C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

how much you think i should charge for breakdance lessons?.... this will determine my collar statis...

we are all under the same control.... the dollar
Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Crazy81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
White collar is "better" than Blue collar.

Thats why you bust your as to get a degree to be a professional.

Like you say it doesn't mean you will make more money but you will have a more "desireable" job.

and before you guys jump my shi+, because i'm being honest.

if you had a kid would you tell him to forget school and learn a trade or at least try a hand at college to be an engineer or doctor?
The town I live in is full of blue collar millionaires. Refinery workers with little more than a high school education knocking down six figures easily and get stock options to boot. How would any of you like to have been getting Exxon stock as a perk for the past 25 years.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:22 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Crazy81
The town I live in is full of blue collar millionaires. Refinery workers with little more than a high school education knocking down six figures easily and get stock options to boot. How would any of you like to have been getting Exxon stock as a perk for the past 25 years.
Sounds good. Tell your kids to ****can college, drop out of high school, and go to work at the refinery.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Turtle you play nice.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is a pretty good mix of various socio-economic groups, including a good number of races and religions as well.

The bonding factor is the fact that we all have a common interest.

I could probably hang with all of you...rich / poor / aisian /
latino / black / white / male / female / north / south / east / west
...... just as long as your expression of freedom does not threaten mine.
I would fight for your rights until they encroach mine!

Blue collar...White collar.....Don't matter to me !

Cheers !
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

turtle with tricked out doors......

Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I wore a T shirt and blue jeans when I worked in an engineering department as a senior product designer, you should have seen what I wore on casual Friday
Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had very wealthy people come into my shop , as well as store clerks or stock-boys. They have one thing in common: They all own a 'Vette.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
Let's see, I know 2 cops and 1 fireman who own C6's and a construction worker who owns a C5 and we all know they don't have incredibly high incomes. And, I know people like myself who own rubber bumper cars and make more than 100k. So your logic is flawed. Actually, the demographic for the newer vettes are people over 50. Look it up.

Sorry I posted the thread, as it's become impossible on this forum to just get people's opinions without the bashing. I hope you enjoyed yourself.
I know a fireman that just retired and his retirement is 85k/year.
Times have changed.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

And, I know people like myself who own rubber bumper cars and make more than 100k.
Thanks for clarifying the whole purpose of your post Congrats
Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Midwest Muscle
Instructor

I think the Vette is probably one of those rides that is 'collar blind'. Sorry, couldn't resist - But I also believe it to be true!

Mike M
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm rich blue collar
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 AM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I work in electrical maintenance at a nuclear power plant. I would say I am blue collar. BTW, I could not resist the lyrics below. I have always liked this STYX song.

Great song !
Old 08-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Crazy81
Pro

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Sounds good. Tell your kids to ****can college, drop out of high school, and go to work at the refinery.
The friends I have that went there right out of high school are a hell of allot better off than I am. I never wanted to work in a refinery so I went to college. BFD! What I tell my son is to find somthing he will enjoy doing and go for it. I really don't care what he does as long as he can take care of himself and is happy doing it. I love what I do and am happy with my decissions so I don't feel the need to ride my kid and force him into somthing so I can live through him like a lot people do.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Crazy81
Pro

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
Crazy81 are you running for public office lol.
haven't thought about it but maybe I should give it a shot. First order of business, Kick out all illegals.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
I think it is a pretty good mix of various socio-economic groups, including a good number of races and religions as well.

The bonding factor is the fact that we all have a common interest.

I could probably hang with all of you...rich / poor / aisian /
latino / black / white / male / female / north / south / east / west
...... just as long as your expression of freedom does not threaten mine.
I would fight for your rights until they encroach mine!

Blue collar...White collar.....Don't matter to me !

Cheers !
Old 08-07-2006, 02:15 AM
E_Tar
Le Mans Master

I was at a car cruise the other night and overheard someone saying that he thought Vettes were "Blue Collar". Well, for one I am not Blue Collar but it did start me thinking...what percentage of vette owners do you think are blue collar?? Thoughts??
Yes I am blue collar, but only when I wear blue to work

and yes, some kids here are a bit too touchy.. It's a forum, not real life, so chill..

Get notified of new replies

To Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??

Old 08-07-2006, 02:35 AM
rustbucket80
Racer

I work in electrical maintenance in a steel mill. Human resources refer to us as Gold collar workers. Most of us are close to six figure incomes. during layoffs the white collar workers go first.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Am_I_there_yet?
6th Gear

"White collar is "better" than Blue collar.

Thats why you bust your as to get a degree to be a professional.

Like you say it doesn't mean you will make more money but you will have a more "desireable" job.

and before you guys jump my shi+, because i'm being honest.

if you had a kid would you tell him to forget school and learn a trade or at least try a hand at college to be an engineer or doctor?"

Don't worry I'm not jumping all over you, but it does bring up an interesting point. Too many people have preconceived notions about titles.
You say blue is better than white because white collar jobs are more desireable.

I don't believe white collar equals more money or a more desireable job. And you definately don't need a degre to be a professional. Professionalism is a level of performance. I know plenty of folks who do great work and have no degree and I know plenty of the opposite.

I sense that maybe from the point of an older generation getting that degree was the ideal and used ot mean that you worked harder to acheive it, but since it seems like all of us younger folks (I'm 24) have degrees these days, it doesn't quite mean what it used to. Know what I mean?

I think it really depends on what makes you happy at the end of the day. I know plenty of struggling doctors and lawyers and more than enough rich plumbing contractors and mechanics. Some people can't stand ot be stcuk indoors all day shuffling paper. Others love to work with their hands, and some mechanics don't care that their hand will never come clean no matter how many layers of skin the scrub off with fast orange or cherry bomb. So its impossible to say which jobs are "more desireable" or which jobs pay more. These days the lines have become so blurred.

As we all can see from this discussion, its all totally subjective.

Interesting discussion though.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:51 AM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy81
The friends I have that went there right out of high school are a hell of allot better off than I am. I never wanted to work in a refinery so I went to college. BFD! What I tell my son is to find somthing he will enjoy doing and go for it. I really don't care what he does as long as he can take care of himself and is happy doing it. I love what I do and am happy with my decissions so I don't feel the need to ride my kid and force him into somthing so I can live through him like a lot people do.
I started working right out of high school because I knew my parents couldn't afford to send me to college, so while I was working, I had about a 6yr head start on my friends who went college and spent 4+ years partying, then another 2+ years in some crappy entry level a** kissing job. I don't think the term "Blue Collar" carries the same social "stigma" it once did. There's a book out called the "Millionaire Next Door". It shows how there are plenty of plumbers, electricians, etc., who are millionaires doing "blue collar" type of professions. I don't get a bigger thrill than when I'm at a customer's house doing work for them, and they'll treat me in a condescending manner as if I'm some laborer. Little do they know I live in house worth 4 times what theirs is, with a car collection and daily drivers worth over $400k! Not to mention I will be retired by the time I am 40.

I was born into the Corvette world, sitting on the console of my dad's '67 roadster shifting for him when I was 2 yrs old. He still has that car today along with his C6 Z06 and my mom's C5 coupe. I have a '67 and a '73 and don't think I ever once thought about if I or my parents were white collar or blue collar people....we were, are and probably always will be Corvette People!

Quick Reply: Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??