Sponsored by:

76 vette seats***help***

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 PM
jtrain23
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 vette seats***help***

i need to know what is the fastner that holds the seat track brackets on the track. its looks like a rivet with a flat head but i dont think its a rivet. im trying to put new brackets on the rear and i really dont know if i have the right brackets they dont look like the ones on there now but the guy i bought the car from rigged up everything. if yall could help that would be great. alson anyone with a 76 that could take some pics of their seat tracks and brackets i would appreciate it. thanks again any help would be awwesome
Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in California right now and can't post any pics, but I went through this problem with my 76 a few years ago. I believe that the bottom brackets are held to the seat tracks both by the rivet and welding. I had to use a cut-off wheel to remove most of the old brackets, then finish off what was left over with an angle grinder. The bad news is that I couldn't find any replacement rear "feet" for the seat tracks of my 76. I bought one from a mail order place that was supposed to be for 75 and 76, but it was from a 74 or earlier and wouldn't fit. I never could find any source for the 76 style (which seems to be an oddball). I ended up taking measurements from the one good one I had left, then cutting some 3/4" square steel tubing with the right taper and welding this to some 1/16" sheet metal cut and bent to match the bottom of the "foot". These were built, then welded onto my seat tracks. If you're able to weld and have access to a bending brake and band saw, it's not too bad a job.

Quick Reply: 76 vette seats***help***