Sponsored by:

NC Antique plates: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NC Antique plates: worth it?

Now understand, I only talked with aguy that supposedly knows the deal. Maybe someone knows the real deal

Heres what he told me:

In NC:

You can apply for certian years, but regardless:

You still have to get a saftey inspection (no smog check, but still must get a yearly safety inspection sticker)

And instead of an average of $50 a year license plate renewal fee, its a flat rate of $500!!

So, if this is true, the only advantage in NC to having an antique plate is having a $470 increase in yearly license plate renewal fees.........

Can anyone verify?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Sacredgrooves
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

all I can say for sure is, after a car reaches 35 years old in NC you do not have to have any inspection(safety included) this passed in july of '04 and went into effect in oct of '04. I didnt bother with looking into antique plates though.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:36 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the advantage in having antique plates? What are you getting for your $500?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:22 PM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this stuff written down somewhere? I've search most of the DMV website stuff for antique info. Come to think of it I've never taken notice of NC antique plates at car sows. Next time I'm at LMS car show, I'm going to search and find those NC antique plate owners and ask them my questions.

"after a car reaches 35 years old in NC you do not have to have any inspection(safety included)" 10 more years for my SS sidepipes.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have personal property taxes on vehicle, it may affect that.
Here in MO, cars with collector or antique plates are taxed annually at a much lower rate.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I lived in Huntersville, NC (Lake Norman area) until a few years ago. I live in PA now and have antique plates. I paid a one time fee of about $120.00 and never ever have to have the car inspected again or pay for yearly registration. I'm moving to Asheville, NC next Spring. I could keep the PA antique tag for awhile and know one would know since I don't have any kind of expiration date on my tag or registration. Would be cool to get something similar in NC. Looking foward to my return to the South.

Get notified of new replies

To NC Antique plates: worth it?

Quick Reply: NC Antique plates: worth it?