C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM
68AIR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the iRiver FM transmitter. I purchased mine at Best Buy but I have seen them for sale on ebay etc. Price is under $50 I use it in 2 early 73 C3's and it works flawlessly with all stock Delco MONO radios. The reason I like the iRiver is because it can be programmed to any FM frequency not just the low frequency. So if you are getting whine somewhere you can always find something that is crystal clear. I set mine at 100.0 where there are no competing transmitting stations and I have zero problems. I simply download my music to my MP3 sandisk then instead of plugging in head phones, I plug the iRiver in and then into the cig lighter, tune the radio to match the iRiver and off you go.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM
polo1134
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68AIR
I highly recommend the iRiver FM transmitter. I purchased mine at Best Buy but I have seen them for sale on ebay etc. Price is under $50 I use it in 2 early 73 C3's and it works flawlessly with all stock Delco MONO radios. The reason I like the iRiver is because it can be programmed to any FM frequency not just the low frequency. So if you are getting whine somewhere you can always find something that is crystal clear. I set mine at 100.0 where there are no competing transmitting stations and I have zero problems. I simply download my music to my MP3 sandisk then instead of plugging in head phones, I plug the iRiver in and then into the cig lighter, tune the radio to match the iRiver and off you go.
I'm going to give the FM transmitter another shot. My girlfriends transmitter is a real cheapy maybe the iRiver or another comparable model would work. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by polo1134
I like the ones from Eckler's they have a somewhat vintage look to them. The one I like is a bit pricey,the Corvette USA-6 AM/FM Stereo $260. Anyone have any thoughts on the stereo's from Eckler's? It seems pretty straight forward to install, and it says it fits dash without modifications, I hope so.

DON'T GET IT! I normally don't write in caps, but I'm really unhappy with mine. I have the USA-2 model. It sounds great in the literature, especially since you can hook your Ipod up to it by means of an adaptor wire that plugs into the back of it. HOWEVER -

This is a big however: The unit is a disappointment. The wires are very thin-gauged, something like 20 or 22 perhaps. The connectors used on them are cheap. One even fell off when I was installing it.

The thing I hate the most about it is the display. At night, the green backlight is way too bright. (I didn't see a dimmer wire for it, either).
Worse, at night especially, you cannot see the station you are tuned to, because they put that faux tuning band script over top of the LCD display, to make it look "old" or whatever. It makes it where you can't see sqwat! I really hate this radio and am down $180. I plan on ripping it out this winter and putting it up on Ebay. I think I will bite the bullet and get a DIN-type unit, and yes, cut the bezel. My bezel is already cracked, so the $-value of it is limited anyway.

Stay away from these radios, unless you see them in person and are satisfied it's what you want. I had a person come up to me at a Corvette event and asked me my opinion of it, as he wanted one. I told him what I wrote above....
Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 PM
a kungfu mastah
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

well its sounds like the HK is a hard wired modulator. which can make a hell of a difference. Say whoever had that problem where he always had competition on the station, if your hardwiring the modulator in, you can disconnect your antenna, and get the modulation.

The quality of any modulator wont be superb. It all comes down to bitrate. radio is damn low on that scale. not sure where satiliete is though. its like taking an ancient record, and comparing it to a brand new remastered cd of the same record. if you have a casette player that would probably be the better way to go.

the modulator is a nice noninvasive way to connect your ipod. I had one for my 97 buick, chucked it because reception was bad.

if its actually a hardwired modulator, it should completely eliminate interference, but will still only give you old school radio quality.

Quick Reply: Trying to get an Ipod to work with our old C3 systems!