Sponsored by:

Texas smog laws?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
johnwhoss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas smog laws?

I may be transferred to south of Houston. Will my '77 need to be smog tested? Is there a "visual" test? My '77 currently has no smog equipment and has true dual exhaust with no cat.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Register it as an Antique Vehicle. No inspections required, period. 5 year plate is about $80 (I forget). There are restrictions on the amount you drive, but no one checks. If anyone ever asks, just tell them you are off to a club function. You can wear the Antique plate or a 1977 Texas plate & it's rear only. I'm really sorry to hear you are going to Houston.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:19 PM
johnwhoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by ratflinger
Register it as an Antique Vehicle. No inspections required, period. 5 year plate is about $80 (I forget). There are restrictions on the amount you drive, but no one checks. If anyone ever asks, just tell them you are off to a club function. You can wear the Antique plate or a 1977 Texas plate & it's rear only. I'm really sorry to hear you are going to Houston.
Thanks! So I can just walk up to DMV and tell them it's an antique (with a straight face) and they'll exempt it? Just like that?

Are the restrictions similar to the ones for Hagerty insurance (which I have)? Hagerty has never asked for proof or odometer readings.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha..Lived there for 11 years....hated it. Tried San Antonio....hated it.
Now 20 years in Austin....
Old 08-04-2007, 08:23 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Just like that. They won't even blink an eye. 25 years old is the minimum.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
johnwhoss
Advanced

BTW...what's wrong with Houston? I'll be working at Johnson Space Center by Seabrook. I haven't been there before but Lockheed is transferring me.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by big_G
Ha..Lived there for 11 years....hated it. Tried San Antonio....hated it.
Now 20 years in Austin....
You must be a liberal Austin is a nice place, but darn expensive any more.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by johnwhoss
BTW...what's wrong with Houston? I'll be working at Johnson Space Center by Seabrook. I haven't been there before but Lockheed is transferring me.
Swamp
Old 08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

You must be a liberal Austin is a nice place, but darn expensive any more.
Not a chance. Here to keep the weirdos honest. Yes, taxes are totally out of control.....
Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 PM
johnwhoss
Advanced

Swamp
I spent 10 years in Cocoa Beach, FL so I expect that Houston is similar (hot, swampy, humid, hurricanes, insects)?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:38 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

I spent 10 years in Cocoa Beach, FL so I expect that Houston is similar (hot, swampy, humid, hurricanes, insects)?
All that and you get to enjoy all the refinery/chemical stench from Pasadena and Deer Park.....
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Then you'll be right at home, that describes Houston perfectly. Oh, & the traffic sucks.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

I love it when no nothings from Austin, San Antonio (where the traffic also sucks)( and as for stench, that guy is a real loser!! The air in Seabrook smells great. Pasadena is nowheres near. What you do smell is the the Gulf which to me smells great. Nothing like good sea air!!) or California try to tell you how Houston is!! Been here 15 years from Philly, Pa. Love it!! NASA is great as well as the surrounding area. Talk about fine clubs, Try the Seabrook Beach Club right on the water, as well as many others. And if you are into clubs, Vette Shows and Vette Cruises, this is definately the place for you!!
The weather here lately has been pretty rainy, and it is hot in the summer, but from October to July, the temps are heaven!!

Welcome to Houston. You may also want to check out the Sothwest Forum for happenings here in Houston, which are far more than Austin or San Antonio!!!

Oh and as far as smog, I also have the Antique plates. Had them for the past 6 years. No inspections whatsoever, no stickers on the windshield, and registration is good for 5 years. Although there says that their are driving restrictions, I have never been bothered by any law dogs, and they have been in front of me, behind me and beside me!!! you can basically do anything you want to your 77, such as taking off the smog pump, working the engine as much as you want and running sidepipes like I do!!

Last edited by VettePower; 08-04-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
AlCherry
Racer

OK Guys, give our left coast friend a break.
From where you are coming from, You are going to wonder why you didn't move before. And guess what? You can have Hot Rods, guns, BBQ pits, lawn mowers that run on gasoline, and no-one will give you a second look when you buy a bid azz pick-up truck.
The only thing you need to do is get a Jeff Foxworthy book on redneck lingo and lose the left coast accent. We do have an occational hurricane, but God only provides it for parties.
I was born and raised in the area (Pasadena). The area is rich in history. Learn it, live it. Good Luck.
Al
Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Oh yeah!! And since you work for Nasa. If you get a couple of those astronaut diapers, you can make it here from Florida in no time!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:37 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by VettePower
I love it when no nothings from Austin, San Antonio (where the traffic also sucks)( and as for stench, that guy is a real loser!! The air in Seabrook smells great. Pasadena is nowheres near. What you do smell is the the Gulf which to me smells great. Nothing like good sea air!!) or California try to tell you how Houston is!! Been here 15 years from Philly, Pa. Love it!! NASA is great as well as the surrounding area. Talk about fine clubs, Try the Seabrook Beach Club right on the water, as well as many others. And if you are into clubs, Vette Shows and Vette Cruises, this is definately the place for you!!
The weather here lately has been pretty rainy, and it is hot in the summer, but from October to July, the temps are heaven!!

Welcome to Houston. You may also want to check out the Sothwest Forum for happenings here in Houston, which are far more than Austin or San Antonio!!!

Oh and as far as smog, I also have the Antique plates. Had them for the past 6 years. No inspections whatsoever, no stickers on the windshield, and registration is good for 5 years. Although there says that their are driving restrictions, I have never been bothered by any law dogs, and they have been in front of me, behind me and beside me!!! you can basically do anything you want to your 77, such as taking off the smog pump, working the engine as much as you want and running sidepipes like I do!!
Now Now, Houston only sucks in a friendly manner. It's much better than Jersey.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Now Now, Houston only sucks in a friendly manner. It's much better than Jersey.
I said I was from Philly, genius. Jersey does suck!!! And instead of putting Houston down, you should be welcoming anyone to the great State of Texas.

Like the saying goes: I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here just as fast as I could!!

Get notified of new replies

To Texas smog laws?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by VettePower
I said I was from Philly, genius. Jersey does suck!!! And instead of putting Houston down, you should be welcoming anyone to the great State of Texas.

Like the saying goes: I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here just as fast as I could!!

Whatever
Old 08-04-2007, 11:10 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Loser?, I think not. Lived in Houston for 11 years, every day you see the brown haze hovering over the city. Every year I go the the Corvette/Chevy expo at the George Brown convention center, the traffic and pollution get worse every year. I have no love lost for Houston. BTW, I escaped from N.Y. many years ago...glad I left there too. Just my humble opinion.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by big_G
Loser?, I think not. Lived in Houston for 11 years, every day you see the brown haze hovering over the city. Every year I go the the Corvette/Chevy expo at the George Brown convention center, the traffic and pollution get worse every year. I have no love lost for Houston. BTW, I escaped from N.Y. many years ago...glad I left there too. Just my humble opinion.
Get real!! Every Day, yeah right!! Listen, don't come to the Corvette/Chevy Expo anymore. Wait til it comes to Austin!! You sound like a New Yorker!!

Quick Reply: Texas smog laws?