in central NJ and bought my '78 from a private owner in CT 2-1/2 years ago. I too was skeptical when the seller told me the same as you. But the reality is that the Bill of Sale acts just like the title and I had no problem registering my car in NJ and obtaining a title. The only difference was that I had to provide a pencil etching of the VIN, this is difficult to do as it is on the windshield pillar, I'm not sure how they could read it but they did accept it. I took a long a photo of the VIN plate too just in case. Additionally they did not give me the title immediately as they have to run the number but I received it in the mail pretty quickly. Good luck with your purchase, don't worry about the title, and check the car thoroughly. Don't tell anybody but I just slapped on the plates from my 1965 Ford Ranchero and drove my baby home the day I bought it! Have fun.

-Pete. KEEP DRIVING!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
tonyd21266
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your best bet is to move out of nj cause it sux! laughs

as far as the title goes you need one in nj for about eveything but a trailor

as far as getting it, it depends on people doing their job and you not getting some bitchie lady at dmv to start with leading you on a wild goose chase as has happend to me before, but you learn

you really shouldnt have any problem getting a title as long as the paperwork is right

they may want that bill certified though
Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spooch22
I'm looking at a car in CT and I live in NJ. The owner says the car doesn't have a title because of it's age and CT does not require them for cars this old(1976). He says he will issue me a bill of sale. Can I register this car in NJ?
I bought my '72 in CT with a bill of sale, actually there is a small tear off on their registration that you use to make the transfer.

I registered the car in NY and do not get a title either, just transferrable registration card, I hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need a title?

Quick Reply: Do I need a title?