Glass T-Top Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
swtato
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Glass T-Top Question

I have an m1131 top that was cracked. Picked up a m1131 matching set from a guy that would "throw them in with the car" that he was selling. I bought them/stole them off him for $400. It has new rubber all the way around.

My question is how much pressure should I have to use to latch the top? My old ones were very easy, but the rubber was somewhat compresed. I know I can adjust the shims and the appear to be about the same as my existing tops. I really have to use alot of pressure to snap the latch shut. I don't want to break this set! Please give me some advice.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

IMO, I would back the adjusters off and compress over time. How much force is hard to answer. The new weatherstriping will compress. I'd be afraid of clamping them too fast/much until they settle in. Park it in the sun, tighten a little at a time. Hopefully someone else will have some tips for you.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

After I replaced the weatherstripping on my tops, it was noticeably harder to latch them but it did ease off over time.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by swtato
...I really have to use alot of pressure to snap the latch shut...
Back them off a little. They should be snug to close, but should not need too very much effort. As the new weatherstripping compresses, the tops should need to be snugged up a little, but again, not a whole heckuva lot.

If memory serves, there may be instructions in the AIM for maximum pressure on the latch paddles.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 AM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Alignment question

How do you get the tops aligned so that the gap in between the 2 tops is even? I got the pressure issue resolved but the gap is wider at the front and narrower at the rear?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I put in new ws on my tops I bought some additional shims as I couldnt even close the tops. Over time I gradually removed shims and tightened things down till that rubber fully compressed,
ESU
Old 04-12-2007, 12:50 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

my problem now is the gap down the center is uneven it is level but too wide in the front and to narrow by the rear glass? Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:57 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swtato
my problem now is the gap down the center is uneven it is level but too wide in the front and to narrow by the rear glass? Any suggestions?
Loosen up everything u can on the tops themselves. Position the tops how you want them and then start tightening.
ESU
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
swtato
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ESU
Loosen up everything u can on the tops themselves. Position the tops how you want them and then start tightening.
ESU
So the shims and the part that sldes in the 2 slots will adjust the gap? Am I able to loosen the pin be latch handle and adjust that? I could not tell by the pics in the service manual?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Glass tops sit higher than the halo panel in the rear. Do not try to pull them down even with the panel. Center gap is good at 1/2", but might be difficult to obtain. AIM shows factory preferences, but not a whole lot about how to set the tops.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass T-Top Question

Quick Reply: Glass T-Top Question