C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 AM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I spent 2 days reading this incredible thread. I am in awe at your skill. All I can say is wow!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more flare and you should be able to lay some primer down and let the block-fest begin!

(assuming you're leaving the front end alone.)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by earthquake68
Jeremy doesn't leave anything alone /:\
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by earthquake68
One more flare and you should be able to lay some primer down and let the block-fest begin!

I have a lot of work left on the front end still, but your right...everything from the doors back is finally getting close to primer.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read the thread from start to finish over the last 3 days. Amazing project and it has been awesome to get the accelerated version of this build. Just got my first project vette after not getting involved in any serious resto work for over 20 years. I learned alot from reading the 100+ pages of this thread. Been taking notes,should have taken more I may have to skim it again.My project came with fenders and nose off and a set of flares to be mounted. Been trying to wrap my head around how to get them mounted and sit right,now after reading this thread I am really starting to see just how to get it done. Thank you stinger12 and thanks to Mike for taking the time to mentor you. Im sure Im not the only one that has been greatly helped by what you have laid down on these pages.This kind of thead is exactly why I have been here on this forum figuring out where to start on the 74 project I bought from someone that had been pouring blood, money and energy into the car for the last 3 years but life got in the way of finishing it.
It takes a special kind of lunatic to look at the following pic and see what an awesome car it could be. I was hoping I would find them on this forum. So happy I was not dissapointed. good luck and I know youll finish.
My project, Im going to start my build thread soon.
Name:  IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  92.0 KB
Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Left quarter is finished.

Name:  DSC09075.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  163.8 KB

Name:  DSC09074.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  DSC09076.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  DSC09091.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  DSC09081.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  DSC09109.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  131.6 KB

Now I have to jump back to the right quarter and fine tune that flare until it is identical to the left flare...its close, but still needs a bit more sanding here, a little more glass there...you get the idea.

Last edited by stinger12; 01-22-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Very nice work. You've come a long way!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

Those flares look amazing!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Forum member Denpo sent me a dash vent grille and a high beam foot pedal...thanks once again for the help, I truly appreciate it!

Here is a link to his build:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...long-post.html
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Mexican Bob
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Kid...you're insane...a good, incredibly off-the-wall insane, but still good. Your work is amazing. I can only barely imagine what it is like for your parents to park outside for the past few years in the winters. I live in a warm place where shorts during the winter are a reality...opening the windows in order to not bake is an imperative...I take my sailboat out and whine about it when the water temperature is below 70*F.

You have completely and totally removed from me any future desire to work on a car ever again I get tired just reading the posts!

...seriously, you've tackled more than about a million "kids" your age would ever consider. I just wish there were more like you.

I would argue with your engine component choices. Namely, I'd recommend a roller camshaft...the oil available today lacks the necessary zinc that roamed the earth back when flat tappet cams were actually in engines. Having built many engines with flat tappet camshafts, I don't recommend it for what you've done. It is like putting a broken piece of clear plastic an inch thick as your rear window because it was cheaper and easier. With a good break-in procedure, you'll be able to do it, but why not consider a roller camshaft and love the extra performance you get from it? You initially seemed very interested in "numbers matching," but seem to have migrated away from that bit-by-bit as your project becomes your own. Once you add fat flares, I don't think that "numbers matching" really means anything to anybody...particularly in light of "I'll never sell it." I'm not suggesting that you ever sell it, but enjoy the peace and quiet of the HR versus the flat tappet cam while getting better performance. Obviously a big price tag jump is involved, and it isn't just the cam and lifters, but the valve springs, too.

I would also encourage you to put your great talents to work on a unique and interesting cold-air solution for your engine. Imagine how you can feed it an unlimited supply of air that isn't superheated by the radiator/fan and under-hood temps.

You mentioned wrapping your exhaust. I'd recommend Jet-Hot coating them or some other similar feature. Wrapping them will relatively quickly dissolve them...and the look, even if meticulously done, still looks bubba enough to remind me of bad papier-mâché.

I've written a number of books. There is almost no money in it--if you're writing non-fiction of this genre. I'm not suggesting that you don't write a book, rather, I suggest that you understand what you're likely to get as a result from it.

I know that you've given thanks for your parents throughout the project, but I'd suggest that you take a moment to give the woman of the house a special thanks. They tend to be a bit particular about car parts on the carpet and such things, so even if supportive, there may be some "below surface tension" that could be "smoothed down" with some personal attention (like 2000 grit on a diff pin).

I thought that it was funny when someone asked about the gas vs electric oven...like the glowing heating element wasn't enough of a hint. Rather than being a DYK like me, you seem to be a very good-spirited type and just go with the flow.

I would feel "better" if I saw more indication that you're adequately giving concern for safety, particularly with the various chemicals involved. You're too young to be the product of ignoring the MSDSes.

I hope you won't mind, but I showed my son a fraction of your work. It was a bit of the diff build-up. I told him that your car was going to be perfect...but that ours would probably be on the road sooner...half inch gap between the fender and door and all! Please don't take exception to it, ours will be a trailer park beater by comparison!

My point in saying that last bit was that I really appreciate your attention to detail and your endless pursuit of perfection. It isn't lost in the Americas, but it is being sold to China as fast as possible. Let's hope that younguns like yourself aren't left with a debt as far as their eyes can see and no hope for a future that gives them a reasonable reward for their hard works. Of course, if GM built a 'vette the way that you do, it would cost $8-million bucks...each. Which introduces an interesting history lesson when Henry Ford II offered to buy Ferrari in the early 60's and Enzo shot him down as a voracious hack in terms of "automotive excellence" and the pursuit thereof.

If you ever have a chance, learn the craft of hand shaping aluminum. You'd be good at it and there are an incredibly few who can do it today...

Wear hearing protection. My grandfather was a lonely man in his retirement because he worked on and around equipment his entire life and was functionally deaf most of my lifetime. There is significant life after 60, he died at 96...so take care of yourself now before it is too late.

The photo of you sitting in the car makes you look about 13 to me. I'm completely and stupidly amazed that you've done so much and that you're so exacting. There is an incredible power in learning from others that you've seemed to master. I didn't like the Bud Light Lime on your car...it was out of place in your project. Don't get me wrong, a cold one for those who partake is nothing bad, just it didn't seem right for your project, your parents house and your effort.

Keep up the good work. Get yourself a PayPal account and a web site and take donations for that roller cam

MxB
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Kid...you're insane...

I agree...its a real problem sometimes!

...seriously, you've tackled more than about a million "kids" your age would ever consider. I just wish there were more like you.

I wouldn't have been able to do this project if it wasnt for my great parents, and I can't thank them enough for their support. And my great friend Mike Dyer, who took me under his wing during this build. If it wasn't for him, I would not have a career restoring cars right now. Seriously Mike, none of this would have happened without your help.

I would argue with your engine component choices.

Mike probably went through 15 different part combinations for the engine...he's a freak, always striving for perfection. That's where I got this "illness" from. He always pushes me to make things perfect, no matter how much work it takes.

We ordered the rest of the engine components last night...he's in control of the engine...I just don't have the time to learn how to build one right now. You saw my differential rebuild - that took me two months of studying, asking questions, questioning myself, triple checking my work...can you imagine how mental I'll go trying to build it myself

You mentioned wrapping your exhaust. I'd recommend Jet-Hot coating them or some other similar feature. Wrapping them will relatively quickly dissolve them...and the look, even if meticulously done, still looks bubba enough to remind me of bad papier-mâché.

You'll see, I have a vision in my head...its going to look killer. We're working on a 65 shelby daytona car at our shop right now, and its headers are wrapped. It looks over the top.

I've written a number of books. There is almost no money in it--if you're writing non-fiction of this genre. I'm not suggesting that you don't write a book, rather, I suggest that you understand what you're likely to get as a result from it.

If Mike and I do end up writing this, it would be more for our personal satisfaction than to make money.

I know that you've given thanks for your parents throughout the project, but I'd suggest that you take a moment to give the woman of the house a special thanks. They tend to be a bit particular about car parts on the carpet and such things, so even if supportive, there may be some "below surface tension" that could be "smoothed down" with some personal attention (like 2000 grit on a diff pin).

My mom was the one that originally convinced my dad to let me undertake this project. I have the greatest parents.

I would feel "better" if I saw more indication that you're adequately giving concern for safety, particularly with the various chemicals involved. You're too young to be the product of ignoring the MSDSes.

I agree. My dad drives me insane when it comes to the chemicals and materials, but I do understand he is doing it because he cares about me. I have started to take more precautions when using this stuff now.

My point in saying that last bit was that I really appreciate your attention to detail and your endless pursuit of perfection.

This is all Mike's fault. Like I've said before, his personality has really "rubbed" off on me.

Keep up the good work.

I'll try!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
rebelee08
Instructor

WOW, that is just amazing and I am proud for you! What an accomplishment, it looks fantastic!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Carlos840
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, every time i look at this thread things keep getting better!

Your car is so wide from behind! It really looks nasty in a good way!

Cant wait to see it finished, push on...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM
DaveH_RRTX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlos840
Man, every time i look at this thread things keep getting better!

Your car is so wide from behind! It really looks nasty in a good way!

Cant wait to see it finished, push on...
I love the huge flares on your ride.

Does this view make my *** look big?

Dave
Round Rock, TX
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
behardt91
Instructor

Your car is looking sweet stinger12! I think I need some l88 flares now!.... and a t56.... and some new wheels.... and the list goes on and on and on...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:07 PM
75vetteman
Instructor

just stoppin by to offer my congrats. i'm in the same boat. 20 yrs old and doing all work myself. including bodywork, paint, and upholstery. i'm a bodyman already, but never done fiberglass so should be interesting. learning upholstery right now in college. there are a few of us youth out there that are worth more than 2 dead flies though i am ashamed of my generation. most of them are doing drugs etc. and not worth a darn thing. absolutely useless. lucky for you that car ain't your DD. mine is, so a body-off just ain't gonna happen. though the car will look quite interesting when i get ready for bodywork and paint. will just barely be legal is the plan.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
behardt91
Instructor

Originally Posted by 75vetteman
just stoppin by to offer my congrats. i'm in the same boat. 20 yrs old and doing all work myself. including bodywork, paint, and upholstery. i'm a bodyman already, but never done fiberglass so should be interesting. learning upholstery right now in college. there are a few of us youth out there that are worth more than 2 dead flies though i am ashamed of my generation. most of them are doing drugs etc. and not worth a darn thing. absolutely useless. lucky for you that car ain't your DD. mine is, so a body-off just ain't gonna happen. though the car will look quite interesting when i get ready for bodywork and paint. will just barely be legal is the plan.
Its good to know there are a few of us young hot rodders around! Im almost 21 and mine is a daily driver too. I think its time to get a 2nd car. And fiberglass work is fun! Just make sure you wear gloves haha

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...

Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by behardt91
And fiberglass work is fun!
Not when you have to make four flares look good!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
behardt91
Instructor

Originally Posted by stinger12
Not when you have to make four flares look good!
I havent been there yet but modifying my 74 bumper to fit the 79 front end wasnt too bad of an experience.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Mike had me pull the lip tighter to the tire on the right quarter panel. Its almost identical to the left quarter panel now.. I'm in the filler stage again with the right quarter, because I had to grind and glass a bunch of areas, so I decided to just start fresh.

It wasn't easy bringing myself to blocking all that filler work off, then moving the lip down 3/8" with glass, but he said it needed to be done. I should be back to where I was before in about two days...its almost done.

Name:  DSC09149.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  DSC09164.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  DSC09165.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  DSC09163.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  DSC09160.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  DSC09159.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  DSC09158.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  DSC09155.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  DSC09154.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  DSC09152.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  DSC09150.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  132.5 KB

Last edited by stinger12; 02-15-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Rookie's first attempt at a restoration...