C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 door panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1980 door panels

I just bought an '80 vette which has just had the paint and interior done. The only items that weren't put back in the car are the door panels, but new ones were included in the sale. Here is my question. Just exactly how do the panels go back on? I have some of it figured out but not all. Most door panels go back on with the plastic screws that push in and there seems to be no provision for them on the door panel. I know that the top of the panel just pushes down in the door frame and the arm rests bolt through the panel, but the rest is sort of a mystery. I'm thinking adhesive on part of the door panel. It looks as though there is a trace of it on the window motor cover. Also, any advice on trimming the panel (cutouts) would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is only held on by screws. If they are new panels, you won't have any of the holes for screws or the pdl switch or door latch or arm rest.

There are two screws that are only in the door panel. One is under the top right corner of the map pocket. The other is at the bottom rear corner of the door panel. The rest of the screws pass through the door panel after going through the arm rest which has 3 screws. The door latch escutcheon panel has one, but does not pass through the door panel. However, when the trim pulls into the door, it pulls down on the panel.. The pdl switch and remote mirror eschutcheon are installed on the door panel, but do not attach to the door itself.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:50 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be similar to my 1981 - push pins at the bottom of the panel after you hang it on the inner door frame from TOP down. There are screws at the corners as well. Look at the inside of your door and locate all the screw holes. There are dress stainless steel screws and washers as shown in the following pictures:

Hope this helps
Old 01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pics help alot. thanks! Hopefully I can get these things hung in a day or two. I ordered the hardware on Friday. Having to stare at the bare door frames just doesn't get it!!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
The Ram
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 screw top corner, 2 in the arm pads, 1 in the handle holder...and 1 above the map holder...i think thats it...

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 door panels

Quick Reply: 1980 door panels