Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antique registration frustrations!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
wolfehunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antique registration frustrations!

I'm from Pa. and recently bought a 71 vette from New York. New York is not required to have a title for cars prior to 1973 so I just got a Bill of Sale and a trasferable registration from the seller. So I'd like to put antique tags on this car and title it here in Pa. I have these on my Chevelle for now for 10 years so I'm familiar with the process but checked out the website to see if anything has changed. I had a meeting in Harrisburg last Tuesday near the DOT building so I took the bill of sale, proof of insurance, transferable registration, MV-1 and MV-11 forms and 4 color photos of the car(front back and both sides). She said everything looks good but she needs verification of the VIN # and proceeds to show me the method of getting it. 1. picture of it 2. lay a piece of paper on it and shade over it with a pencil or 3. get an inspection mechanic to fill out the form and verify the VIN for the car. So that's OK, maybe I missed that while reading the instructions(didn't go back and check it out), so I get a picture of the VIN when I get home.
Since I don't get to Harrisburg often and live like 60 miles away, I checked with a Tag Service Company only 20 miles from my home and they said they could take care of it and I'd have my plates in about 7 days. So I take all my information there on Friday evening and the girl tells me that my photos won't work because they are not on "photo quality" paper. Explained that the girl in Hbg. said they were fine but she said they go through different channels and she couldn't except them. So I ask the wife to get me some photo paper and take 4 new pictures because I deleted them off the digital camera....duh! I then take them there on Saturday and a different woman tells me she can't except the two side view pictures because the windows were down!! I about freaked out on her! She said it would be denied. Sure wish someone along the way would have given me some of this extra information along the way. So now I take two more new pictures with the freaken windows up and take it there on Monday night. She says all looks good but that the sidpipes might be a problem since they aren't original to the car! But she processed it for me anyways. Guess we'll see if DOT passes it! Guess I could take them off, take some more pictures (with the windows up), and resubmit! Freaken A!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The agony of it all...send them this pic..

Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods

good point! Aside from the closeup pic of the vin plate, how do they even know the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
one was ....... are even your car?

(anyone, let me know if you recognize the quote)
Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
wolfehunter
Instructor

The windows were down so they won't accept that one either!! It has been a royal PITA! Spent more $ in gas than I'll save not having to pay for registration every year "IF" it gets approved! Bureaucratic bullcrap!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
mpett1
Pro

That wouldnt pass either here in PA because of the hood. Nice though.. I had to buy rims for my firebird to get the plates because the ones I had on the car were not origanal.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

Originally Posted by wolfehunter
She says all looks good but that the sidpipes might be a problem since they aren't original to the car! But she processed it for me anyways. Guess we'll see if DOT passes it! Guess I could take them off
Find someone who knows how to use Photoshop
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
good point! Aside from the closeup pic of the vin plate, how do they even know the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
one was ....... are even your car?

(anyone, let me know if you recognize the quote)
Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant

"You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaaaaaaurant".

Ahhh, the good ole' days!
Old 07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfehunter
I then take them there on Saturday and a different woman tells me she can't except the two side view pictures because the windows were down!!
should have told her "no they aren't down, they are just really, really clean"!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Arlo Gunthrie (sp?) rocks!

Just a case of american blind justice...
Old 07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mpett1
That wouldnt pass either here in PA because of the hood. Nice though.. I had to buy rims for my firebird to get the plates because the ones I had on the car were not origanal.
Hood ? Are you kidding me ? Out here I once built a baja bug from just a floor pan...went out got a body,engine etc...threw the thing together with fiberglass fenders and registered it..
I had the pink slip for the floor pan..
Old 07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
mpett1
Pro

Hood ? Are you kidding me ? Out here I once built a baja bug from just a floor pan...went out got a body,engine etc...threw the thing together with fiberglass fenders and registered it..
I had the pink slip for the floor pan..
No you misunderstood you can get it registered but they will not give you antique tags for it.. Sorry for the
Old 07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I was told that about the windows being down on mine 2 years ago and that they *might* not accept it, but it went through no problem. I also just printed the pics on plain paper and that went through no problem. I think what you unfortunately ran into was 2 different sets of misconceptions.

As to the sidepipes.. how in the heck would they know they're not original? It's not like the VINs of the era tell them it was an original sidepipe car and they didn't ask for a trim tag... it's a state registration, not Bloomington Gold. It'll be fine.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Went through the same Things the pics I had the t tops where off and they were sent back Then the windows were down and they were sent back Then I didnt sign Jr. behind my name sincce my dad died 40 years ago I dont use it they sent it back. The whole fiassco probably cost the state more than they made. But I did get them
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

My God. I thought KA had stupid rules. You poor folks are being jerked around for the most azzinine reasons I've ever seen. Who the he!! cares if the windows are down in the picture! Or the T-Tops are off. Just sad. Someone at the DMV was obviously ordered to not think for a living.

Get notified of new replies

To Antique registration frustrations!

Quick Reply: Antique registration frustrations!