Have you ever done a "Bubba" mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by optical
OH MY EYES!

What you don't like Yellow It is the most noticeable color to the human eye. At least its not sea foam green, or hot Pepto pink.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The rear bumper fell off my sons 90 dodge monaco, a screw gun and several drywall screws later he was back in business.
ESU
Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
ESU
Drifting

Dont know if this counts as Bubba, you tell me. Back in the late 70's I had a 77 trans am and was taking it to spring break down in Ft Lauderdale. Like most college students our 2 biggest concerns were beer and girls. There was 3 of us in my car and were trying to figure out how to keep alcohol in the car and not get caught by the cops the way down to FLA. Spring break time on 95 fro NY to Fla is a feeding ground for troopers and such. 1 car from my dorm had removable rear speakers on the back deck so they could toss the emptys into the trunk, another guy a a hole in his floorboard so the empties went out the bottom of the car. I took it one step further. I removed the windshield washer container and boiled it out in our apartment. I picked up a few feet of new rubber hose and re-installed everything and routed the hose thru the firewall and into the ashtray area. When you opened the ash tray inside the car the rubber hose was sticking out a little. Push the washer button and youd get three good squirts of Gin with which I had filled the washer reservoir. Inside the car was only a cooler with tonic water and ice but no alcohol. Made for a very interesting ride down and the girls down there thought it was great.
ESU
Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by ESU
Dont know if this counts as Bubba, you tell me. Back in the late 70's I had a 77 trans am and was taking it to spring break down in Ft Lauderdale. Like most college students our 2 biggest concerns were beer and girls. There was 3 of us in my car and were trying to figure out how to keep alcohol in the car and not get caught by the cops the way down to FLA. Spring break time on 95 fro NY to Fla is a feeding ground for troopers and such. 1 car from my dorm had removable rear speakers on the back deck so they could toss the emptys into the trunk, another guy a a hole in his floorboard so the empties went out the bottom of the car. I took it one step further. I removed the windshield washer container and boiled it out in our apartment. I picked up a few feet of new rubber hose and re-installed everything and routed the hose thru the firewall and into the ashtray area. When you opened the ash tray inside the car the rubber hose was sticking out a little. Push the washer button and youd get three good squirts of Gin with which I had filled the washer reservoir. Inside the car was only a cooler with tonic water and ice but no alcohol. Made for a very interesting ride down and the girls down there thought it was great.
ESU
I don't think this is Bubba at all. Pretty clever really. Probably socially unacceptable now, but pretty clever none the less.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:55 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most everything I do on the 72 is a Bubba mod. I do the best I can but I tend to get in a rush. I want to do it myself, but everything is "first time" quality. I'm getting good at changing out parts. but as you all know..........anyone can take 'em apart.........
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

I was rebuilding my horn button with some cardboard gasket material, but couldn't find nylon pushpins that fit well, so I ziptied it all together.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

OK this is a little bit of both clever and bubba.I was 17 and 3 of us were in Ft.Lauderdale for spring break(and this 77 trans am damn near ran over us-think it was ESU ).We had spent all but $20 which we saved for gas for the ride home.Got the old bug up on 75 and headed north, set the cruise control(brick on the gas pedal)and 15 miles later the fuel pump went out.$hit Not a problem,pulled out the glove compartment and stuck the fuel tank vent hose through and blew air into the tank and pinched off the hose and headed for home.Clever-Huh? When I got home (and still broke) I hooked my bike tire pump up to the hose.Clever? Drove the car that way for almost a year. BUBBA ? Yep !!! True Story
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by DWncchs
OK this is a little bit of both clever and bubba.I was 17 and 3 of us were in Ft.Lauderdale for spring break(and this 77 trans am damn near ran over us-think it was ESU ).We had spent all but $20 which we saved for gas for the ride home.Got the old bug up on 75 and headed north, set the cruise control(brick on the gas pedal)and 15 miles later the fuel pump went out.$hit Not a problem,pulled out the glove compartment and stuck the fuel tank vent hose through and blew air into the tank and pinched off the hose and headed for home.Clever-Huh? When I got home (and still broke) I hooked my bike tire pump up to the hose.Clever? Drove the car that way for almost a year. BUBBA ? Yep !!! True Story
Was that you in the bug????
ESU
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
I don't think this is Bubba at all. Pretty clever really. Probably socially unacceptable now, but pretty clever none the less.
and my wife keeps telling me "you complain about your son?"
ESU
Old 10-26-2006, 08:43 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

[Q
UOTE=DWncchs]OK this is a little bit of both clever and bubba.I was 17 and 3 of us were in Ft.Lauderdale for spring break(and this 77 trans am damn near ran over us-think it was ESU ).
We had spent all but $20 which we saved for gas for the ride home.Got the old bug up on 75 and headed north, set the cruise control(brick on the gas pedal)and 15 miles later the fuel pump went out.$hit Not a problem,pulled out the glove compartment and stuck the fuel tank vent hose through and blew air into the tank and pinched off the hose and headed for home.Clever-Huh? When I got home (and still broke) I hooked my bike tire pump up to the hose.Clever? Drove the car that way for almost a year. BUBBA ? Yep !!! True Story[/QUOTE]

That is some quick whit. Thats the funniest thing I have read all day!!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when I was 18 I had a 59 pontiac and the muffler fell-rusted off so I took a soup can stuffed it full of steel wool and clamped it to my tail pipe and I was back on the road.Can't remember how long it lasted but I do remember doing the mod again.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ESU
Was that you in the bug????
ESU
Yep that was me. Blue 1962 -40-horsepower....Those gas fumes gave me a worse headache then all the booze I drank at the beach.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default OK. I beat you all with this one.

Working as a construction laboror living paycheck to paycheck. Bought a Nissan pickup. I was delegated to haul the tools since I had a truck. My alternator went out on the way home from Chicago about 60 miles from home. Truck was dead. Looked in the back of the truck. Had a Generator an extention cord a battery charger and a bungee strap in my tool assortment. Fired up the generator, plugged in the cord and bungee straped the battery charger to the front bumper, hooked it up to the battery and drove home. Worked pretty good so I drove it that way till payday and the weekend when I had money and time to fix it!

Last edited by 63mako; 10-26-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 PM
surfshark
Pro

When I was in high school I had a 70 1/2 Z-28 that I would spray paint the black carpet to make it look better for a while. Not too Bubba, but a little out there. Man, I miss that Camaro...
Old 10-27-2006, 12:29 AM
copter
Drifting

Originally Posted by surfshark
When I was in high school I had a 70 1/2 Z-28 that I would spray paint the black carpet to make it look better for a while. Not too Bubba, but a little out there. Man, I miss that Camaro...
You should have used some fabric dye and put it in a spray bottle.Works great.I know what you mean.I bought a brand new 70 z/28 cortez silver,small back spoiler,4 speed,tilt wheel, 4:10 rear,power brakes but manual steering.What the heck I was 18 and full of **** and viniger who needed power steering.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Here is how I fixed my busted oil pressure gauge....

Judging from the picture, it looks like I need to fix my temp gauge as well. (Don't worry, the car was off when I took the pictures, the gauges don't really read that when it is running)
Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too funny!

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever done a "Bubba" mod?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

The stories are too funny! Esp. the on-demand gin pump. Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70's a bud did kinda did the same thing in his VW bug for filling up his (ahem) water pipe.

Two tales (both true)

Tale 1. My lil' bro had a very built 70' Mach 1. He had traded the shaker hood for a detroit locker rear end, so was running it hoodless till he found another one. The throttle cable broke one morning on the way to work, so he removed both laces off've his tennis shoes and tied them to the throttle, bringing it in through the drivers window. It worked fine, till it stuck WFO approaching an intersection and he ended up having to think of something and killing the ignition at the last second.

Tale 2. The Caddy nobody owned. Four of us young Marines in the late 70's traded a pretty beat-up 64' gold Caddy between us. This saved us the trouble of having to get insurance and a base sticker every time we went through the main gate at Camp Pendeleton. The line was "I just brought the car yesterday". We got on base for many weeks before the Military Police wised up.

It ended up with a late night search of the vehicle, when my bud JJ got pulled over by the barracks with the flashing blues and reds. The MP's demanded a search of the car from front to back and asked him to open the hood. The Penn state boy, reached behind the seat and took out a baseball bat! The MP's were surprised, but he quickly explained that's how you held the hood open, which he complied with. Then they wanted in the trunk. He reached behind the seat and pulled out a large butcher knife. The MP's had the 45's out, ready to shoot him. We watched from the barracks and heard him exclaim, "Hell, guys, that's how I get the trunk open!" He walked around and stuck the knife in the trunk keyhole and popped it open. We roared in laughter to the dismay of the MP's. They didn't find nuthin', (but then again, we lucked out)
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
mr mctavish
Instructor

I extended the clutch pedal push rod, with thredded rod.
[centerforce D F, i didnt change piviot ball ]

yes- that's a nail instead of a cotter pin.

Last edited by mr mctavish; 10-27-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:01 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

OK, OK, I'll chip in a couple.....First I need to say I differentiate between "Bubba" and "Keep 'er runnin'" ("McGyver"?), both of which are aspects of "afro engineering."
Road repairs on my old Harleys were often interesting, from as simple as channel locks zip-tied on the frame to keep the swingarm pivot nut tight when the lock-tab washer broke in SoCal, or rebuilding a clutch hub in South Dakota using peanut butter to hold the 52 roller bearings in the cage, or 2x4s bungee corded between the swingarm and frame when the air shocks blew out in Utah.
My best one though was when I had a valve stick and bent the stem 25 miles past Nowhere, Nebraska. Got the head off and disassembled and rode my girlfriends Sportster back to town where the only open shop was the Briggs & Stratton agency. The man laughed at me and invited me in back where we put the valve in a vice and hit it with a hammer till it was close. He then chucked it up in his small engine valve grinder and cut a concentric seat on it. I headed back to reassemble it and realized I had no valve grinding compound and it was too late to go back and get some, if I could even find any. I took sand and ground it it up real fine between two rocks and mixed it with toothpaste. Spun the valve with a piece of rubber oil line. Worked it down to just toothpaste for the final grinding. Using two tire irons baling wired together and a 10" crescent wrench as a spring compressor, I got the keepers set.
That bike ran for thousands of miles over the next couple years with that valve in it. Good bike.
Hauling three Harley Big Twins from SoCal to Colorado in my '59 Apache 3600 truck in August one year, I started vapor locking. I had installed a windshield squirter form a Pinto in the truck, so I wrapped a bandana around the fuel pipe and stuck the squirter hoses in the ends. Every few minutes I gave it a squirt....No more vapor lock.
On my car right now, I have two things I'm "prototyping": An air dam on the front which is 5" deep and about 58" wide made from an EPDM (rubber) roof membrane reinforcement pad, and a center grill to fill the hole where my front plate used to be made from an air conditioner condenser grill. I'm not satisfied with the grill, so I think I'll try some wire mesh typically used as stucco underlayment, painted flat black, across the whole front. Let the blinkers shine through it. If that looks acceptable, I'll probably make a permanent grill screen from stainless woven wire mesh.

Carry on, keep 'em rolling.

John

Last edited by JPhil; 10-27-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Have you ever done a "Bubba" mod?