Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Jack a$$ screwed up my antenna!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 AM
zamika0a
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Jack a$$ screwed up my antenna!

I was parked in front of a coffee shop enjoying the whether and talking to a friend. In the corner of my eye I spotted a Guy checking out my car, which is totally cool. Then, for no apparent reason he decides to pull out the electric antenna with his hand . I tried to stop him but it was too late. I pushed the antenna back in, but every time I turn the radio on I hear a loud (clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk) while the antenna goes up. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I just finished a complete restoration and I’m sick of working (spending more $$$) on the car. Your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2005, 07:56 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zamika0a
I was parked in front of a coffee shop enjoying the whether and talking to a friend. In the corner of my eye I spotted a Guy checking out my car, which is totally cool. Then, for no apparent reason he decides to pull out the electric antenna with his hand . I tried to stop him but it was too late. I pushed the antenna back in, but every time I turn the radio on I hear a loud (clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk) while the antenna goes up. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? I just finished a complete restoration and I’m sick of working (spending more $$$) on the car. Your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you
I hope he has a broken finger or two....
Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

I know, I know...a 178 yr old woman backed up into my Mustang the other day, cracking my plastic plate cover.."don't you look behind you when you back up?".."well I know I should..." what can ya say....
I'd pull the motor and take it apart and see if he striped a gear...maybe you can reset it and lube it if you're not missing a tooth...I honestly know how you're feeling..stupid people...good luck, man
Old 12-21-2005, 08:24 AM
69vette66
Pro

you should be able to buy just the mast. most likely when he pulled on in he stripped out th nylon teeth.

larry
Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 AM
flynbyu82
Advanced

Two days ago I was driving through a parking lot and was stopped at one of the stop signs. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a lady backing up, straight into my back right quarter panel! I pulled up as fast as a could, immediatly put the car and park, and got out to take a look. Sure enough, she was already resting on my car by the time I had pulled up and left about a 1 foot rub mark. "I heard my backing up sensor beeping, but I could of swore you already went by !!" She was an elderly woman so I went easy on her, and most of it buffed out with some wax when I got home. Can still see alittle, but Ill probly take it to my painter soon to see what he can do
Old 12-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

I don't know what makes people do stupid things. My boss stopped by yesterday w/his 12 yr old son. I just finished polishing the vette and he was admiring it, while his 12 yr old walked around the car rubbing his hands and every part and touched and grabbed my mirrors, antenia you name it. You know I wanted to yell "Keep your #@*!@#* paws off my car but couldn't .
Old 12-21-2005, 10:41 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you
The guy must have had the brain of a 5-year old... I can't imagine doing anything like that to somebody else's car... 'Hands off' is understood. Best of luck in your repair. Question: did he give any reason for his stupid action?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
kona
Drifting

Heres another good one. I take my car to the shop a couple months ago and when I go to pick it up there is this 300 pound plus Bubba sitting in my car with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and of course his set of 50 keys hanging on his belt scratching the **** out of everything.
I ask what the hell are you doing and he said " I aint never been in a Corvette before just wanted to check it out". You just have to wonder what people are thinking when they do such stupid things.
Like my Dad used to say IF IT'S NOT YOURS DON"T TOUCH IT!!!

Kona
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I . Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Thank you
When I bought a used Ford Taurus for my daughter in law, the antenna (electric) was broke. The antenna mast was partially extended and won't move. I bought a replacement antenna mast. The replacement's appearance was of the segmented collapsible metal sections (the antenna mast) with a long thin nylon cord (a nylon "wire") attached. The replacement mast had instructions on how to install it.

I removed the broken mast (I forget how, I think I had someone turn on the radio, which caused the electric motor to run in the "mast extend direction" and then I just pulled out the old mast). The nylon cord of the old antenna mast had be damaged by the extention gears of the motor. It had a chewed up appearance. Anyhow, I stuck the nylon cord of the new mast into the opening and had someone turn off the radio. The electric motor then started running in the "mast retract direction," the gears grabbed the nylon cord of the new mast and wound the new mast into place. A perfect repair and it's worked fine since.

See if you can get a replacement mast and look at the installation instructions. Perhaps you won't have to buy a complete new electric antenna. Good Luck
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by pws69
I hope he has a broken finger or two....
Or a face
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 PM
zamika0a
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TedH
Question: did he give any reason for his stupid action?
He said "I’m sorry, I thought it was the pull out type." I could have said/done many things, but I just got out of this seminar titled “seven habits of highly effective people” it covered how you should be proactive rather than reactive in one of its segments. You know, not reacting (mostly feelings) to things that happen around you. There was nothing that I could have said/done that would have changed what happened so, I accepted it and started planning fixing it. Another reason was because I was at an upscale part of town with a female friend and didn’t want look like a jack *** my self. Man, if this happened in another part of town and I was with one of my buddies this would be a whole different thread. You know, how most male friends tend to fuel your anger. Then $h!t happens
Old 12-21-2005, 11:01 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

worst that ever happend to me (so far) was some jack *** at school spray painted silver stripes from the rear quarter all the way upto the front fender. all because some damn sophmores/juniors didnt like our senior prank of blocking off the entire parking lot just for our selfs.

i got lucky and it just buffed out. otheres wernt so lucky, they had smashed in windshields and license plates thrown all over the hill out by the road.

ive got a slight temper when it comes to people messing with my things, so needless to say i probably wouldnt be sitting here right now if i ever found out who it was.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:16 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The 7 Habits...and what they'll do to help your group (Summary)

Be Proactive - Fosters courage to take risks and accept new challenges to achieve goals

Begin with the End in Mind - Brings projects to completion and unites teams and organizations under a shared vision, mission, and purpose

Put First Things First - Promotes getting the most important things done first and encourages direct effectiveness

Think Win-Win - Encourages conflict resolution and helps individuals seek mutual benefit, increasing group momentum

Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood - Helps people understand problems, resulting in targeted solutions; and promotes better communications, leading to successful problem-solving

Synergize - Ensures greater "buy-in" from team members and leverages the diversity of individuals to increase levels of success

Sharpen the Saw - Promotes continuous improvements and safeguards against "burn-out" and subsequent nonproductivity

But remember, above all else, anybody f**ks with your vette, they die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:07 AM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Approach with a smile on your face and hand extended, "Hi, my name is ___________. What's yours?"

While shaking hands and a smile on your face, "Bill, did you know that you just broke the power antenna on my restored collecter car by pulling it out?"

With a smile still on your face, "I'm sure you want to settle this without getting the authorities involved. A reproduction power antenna like that one is about $200, plus labor. If you give me $200 plus your business card, I'll cover the labor and If I can find a reproduction part for less, I'll send you the difference. Does that sound fair to you?"

If he's a man, he should pay you or negotiate a lower price. If he blows you off, with a smile on your face ask "Bill, how do you spell your last name?" Then call the police to report the vandalism.

Of course, I'm sitting here nice and calm typing this. Not spitting nails watching some pinhead damage my vette.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100%
Old 12-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Kryms3n
Melting Slicks

Why the F*!@ were you touching my car?!! I probably would have gone "Loco". Was he a "special" person?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Two words: justifiable homicide

Get notified of new replies

To A Jack a$$ screwed up my antenna!

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
steves_77vette
Racer

You might be able to tell I am a parent of teen-agers. I am fair and firm but also unrelenting in living one basic observation:

If you tolerate bad manners, they only get WORSE!

I wouldn't have hit the guy but he should at least be told to not go around "playing" with other people's things. :
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 AM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steves_77vette
I am a parent of teen-agers.

....he should at least be told to not go around "playing" with other people's things. :

I agree, going around playing with other people's things will get you trouble, and possiblty a VD as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteboy1976kr
Two words: justifiable homicide

Exactly!...

Quick Reply: A Jack a$$ screwed up my antenna!