Sponsored by:

Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Torque Converter

I have an 81 with an automatic tranny. I have the motor out and am going to replace it with a non computer motor. My 81 has a lock up torque converter which is controlled by the computer. Since my new moror will not have a computer I need to buy a set up to make the torque converter work. I was wondering if I can just replace the converter with a non lock up one? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was just the 82 which had the torque converter lock
Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You can do that but I wouldn't. A lockup converter will give a little better gas milage and less heat in the tranny, the kits are available from Bowtieoverdrives pretty cheap
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A non lockup converter will not work with a trans that requires a lockup converter. Don't ask me how I know this!! The input shafts are completely different.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
I have an 81 with an automatic tranny. I have the motor out and am going to replace it with a non computer motor. My 81 has a lock up torque converter which is controlled by the computer. Since my new moror will not have a computer I need to buy a set up to make the torque converter work. I was wondering if I can just replace the converter with a non lock up one? Thanks for any help.
My '80 L-82 automatic has a lock-up converter in it and no computer,,,couldnt you just use a year earlier converter ? I think you need to find out positively on what to use from someone in the transmission business before it gets expensive for you . Peace,,,Moosie

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Converter

Quick Reply: Torque Converter