C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key things to look for when purchasing a 1970,1,2 Vert?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM
96CollectorLT4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key things to look for when purchasing a 1970,1,2 Vert?

Would like to buy a 70,1,2 vert, big block, 4 speed, factory A/C and other goodies if need be. But what are some key items to look for as far as rusty frames are concerned? I know the "birdcage" is something you dont want rusting out, how do you check for it? But if the frame is going to be a problem, where is the best place to check? Are the key holes in the frame a good tattle tale? Please inform, I want to learn!!! I'm not exactly in the market for one that is totally restored.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
jbroughton
Racer

Birdcage rust can be hard to see, since a lot of it is not easily accessible. If you look along the edges of the windshield from the outside, sometimes you can see the edges of the windshield frame enough to see signs of rust. If the owner will agree to it, pull the interior kick panels and check behind them. Also check for small flakes of rust on the carpet after driving the car for a while... if there's rust in the lower windshield frame, it will often flake off and fall onto the floor.

The typical frame rust is found just in front of the rear wheels. There is a plate welded into the end of the frame at this point that had a small drain hole in it from the factory. This has a tendency to plug up over the years and will often rust in this area. Also, rodents have a nasty habit of building nests inside the frame, which of course hold moisture and cause rust. Also check the bottom edge of the radiator core support up front. It gets hit with all the water as your driving in the rain, and is often one of the first pieces to go.

All of this can be repaired of course, but it runs up your investment in a hurry. Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find!

Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Originally Posted by jbroughton
Also check the bottom edge of the radiator core support up front. It gets hit with all the water as your driving in the rain, and is often one of the first pieces to go.

Jeff

I bought my '70 s.b. a few weeks ago. Mine has the rusty radiator support. I think it's around $325 at Corvette Central. I'll be ordering one this winter.

Mark
Old 11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
96CollectorLT4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up, I am so looking forward to my hunt for a worthy recipient!!! Thanks to all, I am a little wiser now. I am following all the posts to hopefully find more info that pertains to my cause. Thanks again, and there will be more questions I'm sure!!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:41 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

In addition to the kick panels, ask to take the pillar trim off. There is just one screw and some velcro type pads holding it on. My 69 vert had the cancer bad in this area. If the kick panel and the pillar post are clear, you are probably okay. Another big area is just behind the seat, on the cage. This area will collect moisture pretty bad. If you explore around under the car, you can get to this area without removing anything. It will be just behind the door, and inside and above the frame. Remember, be ready to walk away from anything. If there is one thing I found out about these cars, is that the next one will come along before you know it. After I bought my car, 3 more came along in better shape for comparible money. If a seller will not let you "kick the tires" walk away, he is hiding something. I have to admit, it gets old when the kicker is not trully an interested buyer, but just wants to look. When I sell a vehicle, I am wary of a buyer that does not do a thorough inspection. Caveat Emptor. I once had a boss that would say that a "salesman should never "sell" a child or an elderly person, but a grown man should know the difference."
Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
96CollectorLT4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that added info. Everyone is a potential buyer if the product is worthy. So if the seller is not willing to let a guy check things out completely then he is obviously hiding something, you are right!

Get notified of new replies

To Key things to look for when purchasing a 1970,1,2 Vert?

Quick Reply: Key things to look for when purchasing a 1970,1,2 Vert?