Sponsored by:

Sandblasting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Sandblasting

I'm planning on sandblasting my floorpan, both top and bottom, with a sandblaster. I'll also be sandblasting my frame and various parts of my chassis in the future. My compressor is massive and I'm not worried about running out of air while sandblasting. The issue is whether or not this sandblasting unit will suit my needs...

10 GALLON SANDBLASTER
• 2-wheel design for easy portability
• Pressurized design gives 30% more sandblasting power than siphon
• Includes: deadman style sandblasting gun, 9 ft. hose, filling funnel,
shut-off valve, pressure gauge and 4 ceramic nozzles
• Working pressure: 85 to 125 PSI
• Air consumption: 6 to 25 CFM
• Use with 5 HP or larger air compressor recommended

Will this sandblaster be big enough for my needs? It's on sale for $130...regular $180. Please, I need input from you guys.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
bruced267
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine has one, and the only way we could get it to work was with two air compressors. Worked better than a siphon type. Just make sure you got enough air!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got this one from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34202

I don't like it. I agree it puts out some serious sand and works quickly, but it puts out a little too much sand for my taste. I went out and bought a syphon one and am much happier with it; it's a Craftsman. I've only used the HF one a couple of times and now it's just in my way.

My compressor was plenty for it though. I have a 60 gal single stage. I forget the HP at the moment but it was the one from Lowes.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

I have a siphon type sandblaster...but I haven't had the chance to use it yet because I don't have any sand or a blasting hood yet. Any more comments on the pressurized sandblaster I'm planning on picking up? I have a 60 gallon husky air compressor, 11.5 cfm at 90 psi.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sandblasting my frame with a $14.00 siphon feed blaster from Home Depot. If that can get off rust and paint then I'm sure your pressure blaster will work even better. BTW, invest some money in a good respirator if you are using sand. I do my blasting out in the driveway so most of the dust lands on the neighbor's cars.

Rick B.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

How fast does the siphon one work? Is it really slow? What type of sand do you recommend for the siphon one, because I bought a husky one from home depot a while back. What type of respiator do you use...something like this?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
mobjack68
Instructor

Hey Stinger....the compressor you spec'd, it will do what you need and more. You might want to seriously consider blasting media as well. I sandblasted wood signs for a number of years (as well as various car projects along the way) Sand/silicon carbide for the heaviest stuff (frame, frame components) something a little lighter for the floor pan. IF there are weak spots/heavy rust, the sand blaster will make cheese grate out of in a hurry. the kind of pressure you will get from that blaster will remove metal in a hurry as well as rust.
I used walnut hull media for my engine compartment, removed ALL of the old paint and goo, DID NOT bother at all, the f'glass and I didn't end up with sand in places that are tough to get it out of. The media loses speed rather quickly and did not damage the frame paint at all (got my project midway and they kind of got things a little out of order)
mobjack68
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
How fast does the siphon one work? Is it really slow? What type of sand do you recommend for the siphon one, because I bought a husky one from home depot a while back. What type of respiator do you use...something like this?

The siphon feed works OK if you run the sand through a screen first to get out the nozzle cloggers. I don't have any reference for speed but you won't get the whole frame done in a day. I'm doing the blasting out in the driveway on a big tarp so I stop after the bucket is empty, vacuum up the sand and re-screen it. It gets finer each time but still works OK. I bought a couple bags of Play Sand to experiment with and that's what i have been using.

Rick B.
The respirator I have is similar to the one in the pic. I wouldn't use it in an enclosed space with sand since they really aren't rated for silica dust. In my dirveway the dust blows away so the silica danger is less but I still put myself upwind of the spray.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sandblasting floor pan not a real good idea, its thin to start with and if any rust, very thin. Use a brush wheel to knock off the chunks and vacuume it off a bit, then some phosphoric prep/Etch. It will come out nice and clean and no more material removed than necessary. Paint bare metal with POR15, then a layer or 2 of fiberglass, top and bottom.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 AM
74and76cpl
Advanced

harbor fright is the way to go i have the 40 pounder and it does a great job
Old 03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
ecpirate
Intermediate

Default sandblasting

74 and 76, I also have the HF sand blaster. It works great with walnut shells, but with play sand, it will come out for a while but then i just get air. How does yours do with sand. Thanks,

steve
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Default Sandblast Booth

I'm looking to make a collapsible sandblasting booth out of some tarps/clear plastic - the frame will be made out of small 1X1 wood. Has anyone here made something like this before? If so, post pics. The floor is gonna have clear plastic on it as well so I can sweep up all the sand and reuse it.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 PM
L79_Acadian
Heel & Toe

Check your messages.
Roger
Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

bump
Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Default Sandblasting Media

I'm going to be powder coating my frame, so it needs to be sandblasted. What type of media should I use if it is going to be powder coated?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 PM
74and76cpl
Advanced

dont use play sand it has to much dirt in it. use cillica sand it is clean and kiln dryed it really works well and very cheap at home depot it does eat the tips up in the sprayer tho but thay are cheap
Old 03-17-2007, 09:27 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by stinger12
I'm going to be powder coating my frame, so it needs to be sandblasted. What type of media should I use if it is going to be powder coated?
I used Black Magic from Menards
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM
powdercoater
Heel & Toe

Stinger, I have that same unit in my shop and use it with a Husky 6o gal all the time. It should work fine with your compressor. It will still be pretty time consuming sandblasting a car frame with it though.
For media, I would use aluminum oxide or black magic. Stay away from sand in general for health reasons...bad stuff!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Sandblasting

Quick Reply: Sandblasting