Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers - what is best to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
C3Andrew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers - what is best to buy?

I want to get some great sounding speakers behind the stock grille? Suggestions as to what is good, sounds good, and FITS?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,572 Likes on 811 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The newer speakers don't fit real well as the frames are deeper. I was able to trim away some of stock speaker bracket and fit speakers behind the stock grills.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
C3Andrew
Advanced

Cool;thanks. What size and brand did you use?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Do a search, there are a couple of good post on this for making grills that fit and look good. I have a very heavy pair of aluminum 6x9's that work well, but had to make plates for them, like gliot said, they are too deep. But with just a bit of work it turned out nice.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Beater
Instructor

I like the Alpine type-S 3-element speakers.

The type-R spund as good if not better in some cases, but you need to run a seprate Amp. The type-s can be run on the head unit.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone is correct, I don't think there are many "good" speakers that are going to fit well in the standard location.

I have 6X9 Infinity 3 ways, and I really like them. They were supposed to fit, but of course they didn't.

I made these these enclosures. http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/msgc/038ac461.jpg http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/msgc/1b4c3e78.jpg I've never seen anyone else with anything similar. I really like them because they take up zero usable space in the back.

I know, you audiophiles are going to tell me that they don't have enough space in them for good bass. True, and neither do the stock locations, nor most cabinets that are going to allow for any kind of storage in the back.

I do have a powered sub-woofer that takes care of the bottom end, and I can just unplug, and remove it when space is more important than sound, yet I still have decent sound with the 6X9s. I also have some Polk Audio 2-ways in the dash.

And, it's hard to argue with my security system!! http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/msgc/b7de49df.jpg
Old 05-09-2006, 08:45 AM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
C3Andrew
Advanced

Thanks guys. CCristo; do you have a template for the enclosure you made?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Konkol1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently bought a Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer for the rear of my '73. With the dash, kick panel, and (Fiero) headrest speakers I have installed, the Alpine (9813) sounds great but lacked bass. I actually mounted it upside down on a piece of 3/4" plywood. It sits up it the cubby hole area up against the rear deck between the rear window and rear bulkhead. Nobody even knows it there until you turn it on. The plywood is mounted to the metal plates via brackets and at the rear it just sits on the ledge at the top of the bulkhead. I use dynamat to increase the width of the plywood at the rear so it would be a nice snug fit. Worked out great. Doesn't interfere with my storage area at all. Only a 6" woofer & passive radiator, but for my tastes, and not wanting to eliminate the storage space, it has worked out rather well.
Dale in Badgerland
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

I'm glad I'm skilled in speaker box building and have a fully equipped shop and can do it myself.

That guys making a killing with $15 worth of materials, drill, jigsaw and an hour of his time

Good idea though
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
cchristo
Pro

Originally Posted by C3Andrew
Thanks guys. CCristo; do you have a template for the enclosure you made?
Sorry, I don't at this time. I'll try to either make one up or post some detailed pictures this weekend. I'm in the process of moving.

Interestingly, (at least to me) I made these in one evening in a motel room with nothing more than a leatherman, a bunch of super glue and some kitchen caulk. The maid was pissed at me the next morning!
I made them just to get by until I got back home a couple months later and make some "real" ones.
Several years later, I'm still using them!

They are made out of the thin pressed sheet material that is used in the backs of cabinets, mirrors, etc. and some 1x1 pine.

There are only 3 major pieces to them, and they are all visible in the pics. There is no back, the enclosure is completed by the rear wall and wheel well of the car.

I used the cardboard from a case of beer to form templates for the curved piece that you see setting on the wheel well. Everything else is just rectangles.

I used the 1x1 pine to brace the insides and give it some structural rigidity.

I used super glue to piece it all together.

I used caulk to.... well, I don't know exactly why I used it, the enclosure isn't airtight anyway. But I ended up running thick beads of it on all the joints, I suppose it adds some strength to the whole thing.

I wrapped it in some carpeting that I believe I got from Michaels (a big arts & crafts store) and used spray glue to make it stick.

I used velcro to keep them from falling over.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
C3Andrew
Advanced

I can relate CChristo. Hey I'm the one that uses a pizza box (unused one) as my "paint booth" for small parts. Thanks for your post.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Speakers - what is best to buy?

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers - what is best to buy?