Sponsored by:

color

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
kessler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default color

need some advice. In the process of rebuilding a 71 BB T-Top. It has original engine and is mostly stock. I presently have it stripped and off the frame. This will probably be the best and only time to receive a quality paint job. Problem is its' yellow. Yellow is ok but not my favorite. If I paint it a different color how much does it hurt the value of the car???. I plan on keeping it for awhile then probably will sell it for another project.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

only hurts the value if the car has never been hit or repainted before..
Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 PM
694speed350
Race Director

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts

I think if you want to keep the car then paint it any color you want to. my car was silver from the factory the next owner of it can repaint it silver if he wants to it's red now and i like it that way. if you think that it should be repainted original color then do it otherwise paint it the color you want.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

the early chrome bumper sharks are really rising in value, especially an original motor BB car so to me the choice would be simple.
If you plan on keeping it for a long time than paint it whatever color you choose but if your plans are selling it as you mention than I'd repaint it the original color. Most purchasers of an original motor car are looking for a car to be as stock and "correct' as possible, including the paint and interior matching what the trim tags says it should be. If it's not, expect your resell value to be reduced at least by the amount of the price of a quality paint job because that's what the purchaser is going to want to end up doing to bring the car back to the correct trim tag color so figure $5,000 to $10,000 difference in selling price if it's the wrong color.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Swamper
Instructor

I have 69 BB vert, original color " riverside gold" Unless I'm planning on quitting my job to become a 70's **** star i'll never paint it that color. Right now it has a rough black laquer job on it and I am planning on repainting in the next year or so. It's a very hard decision. We've thought about burgandy but I am leaning back to black. The previous owner also did a bad job dying the interior black so i'll need to clean that up as well. I've seen only a few riverside gold resto jobs at shows and talked to the owners. Most were ncrs guru's doin' it for the $$ and not the . It's a toss up. Yellow, like gold , is a color you either love or hate. I think you tighten up the desireability of the car with colors that are way out of fashion. If you plan on a top flite perfect car paint the factory color. Most guys don't have the time and $$$ for that and I think you will get just as fair of a price later with your favorite color. swamper
Old 03-04-2006, 06:02 AM
breathial
Pro

Originally Posted by Swamper
I have 69 BB vert, original color " riverside gold" Unless I'm planning on quitting my job to become a 70's **** star i'll never paint it that color. Right now it has a rough black laquer job on it and I am planning on repainting in the next year or so. It's a very hard decision. We've thought about burgandy but I am leaning back to black. The previous owner also did a bad job dying the interior black so i'll need to clean that up as well. I've seen only a few riverside gold resto jobs at shows and talked to the owners. Most were ncrs guru's doin' it for the $$ and not the . It's a toss up. Yellow, like gold , is a color you either love or hate. I think you tighten up the desireability of the car with colors that are way out of fashion. If you plan on a top flite perfect car paint the factory color. Most guys don't have the time and $$$ for that and I think you will get just as fair of a price later with your favorite color. swamper
After posting a link on here, regarding color, I've decided to do mine HOK tangerine over metallic gold, to give a metallic orange. Then, a black "Motion" -style stripe over the rear spoiler and up over the top...

Swamper's right- do what you think will look good to YOU. If you like red, well... Let's just say they call it "RESALE RED" for a reason...
Old 03-04-2006, 10:25 AM
kessler
Instructor

thanks guys, I think I will go with non original color. Something I like. Looking at Steel City Grey or Blue.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
FOLDNTOP
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
the early chrome bumper sharks are really rising in value, especially an original motor BB car so to me the choice would be simple.
If you plan on keeping it for a long time than paint it whatever color you choose but if your plans are selling it as you mention than I'd repaint it the original color. Most purchasers of an original motor car are looking for a car to be as stock and "correct' as possible, including the paint and interior matching what the trim tags says it should be. If it's not, expect your resell value to be reduced at least by the amount of the price of a quality paint job because that's what the purchaser is going to want to end up doing to bring the car back to the correct trim tag color so figure $5,000 to $10,000 difference in selling price if it's the wrong color.
I agree.

Get notified of new replies

To color

Quick Reply: color