C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS FLASH! Dumbest human being on planet found working at Strauss Auto Parts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,734 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

The guy (at Autozone) HAD to know "What -Year -Make-Model-Engine-"

I responded "65-Corvette-Stingray-327."

"No way-Fuel Injection-that can't be right- They didn't have Fuel Injection back then..."

I then said-your not going to have it-"I'm running Brodix Track 1 Heads- here's the plugs I need."

He responded w/ "I can find it w/ the part number"...

I bought some oil (Shell Rotella).

He says "you got a diesel?"

I said "No-it's for my Corvette."

The look on his face was priceless....
Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,045 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Just say, " Boy I need a lot of stuff today, I hope you can help me. Fisrt I need a set of pushrods for my '98 Honda Civic, A set of leaf spring bushings for my 93 Cavalier, a lower radiator hose for my '76 Porsche 911, a power steering pump for my '72 VW Karman Ghia, and a timing chain for my '72 Chevy Nova with a 250 cu in six".
You think that is funny? -HA! When I was a counter man we used to regularly call the competitors in town to check prices. It was part of our job. It was always fun to throw a wild goose chase in there just to see if the other guys would catch it.

"I need a radiator cap for a 66 Karmann Ghia"... They ALWAYS went looking for it. They usualy came back with something like "It must be a dealer only item, we don't stock it"

-Mark.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 AM
AlCherry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I go to the autoparts store for stuff for my Harley. That throws them off every time:
"Uh, like dude, we don't carry Harley stuff"
Yes you do.
"It's not listed in our book"
Heres the number: RN12YC, 2 of them.
"That's for a Chevy"
I also need a set of points for a 6 cylinder chevy for my Shovel

and on and on..........
Old 07-08-2007, 08:51 AM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
He then told me that he didn't show either engine for either year, but he DID show a 5.7 liter for the 72 TWO DOOR CORVETTE! I told him that that was close enough and I could make em work!

NO, that won't work. I have a 4 door corvette!..made by toyota...
Old 07-08-2007, 08:57 AM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by builder

I look forr parts girls if they are available unless I know someone already who has car knowledge.

For those of you west of Fort Worth, TX, there is a parts store called A/OK Auto Supply in Springtown, TX. The guy is one of the real ones. I believe the owners name is Gary. Can't go wrong there.
plus they're cuter!!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:06 AM
tjhuyser
Pro

Just say, " Boy I need a lot of stuff today, I hope you can help me. Fisrt I need a set of pushrods for my '98 Honda Civic, A set of leaf spring bushings for my 93 Cavalier, a lower radiator hose for my '76 Porsche 911, a power steering pump for my '72 VW Karman Ghia, and a timing chain for my '72 Chevy Nova with a 250 cu in six".
sad thing is you would probably wind up with a part for each of those...don't know what part it would be, but there would be a part!!

I'm going down to Pep Boys..i need to get a set of inner muffler bearings and and a rebuild kit for the window regulator on my motorcycle door...that should keep em busy for a while..
Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Cooper
I know just what you mean. But, this is what we get with the big auto parts stores like, Auto Zone, Advance and all the rest. Years ago there was an auto parts store in New Paltz, called Mike's Auto Parts. It was owned by Mike and his dad. When you went in there they knew what you needed and took the time to help you out. Now, with the large super stores they only know what the computer tells them!
I think that if you don't know what you are selling then you should'nt be selling it!
When I lived in Nashville area there was a CarQuest and John who owned the store would always take time to help, put parts on the counter so my 5 y/o could walk in and pick up for me, let me look at the catalogs, order in parts to look at, etc. Where I am now we have O'Rielleys which has good parts, but nobody that really knows anything, it's like pulling teeth to see a catalog, and I don't care it you come in to buy a quart of oil it looks like the cashier is typing "War and Peace" on the computer before I can check out.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM
MakoVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now there is another side to this story.
Try working in a parts store and customers come in and dont even know what their driving. They'll come in for say, a starter because their car wont start. They might know what kind of car, like a chevy, but what Model, Year, Disc brakes, power steering, A/C, ABS, . Some of this knowledge is required. Maybe for a starter alot of thats not neccessary, but still it sure makes things easier when people know what the hell their driving.
Funny thing is, it might not be the starter they need.

If anyone's interested we do have an online Parts Store http://www.carpart.com/

Im not trying to advertise but there are some quality stores out there with knowledgable Countermen/ women
http://www.smothers.com/thegarage/index.html
Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting, but what does this actually mean?....

otherwords, whats the point?......
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Interesting, but what does this actually mean?....

otherwords, whats the point?......
Honda Civics have direct-cam engines - no pushrods.

Cavaliers of that generation are coil-sprung all around - no leafs.

Porsche 911s are air-cooled.

I assume Karmann Ghias weren't available with power steering.

GM straight-six engines didn't use timing chains - there was just a crankshaft gear and a camshaft gear which interfaced with each other.

He's talking about screwing with the counter people who don't know their cars...they'd be chasing their tails looking for non-existent parts.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Default Two Sides To This Situation!

90% of the complaints here are with chain discount stores. Ever wonder where they came from an how they became what they are today? 'YOU' gave them that power by going there and purchasing your parts. Telephone investigation of prices with the opening statement of "How much" or "Whats the warranty" with out any regard to quality or even in stock has forced the small independent that served everyone correctly, honestly, and politely with the correct parts and even offered installation of what they sold for years are now out of business. Since most of you are on the other side of the counter you never get to understand the stores problems with most customers. And I have recognized some of those right here on this and other forums. Sometimes it`s like playing 20 questions to get adequate information out of many customers.. Some times I just finally ask, "What color is the sucker".all in the effort to supply the correct parts. Our philosophy is if you cant do it correct the first time, how the hell will you find time to do it the second time. I have even had customers {for this one I use customer loosely} buy a part somewheres else want me to exchange it 'no charge' for the right part a discount store supplied incorrectly but was further away or out of stock...

Another very important point is that most independents can give you exact information on how to install every part they sell. Not so with those chains. So quite griping as you helped make the problems asked on these forums that we graciously solved for many years before the Internet was even thought of and or PC correctly invented by "Albert Gore"..
Old 07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Honda Civics have direct-cam engines - no pushrods.

Cavaliers of that generation are coil-sprung all around - no leafs.

Porsche 911s are air-cooled.

I assume Karmann Ghias weren't available with power steering.

GM straight-six engines didn't use timing chains - there was just a crankshaft gear and a camshaft gear which interfaced with each other.

He's talking about screwing with the counter people who don't know their cars...they'd be chasing their tails looking for non-existent parts.
Thats what I figured...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
BillPk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironcross
90% of the complaints here are with chain discount stores. Ever wonder where they came from an how they became what they are today? 'YOU' gave them that power by going there and purchasing your parts. Telephone investigation of prices with the opening statement of "How much" or "Whats the warranty" with out any regard to quality or even in stock has forced the small independent that served everyone correctly, honestly, and politely with the correct parts and even offered installation of what they sold for years are now out of business. Since most of you are on the other side of the counter you never get to understand the stores problems with most customers. And I have recognized some of those right here on this and other forums. Sometimes it`s like playing 20 questions to get adequate information out of many customers.. Some times I just finally ask, "What color is the sucker".all in the effort to supply the correct parts. Our philosophy is if you cant do it correct the first time, how the hell will you find time to do it the second time. I have even had customers {for this one I use customer loosely} buy a part somewheres else want me to exchange it 'no charge' for the right part a discount store supplied incorrectly but was further away or out of stock...

Another very important point is that most independents can give you exact information on how to install every part they sell. Not so with those chains. So quite griping as you helped make the problems asked on these forums that we graciously solved for many years before the Internet was even thought of and or PC correctly invented by "Albert Gore"..
I agree 100% with this statement.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

I can beat all these stories!!

Went to Autozone because I needed some new chrome valve stems for new wheels I bought. The idiot kept punching all these keys on his terminal, like they always do. And finally he asks me what model car are they for!!!!

I never said this to anyone before, but I said, "Are you kidding me? Are you high or something?"

I then asked for the Manager, who quickly told me aisle 2.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I remeber the days of the independent part stores where there was always an old guy who knew exactly what you wanted and rarely had to use that super long book with all the parts. But there is a bright side to this brainless computer guided system designed for the minimum wage moron. Nowadays you can go to a web sight like autozone.com and search parts for any car. You can use it like an interchange manual by looking up different vehicles and checking parts numbers against each other. It even tells you if the part number is in stock at your local autozone. Then you can go down and buy just using the part number. You can even compare prices on line. If you're like me and your cars are a mish mosh of different years and applications, you can figure out what's what in the privacy of your home. Beats telling some gum chewing counter flake who's text messaging a friend while you're trying to explain that you need a universal joint for a '55 chevy, but the rear end is a 12 bolt out of a '70 chevelle, and a driveshaft out of a 90's camaro.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 AM
BillPk
Instructor

The down side to that is all your buying is Chinese garbage. I don't purchase anything but oil there now. It's become the Harbor Freight of autoparts.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BillPk
The down side to that is all your buying is Chinese garbage. I don't purchase anything but oil there now. It's become the Harbor Freight of autoparts.
The quality of that Chinese stuff has been increasing significantly...the Indians are the ones making the utter crap these days.

Get notified of new replies

To NEWS FLASH! Dumbest human being on planet found working at Strauss Auto Parts.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The quality of that Chinese stuff has been increasing significantly...the Indians are the ones making the utter crap these days.
This maybe somewhat true but more recalled merchandise that comes into this country is from China. Don't forget most recently it has been announced that Truck Tires from China are killing people coming apart on the road. I think it was said that 500,000 tires need to be recalled. The big problem now is the US importer of these tires claims they don't have the money to pay for the tires recalled. Product from China used in Pet Food is a poison killing plenty of pets. The same product is used at fish farms as feed and plenty of that fish is shipped to this country. Toys for tots are loaded with lead paint. Lead is being found in alot of Chinese products. Its a mess. You just can't trust Communist China. Its a shame while this country does nothing about it China is stealing our technology and shipping product here as fast as they can. On top of that our trade deficit is through the roof and while this is all taking place China keeps building their Military. Something is definitely wrong with the picture here wouldn't you say? Sorry for the rant but I just don't like what I see going on around us.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 AM
BillPk
Instructor

Originally Posted by ffas23
This maybe somewhat true but more recalled merchandise that comes into this country is from China. Don't forget most recently it has been announced that Truck Tires from China are killing people coming apart on the road. I think it was said that 500,000 tires need to be recalled. The big problem now is the US importer of these tires claims they don't have the money to pay for the tires recalled. Product from China used in Pet Food is a poison killing plenty of pets. The same product is used at fish farms as feed and plenty of that fish is shipped to this country. Toys for tots are loaded with lead paint. Lead is being found in alot of Chinese products. Its a mess. You just can't trust Communist China. Its a shame while this country does nothing about it China is stealing our technology and shipping product here as fast as they can. On top of that our trade deficit is through the roof and while this is all taking place China keeps building their Military. Something is definitely wrong with the picture here wouldn't you say? Sorry for the rant but I just don't like what I see going on around us.
Very well stated.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 AM
BillPk
Instructor

This may be one of the sadest statements I have ever read.

Quick Reply: NEWS FLASH! Dumbest human being on planet found working at Strauss Auto Parts.