Sponsored by:

Grill bracket install 69

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
sarchevyman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grill bracket install 69

I am installing 69 grill brackets on my 68 since the 68 year are so hard to find, question I have is the mounting, I have looked at the pics on all the vender sites but still can't see how these fit. Long shot, but is anyone at a point on there restro that they can take some pics and send them my way? Beers are on me Thanks Steve
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default it's been a while

since I did mine. I remember a lot of cursing, bending, guessing, and more cursing. Alignment of the center section was the hardest. Seems as though the directional lights held the outside bracket in position from the top, bolts through the valance on the bottom, and the center section required a lot of test fitting to get right. Alignment was more complicated than I had anticipated. Then there are the headlight blackouts. They were a B.... to fit properly.

Mark
Old 01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do these help you?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
sarchevyman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those shots are great, they will go a long way in getting this fitted. Thanks for taking the time to send them my way.
Thanks steve
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
David68
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll throw a thanks to Red as well. In pic # 11 showing the parking/turn light support, did you attach the bottom of the support with a bolt through the valance and reglass the bolt hole? I can feel where the old support was secured but I'm a little uneasy drilling holes. Thanks ...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm glad the pics were of some help! David, actually I used the holes that were already in the valence. The front splash aprons are new and they come very close to the support holes. I believe I did some grinding in the area for support bracket fit and clearance. After looking at this area of many early C-3's, it appears each was done a little different. In many respects these were hand built cars with many variations. Some had a notch cut in the splash apron to clear the two support bracket holes. I will suggest rough fitting the grill and brackets until you get clearance from headlight movement. I still get a light strike from the driver side light as it comes up. One advantage of working in fiberglass, simple to reglass a hole if in error.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
David68
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Red ... It will be awhile before the actual install. Right now the car is in pieces as I do a frame replacement and I'm doing all of those "while I've got it this far" refurbishing jobs. Just takes time. I'll file your response for that project. A difference between the `68 & `69 light support mounts is the `68 used rivets for attachment where the `69 used a threaded fastener. From that I take it that I need to drill a countersunk hole to secure the mount then glass over the bolt head. Am I interpreting that process correctly? Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Grill bracket install 69

Quick Reply: Grill bracket install 69