Sponsored by:

Ok Newbie Here Lowdown On Sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
ed70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Best side pipe photo ever, looks kinda liquid....
How hard is it to remember (or to remind a passenger) not to stick your leg on a flame-hot steel pipe?
Sort of like remembering not to slam your fingers in the door when you close it
yes i agree i think im going to have to go with the hooker brand,and i just looked at your photos yellow 72 that car screams IM FAST
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 261 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ed70
hey duke did you have to do anything as far as shielding the pipe from the body maybe a dumb question but inquiring minds would like to know!! and by the way are they easy to install to the frame?
Nope, no shielding to the body (car), just the legs.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

IMA66/74, what engine is in that 74? Those pipes sound sweet. My wife would say I ruined the car. I would have a different opinion.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bone stock l48 with shorty headers. makes it sound nice huh lol
Old 08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Chris Bastianpillai
8th Gear

I have Dynomax headers. Will the Hooker side pipes fit?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 AM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dropped the car off to get the Patriot H1060 sidepipes installed on my 76. I had to get some J bends from Hooker since my headers were full length. I am sooo eager to get the car back later this afternoon.

Hopefully I can pick it up by 2.....I can't wait.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Coming soon, just waiting to finalize with GM licensing, then to get to be a forum vendor.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
Coming soon, just waiting to finalize with GM licensing, then to get to be a forum vendor.

Now THAT is cool! When I put pipes on my car, that's what I want to get.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just picked up the vette after getting the sidepipes installed. It looks and sounds awesome

Shop charged me $400 to install them which I thought was a bit high for just labor but oh well. He told me I was getting a deal as well cause it took him 8 hours to get them completely on and welded everywhere.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:17 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyW
Just picked up the vette after getting the sidepipes installed. It looks and sounds awesome

Shop charged me $400 to install them which I thought was a bit high for just labor but oh well. He told me I was getting a deal as well cause it took him 8 hours to get them completely on and welded everywhere.

What brand of sidepipes did you go with that needed welding, my Hookers took about 4 hours to do.

$400 seems awful high even for a welded set to me
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DZRick
What brand of sidepipes did you go with that needed welding, my Hookers took about 4 hours to do.

$400 seems awful high even for a welded set to me
Patriot H1060 sidepipes. I have full length headers so had to do a 180 and then a 90 into the sidepipe collector. I bought the mandrel j bends from Summit so there were no parts needed. I just brought him all the parts and the shop installed everything. I thought it was a bit high as well but I was charged based on labor. I guess it just took him a while to get them on. He only charged me for about 4 hours of work but it took him much longer. I don't think he was trying to screw me in any way, but it just took him quite a while to get everything done.

As for what was welded....had them weld the mandrel bends directly to the header collectors and then the other end was welded to the collector of the sidepipe. I also had them weld the end piece on as well so nothing could move or rattle. I know it will be a bitch to remove if ever done, but I do not plan on doing that anytime soon.

Last edited by MartyW; 08-18-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyW
Patriot H1060 sidepipes. I have full length headers so had to do a 180 and then a 90 into the sidepipe collector. I bought the mandrel j bends from Summit so there were no parts needed. I just brought him all the parts and the shop installed everything.

Ah, maybe $400 wasn't so bad after all.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:56 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember, with a 71 (actually 68-72) once you remove the under car exhaust you'll have the cutouts in the rear valence to deal with. Just an extra cost to factor in.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:20 PM
IMA 66
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 not bad...they charged me 200 just to weld a pipe up from the shorty header to the side pipes. I had already mounted my side pipes on the car. 400 is actually pretty good if they did the whole deal.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IMA66/74
400 not bad...they charged me 200 just to weld a pipe up from the shorty header to the side pipes. I had already mounted my side pipes on the car. 400 is actually pretty good if they did the whole deal.
I feel much better now. My wallet feels about the same, but I do feel better I am happy with the job and he is still gonna allow me to go back to him for some final adjusting after I drive it around for a while. He left the exhaust tip only tack welded on with 4 beads so if I am not happy with the position we can change it. Also I still need to decide if I am happy with the final position of the heat sheilds as well. Once I am happy with everything he is gonna fully weld in the exhaust tip and then cut off most of the clamps that hold on the shield so that you can't see the clamps at all even when you are look at them from low down.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Dobermann
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean

What are you going to sell them for? Those are probably the only side exhause covers I've seen and actually liked.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Howy
Racer

I have patriots on my 74,got them from summit and also got headman headers with the collector on the side.Local muffler shop charged me $150 to install after i had the headers installed.

Wife burned herself twice,once on the second day getting out of the passenger side and once on the third day getting out of the driver's side.Yes this was the first time she ever drove it.She loves the sound and the look and would never ask me to take them off.

I warn everyone that gets in and out or even get close to the pipes that they are extremely hot but one day i brought my kids to frolic and one of the coaches wanted to play a trick on me when i wasn't looking opened the door and burned herself trying to get in the car.I felt bad but the joke was on her.

Quick Reply: Ok Newbie Here Lowdown On Sidepipes