Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curiosity - "stingray"

Old 11-27-2005, 03:19 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default curiosity - "stingray"

If you were tasked to come up with a corvette "stingray" model, which only has to be realistic and profitable, what would you do? Explain options, engines, limitations, whether the Z06 remains or not, etc.

edit: Not really looking for 1-2 line replies, please put some thought into this. If its in depth enough to be a goal for the C7, so be it (mine is)

Last edited by ilkhan; 11-27-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 AM
penniman
Cruising

i think it would be a z51 coupe w/mn6 but with a cam change to the engine a la ls6. maybe only a small horsepower increase but make the engine peakier so that at the track it would be slightly but consistantly faster that a standard z51 coupe. But the big thing would be the badge "Stingray" on the front fender instead of Z06
Old 11-27-2005, 04:24 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

The Stingray would replace the Z06. For a base price jump of $5k over the coupe, the stingray would get the current Z06 widebody, brakes, suspension, wheels, and tires.

Engines built at the handbuilt plant, but with a twist. Historically, the stingrays (their generations anyway) had a wide veriety of possible engine choices, which made it a major descision as to which to buy. A similar concept would be used here.

For $5k, the engine would get replaced by the LZ1. Move to a 4.125 bore, 3.25" stroke (5.7L). Titanium/sodium filled valves, titanium rods, forged crank, and forged pistons wold help decrease rotating mass to achieve a 7500 redline, 7600rpm fuel cutoff. An aggressive cam to take advantage of this revving nature pushes power to the 560 range, but sacrifices low end (not peak) torque to get it. Redlines with horsepower just tapering off.

For $8k, the engine would bet replaced by the LZ2. A shortened stroke would decrease displacement to 5.3L (4.00"x3.20"). Forged pistons, crank, and rods would increase strength. A centrifugal blower (sourced from vortec or procharger) would push power to 525/500, with a nice sloping torque curve.

For $11k, the engine gets replaced by the LZ3. This is basically a LS7 of today. With this option, you get pretty close to the Z06 of today, but with a set of roof options [later].

For $15k, you get the LZ4, take a LS7, start by adding forged pistons, then add a turbo to either side of the block, intercoolers in the front bay, and 200HP over the LS2.

For all stingray models you get your choice off aluminum frame/hardtop (cost+10%), steel frame/targa roof panel ($0), steel frame/T-top ($0) or Al frame/targa/T-top with an extra 50lb of structure (cost+20%). Vert is also available as steel frame only, and costs $10k extra (approx coupe->vert cost as is)

Most other options are priced higher than the coupe/vert versions, but nothing is packaged, everything is individual.

Stingray only options: Dry sump available for an extra $1k, lighter weight wheels/tires for an extra cost, etc. R8C is included in the cost of the stingray, while the new $1080 R9D makes available a second (earlier) date to watch your engine being assembled at the engine plant.

[edit] For $1500 the widebody kit gets converted to carbon fiber. For $2k, the kit gets modified like this. For $3k, you get the new kit with carbon fiber

Last edited by ilkhan; 11-27-2005 at 05:19 AM. Reason: little changes/addressed CJs comment
Old 11-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilkhan
For all stingray models you get your choice off aluminum frame hardtop (cost+10%), targa roof panel ($0), T-top ($0) or Al frame + targa/T-top with an extra 50lb of structure (cost+20%). Vert is also available as steel frame only, and costs $10k extra (approx coupe->vert cost as is)
Why would they want to add weight as lose strength by using aluminum instead of the magnesium they use now?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:17 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
Why would they want to add weight as lose strength by using aluminum instead of the magnesium they use now?
frame being the aluminum frame used in the Z06, not the magnesium framed roof panel
Old 11-27-2005, 09:26 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

If you were tasked to come up with a corvette "stingray" model. Not really looking for 1-2 line replies, please put some thought into this. If its in depth enough to be a goal for the C7, so be it (mine is)
Hey Ilkhan, you're not a GM engineer are you, looking to cash in the Forum's imagination and expertise?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The “stingray” was never a separate model. There is nothing special is to way they called it a stingray. So why should they start now. Will people please get over the fact that the word stingray or sting ray means absolutely nothing .
Old 11-27-2005, 02:32 PM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The “stingray” was never a separate model. There is nothing special is to way they called it a stingray. So why should they start now. Will people please get over the fact that the word stingray or sting ray means absolutely nothing .
I know, but it has that perception in the eyes of the public.
Its like they couldn't do what I had above, use it as a trim level essentially, or an option branch.

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
Hey Ilkhan, you're not a GM engineer are you, looking to cash in the Forum's imagination and expertise?
? I hope that was sarcastic. I asked for longer replies because the description I had was in-depth (see above) and didn't want it to be the only one.

edit: ? why did this get moved to C3 gen when Im asking about ideas for the C6?

Last edited by ilkhan; 11-27-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I know, but it has that perception in the eyes of the public.
Its like they couldn't do what I had above, use it as a trim level essentially, or an option branch.

ya it makes them look stupid
Old 11-27-2005, 06:38 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you originally post it?

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

you spelled it "stingray" on word so you mean 69-76 cars. If you said "sting ray" two words it would have went to the C2 section. and I would be happy if I never heard anyone refer to old covettes as sting rays.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:09 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Thats easy.

An ultra-light version of the Z06 or and lightweight light version of the Z06 with a supercharger (Blue Devil?)

Radio delete option, lightweight aftermarket seats, no fancy ride/traction control. ALL body panels carbon fiber, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To curiosity - "stingray"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: curiosity - "stingray"