Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i finally accomplished something!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i finally accomplished something!

so today after i got home from school (3:00ish) i ripped out my old heater core that leaked and replaced it with the one i bought off the internet a few days ago. i just got everything back together and the dash lights working again lol. all i have to do is install the 2 hoses, then i'm done!
woohoo!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Brk4No1
Cruising

Default Heater core help

I'm about to replace my heater core. When I bought my 77 the heater core was bypassed so I figure it must have been leaking. My car is equipped with a/c. Any advice on the best way to replace? I hear this job is a nightmare so I want to be prepared. I looked on the firewall and can't seem to locate the bolts holding the heater box. Can you post some pics for me so I know where I should be looking? I also need to replace the evaporator core. Is this possible with the engine in the car? Very little space to work in there. Not looking forward to this but love spending quality time with the vette.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Migth have to do mine someday, so would like to know too. No way I'm gonna pay some A/c shop 500 bucks to do mine!@
Old 11-21-2007, 06:38 AM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brk4No1
I'm about to replace my heater core. When I bought my 77 the heater core was bypassed so I figure it must have been leaking. My car is equipped with a/c. Any advice on the best way to replace? I hear this job is a nightmare so I want to be prepared. I looked on the firewall and can't seem to locate the bolts holding the heater box. Can you post some pics for me so I know where I should be looking? I also need to replace the evaporator core. Is this possible with the engine in the car? Very little space to work in there. Not looking forward to this but love spending quality time with the vette.
yeah i bypassed mine 8 months ago, and i wanted to replace it for winter. i also had my /c out several times in the past. in my opinion the heater core was earier than the a/c evaporator by far...the heater just took a while longer. there are 2 bolts on each side of the top of the heater box...one you get from the inside, the other is a nut that also goes through the a/c box on the outside. there are also two bolts on the bottom. i just kind of figured it out as i went. take out all the duct work, disconnect the hoses and everything else, and you can pull it out. all i had to pull out was the right lower dash pad and gauge bezel. sorry i already have it put back together so i can't get any pics, but if you need a pic of the bolt in the engine comparment, i can get that for you.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 AM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
Migth have to do mine someday, so would like to know too. No way I'm gonna pay some A/c shop 500 bucks to do mine!@
i know! corvettes west here in sarasota said the same thing!
there's now way i'm freakin' paying $500 to install a $55 heater core!! i just took a day, took my time to actually enjoy it and did it.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Brk4No1
There are several very good illustrated writeups in old threads here. Check the "Search!" sticky in C3 Tech for information on accessing old posts. HamadUP posted a great set of instructions, with illustrations, for removing the blower and evaporator box with the engine installed.

Here's Hamad's thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=evaporator

This is also a pretty good overview of the heater core job: http://wiki.corvettefaq.com/index.ph...73_454_with_AC
Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Brk4No1
Cruising

Yeah, I much rather spend $500 bucks on new carpet and other much needed goodies. I'll attempt the heater core and evap on my own. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 PM
NHRalph
Racer

I replaced the heaterbox in my 77 a few months ago. My car does not have A/C so everything was straight forward. After taking out the right dash panel and center cluster and console sides, then removing the four bolts, it came right out. The hardest part was putting the new heater core and housing back in, lining up the two inlet tubes going through the firewall, just take your time. Another caution, it is easy to break the bolt mounts on the housing so don't overtighten.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andylmusic76
all i have to do is install the 2 hoses, then i'm done!
woohoo!!!
Put a little anti freeze on the hoses before you put them on.Dont push on them too hard its easy to crack the tubes where they go into the core.

Get notified of new replies

To i finally accomplished something!

Quick Reply: i finally accomplished something!