C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 won't crank after long term storage.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 PM
jbierschwale
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 won't crank after long term storage.

Hey guys,
recently pulled my '75 out of outdoor storage where it sat for 3 years. It ran and drove when I parked it, but the normal stuff is a problem now - brakes, power steering, etc. When we started it to drive it on the trailer at the storage place, we had to jump it (of course). The guy used one of those huge jumper boxes with it's own internal battery. The car started right up, surprisingly. It drove on the trailer just fine. When I got it home, I had to pull a battery from another vehicle to start it - the battery in the car wouldn't take a charge. I didn't expect it to, after sitting for three years. With the new battery, it started up with no problems - just like when the guy at the storage place jumped it with his battery box. Now I have cleared some time to start working on the car, but I cannot get it to start. The battery in the car is the same one that I used to pull it into the garage. It has been sitting on a battery tender/trickle charger. It shows good voltage. When the key is turned, I get absolutely nothing form the car. No noise, no clicks, no nothing. All of the accessories work - lights, radio, wipers, etc. I checked my wires on the starter, and a the two smaller ones that go to the solenoid were stripped bare for about a half inch. I replaced the damaged wire and reconnected the wires - still nothing. I removed the starter and pulled it apart to check the solenoid, make sure the motor was free turning, etc. The solenoid was exceptionally clean on the inside. Put the starter back on the car, and still nothing. I did reinstall the ground strap that was attached to the starter correctly with a good contact patch. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Sorry for all the detail - I just didn't want to skip over something that could have been a problem. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Stick a test light on the S terminal on the starter and hit the key. Sounds like your missing something in the neutral lockout or somewhere
Old 11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 75. Took it for gas this weekend started fine at home put gas ion and it wouldn't start just a single click when key was turned. Everything else worked fine. Had someone hold the key as I put a long screwdriver on the starter casing and tapped with a hammer and it turned over and started. Will be replacing the starter this weekend.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 929nitro
I had a similar problem with my 75. Took it for gas this weekend started fine at home put gas ion and it wouldn't start just a single click when key was turned. Everything else worked fine. Had someone hold the key as I put a long screwdriver on the starter casing and tapped with a hammer and it turned over and started. Will be replacing the starter this weekend.
That would be a heat soaked starter issue though. Different cause in my opinion as the original posters starter is dead when cold as ice. Confirm power is getting to the starter with a light as previously stated or use a volt meter on it.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Sounds like your Ground strap needs cleaned up under the body by the Tranny sitting for 3 yrs would do that The higher amp batt charger thing dude used had high amps so it burnt across the rust. try that

Get notified of new replies

To '75 won't crank after long term storage.

Quick Reply: '75 won't crank after long term storage.