Front Clip Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Front Clip Conversion

edit

Last edited by stinger12; 01-17-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the gain, only a lot of unnecessary work. Just work out the seams. It will be good as new.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

True, but I'll be removing all of the bonding strips, and essentially, completely rebuilding the front end of the vette. It's already been separated from the rear end...so working on it wont be hard. I'll be needing to replace all of the bonding strips and or the amount of epoxy resin and fiberglass matte I have, I don't have to worry about materials. Time is not an issue, for I don't plan on finishing this car for several years...I'm in no hurry. The rest of my car, with the exception of the rear end is in awesome condition. I'm cheap, so I'm not going to buy a new front end...I'd rather spend $700 on my engine. Anyone else have comments?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Remount the front clip temporarily using sheetmetal screws.
Remove all the bondo, unhardened resin etc from the outside by grinding or whatever.
Taper all the seams with a grinder using 20, 30 or 40 grit disks.
Use your epoxy and mat to cover and build out your seams staring with narrow strips at the center and going wider each layer until the seams you ground are finish level. Idealy this could be your body filler. Harder to use than a filler mix but better.
Unmount front clip, flip over and repair any bonding strips. If they are not loose or previous owner didn't ruin them, don't fool with them. You can make your own bonding strips if needed.
Even though the shrinkage on epoxy is not near the rate of poly, the longer you leave the cure the better the result.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 AM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

look at avatar
Old 04-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Artsvette73
I don't see the gain, only a lot of unnecessary work...

Post pix so we can get a look at what the PO left you. I'm wondering whether you might be confusing factory bonding compound with bondo.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

73C34me, did you do what I am thinking of doing? Did you convert your original front end into a one piece? How did you go about it? please post pics.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:24 PM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yes, glassed a L/88 hood scoop in made the front clip one piece & installed 71-72 fenders to use the vent grill Will look for pics. computer crashed, lost many...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 PM
SHOWME
Pro

Originally Posted by noonie
Remount the front clip temporarily using sheetmetal screws.
Remove all the bondo, unhardened resin etc from the outside by grinding or whatever.
Taper all the seams with a grinder using 20, 30 or 40 grit disks.
Use your epoxy and mat to cover and build out your seams staring with narrow strips at the center and going wider each layer until the seams you ground are finish level. Idealy this could be your body filler. Harder to use than a filler mix but better.
Unmount front clip, flip over and repair any bonding strips. If they are not loose or previous owner didn't ruin them, don't fool with them. You can make your own bonding strips if needed.
Even though the shrinkage on epoxy is not near the rate of poly, the longer you leave the cure the better the result.
I must agree that you need to get your front in place as close as possible. When you start bonding it together you will lock it in or out of position.It is common for glass to warp also as it cures if it is unsupported.I have built a few one piece fronts from stock and other methods it is not a hard process.Just take your time and take lots of pics.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by stinger12

Stinger: flip this fender around so we can get a look at the backside.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Sorry guys don't have a pic of it from the back side...and my camera broke a few weeks ago, need to get it fixed. So is my front clip warping as we speak ...or does fiberglass only warp when it starts curing? I haven't done any repairs yet so I don't think it is warping.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM
SHOWME
Pro

Stress can warp fiberglass if it is left unsupported for a length of time but it takes a little time. Heat can make it worse.(If it is left out in the sun ect,.)If you are gonna be working on it soon it's not that big of a deal.A fender by itself probably wont have much stress on it, but a front clip unsupported could move alot.You will not know till you try to put it back in place.(It's probably fine.)You can tweak it back before you glass anyways.Just something to watch for,could save you from some extra work.

Here's my latest one.
I was constantly checking the fit on this one.It never moved ,but I did'nt take any chances.

Last edited by SHOWME; 04-25-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Clip Conversion

Quick Reply: Front Clip Conversion