Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Coolest Guitarist Ever Drove a ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:01 PM
jomor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Coolest Guitarist Ever Drove a ???

Jimi played two concerts in Cleveland in March of 1968. Immediately following the first show, he took a cab and went to Blaushilds Chevrolet. There he test drove a brand new '68 Corvette and peeled off$8000 cash in concert proceeds buying it on the spot. He didn't even have a drivers licence and given his poor eyesight, may not have even passed the vision exam.

He was living in England at the time and convinced one of the salesmen to drive it to New York where his management could store it. He then caught a cab back to the stadium and played the second show. Returning to the States some time later that year, he had the car shipped to California and wrote it off the very first day he drove it. This would be one of several vettes he would own and wreck due to his poor eyesight and driving skills.

Jeff Beck ( another British guitar legend to those who may not know and a sports car collector) tells of driving through Manhattan with Jimi at the wheel of a 69 big block and having to stop due to the car overheating in traffic.

Any other star vettes of note?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:32 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 453 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default !st of all........

Originally Posted by jomor

Jimi played two concerts in Cleveland in March of 1968. Immediately following the first show, he took a cab and went to Blaushilds Chevrolet. There he test drove a brand new '68 Corvette and peeled off$8000 cash in concert proceeds buying it on the spot. He didn't even have a drivers licence and given his poor eyesight, may not have even passed the vision exam.

He was living in England at the time and convinced one of the salesmen to drive it to New York where his management could store it. He then caught a cab back to the stadium and played the second show. Returning to the States some time later that year, he had the car shipped to California and wrote it off the very first day he drove it. This would be one of several vettes he would own and wreck due to his poor eyesight and driving skills.

Jeff Beck ( another British guitar legend to those who may not know and a sports car collector) tells of driving through Manhattan with Jimi at the wheel of a 69 big block and having to stop due to the car overheating in traffic.

The car in the photo is 100% positive NOT a 68 vette, maybe a 69 or ???? who knows can't see enough of the car, but enough to see the door lock & it's not a 1968. Then i'm curious where you got your info as i dont know of any $8,000 dollar brand new vettes from 68 it would have had to have been an L88 to be anywhere close to that price, just curious. A base convert was in the low to mid 4's plus options........????
ZIXXX PACKER

Last edited by 427SIXPACK; 11-11-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.

Well, it may not be a '68 Jomor, but who really cares? I'm sitting here with a bottle of Screech courtesy of Gander!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i know that llcoolj (hip hop pioneer) drove a black 69 in his video going back to cali..............

b
Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you should check out Claptons blue hot rod (something like a 32 open roadster).....very very nice

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...859-1%26sa%3DN
Old 11-11-2006, 10:23 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Elvis had a 72 454 Coupe / Red
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 AM
standup
Drifting

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
The car in the photo is 100% positive NOT a 68 vette, maybe a 69 or ???? who knows can't see enough of the car, but enough to see the door lock & it's not a 1968. Then i'm curious where you got your info as i dont know of any $8,000 dollar brand new vettes from 68 it would have had to have been an L88 to be anywhere close to that price, just curious. A base convert was in the low to mid 4's plus options........????
ZIXXX PACKER
Maybe Jimi got ripped off .....I've also heard that people are paying 20 grand over list for the new Z06.....so why would it be any different in '68 ???????

Nice thread jomor ...how many Vettes do you have up there ???? And what is Screech, exactly ?????....

Old 11-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by standup
Maybe Jimi got ripped off .....I've also heard that people are paying 20 grand over list for the new Z06.....so why would it be any different in '68 ???????

Nice thread jomor ...how many Vettes do you have up there ???? And what is Screech, exactly ?????....

and whats a 68 Jomar and who's Gander?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:54 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard that when Eddie Murphy was just starting out and getting very popular on SNL he walked into Malcolm Konners wanting to buy a new Corvette and was ignored, he turned around (so I've been told) went to a different chevy dealer and bought his car, returned to M.K. chevrolet , honked his horn and waved, drove off laughing, truth or fiction,,,dunno, anybody else hear of such a thing? Peace,,, Moosie
Old 11-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimi could of drove a Pinto and he would still be the coolest, car don't make the man but in my case it don't hurt

Old 11-12-2006, 09:52 AM
jomor
Racer

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
ZIXXX PACKER
The info came from "A Roomful of Mirrors" biography of Jimi which has been widely regarded as the most intimately researched of any on Hendrix. And you are right , the one pictured isn't a 68, it is one of the several others he owned. The $8000 price tag is quoted in the book and I would suggest that being a poor black kid from Seattle and suddenly rising to become one of the biggest rock stars on the planet, Jimi would have bought the biggest and baddest vette with no regard for the price. He then had to pay to have it delivered to New York.

Screech is a very potent black rum sold here in Newfoundland that is not for the faint of heart !!! Just ask 69camfrk

I have an 81 4 speed and a 91 Z07 automatic(very rare combo).

Any yes Jimi could have driven a Pinto, AMC Spirit or a Lada and still have been the coolest!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jan of Jan & Dean had C2- wrecked it.

Grace Slick in hippy garb of Jefferson Airplane in an exotic car dealership asked the price of an exotic, was ignored & she pulls out $20,000 in cash & asked if that would cover it!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I Agree But..........

I agree

OVER STICKER YES, DOUBLE STICKER NO:

people have paid & are still paying $15 to $20K over for the new Z06 i witness it first hand everyday, as i work at a car dealership. Keep in mind though that $20K over on an $80K car is not $160 that would be double M.S.R.P
The car in question was only a $4k to $5 vette to begin & $8,000 would have been double or the price of 2 vettes, thats why i was asking.
Not too many people even rock stars & filthy rich people are paying double the M.S.R.P sticker price on any car.
Was just curious, thanks for the input / updates.
ZIXXX PACKER
Old 11-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camfrk
Well, it may not be a '68 Jomor, but who really cares? I'm sitting here with a bottle of Screech courtesy of Gander!!!
..and here's the story of Screech:

The Origin of Screech

Legend has it that Demerara Rum, from the West Indies, was very popular in Newfoundland. It was brought in, bottled, and sold in an unlabeled bottle (everyone knew what it was).

During World War II, the Americans set up bases in Newfoundland. One night, an American serviceman was out drinking with some locals. Eager to try the traditional drink of the province, he took a shot of the unnamed rum.

When he was able to breathe again, the American let loose a loud noise that was later described as some sort of horrible "screech".

The name stuck.

(Nowadays, instead of the original West Indies rum, Jamaican rum is used, which is much less likely to make anyone actually screech.)

The “Screech In” Ceremony
Every Newfoundlander knows what a "Screech In" Ceremony is all about. It is the only way that those not lucky enough to be born a Newfoundlander can become as close as possible to being a Newfoundlander, without having to die and be reincarnated as a Newfoundlander.

Those who survive the ceremony will be forever known as HONORARY NEWFOUNDLANDERS.

Requirements for the ceremony:

1. The "Screech In" ceremony can only be preformed by a natural-born Newfoundlander.
2. A real fish (traditionally a cod, but, since these are hard to find, any whole fish will do).
3. A Sou'Wester.
4. A bottle of Screech.

The Ceremony:

The ceremony host (the natural-born Newfoundlander), will have the victim stand in front of a group of witnesses while wearing the Sou'Wester.

The host will then hold up the fish to the victim so that the victim can kiss the fish (on the lips). {The host and witnesses have final say on whether the kiss is sufficient to continue. In rare cases, two or more kisses have to be administered}.

Next, the host will gingerly pour a full shot of Screech. This is handed to the victim and he or she has to repeat the following, before drinking, and while holding the glass high:

"Long may your big jib draw!"

After this, present the victim with the “Screech In” Certificate as proof of their adventure. Welcome them into the Royal Order of Screechers.
Here's the certificate that you've been "Screeched"

http://www.offdarock.com/downloads/Screech.pdf
Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bieng a Guitarist and left handed as well I have read many books on Hendrix
He wrecked his first Corvette in Laurel Canyon (possibly Benedict canyon...dont remember for sure) in CA.
The next day he went out and bought another one.

Clapton isn't even in the same leauge with Jimi......

Last edited by Bob Onit; 11-13-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:29 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jomor
I know Alex Van Halen owned a black C4. This website lists some other celebrity owned Vettes:

http://www.corvetteforsale.com/CELEBRITY.htm
Old 11-12-2006, 12:38 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sam Kinison

REMEMBER ? SAM KINISON
HE owned several black c'4's fact was an 1985 that we had at our dealership a few years ago, with documentation it was his.
Here is another link regarding a black 1986 he owned...........

CLICK HERE >>>>>>http://www.kinison.com/articles.php?...lat-1990-01-11

ZIXXX PACKER

Last edited by 427SIXPACK; 11-12-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The Coolest Guitarist Ever Drove a ???

Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Bieng a Guitarist and left handed as well I have read many books on Hendrix
He wrecked his first Corvette in Laurel Canyon in CA.
The next day he went out and bought another one.

Clapton isn't even in the same leauge with Jimi......
Huh? are you serious? Peace,,,,,,Moosie
Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roy Orbison had a 67. I saw it at the NCM during the 50th celebration. As I recall it was a 437 white with red stinger and possibly red interior.

I've got pictures on cd somewhere.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
Huh? are you serious? Peace,,,,,,Moosie
Yes I am
Clapton sold out mant many years ago
All of his decent playing was done when he was with Cream

Unless you are a guitarist I doubt you would understand
Clapton writes songs to make money, Jimi wrote from the heart.

Quick Reply: The Coolest Guitarist Ever Drove a ???