John Wayne, a corvette pedal car, and the Batmobile

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 AM
rbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default John Wayne, a corvette pedal car, and the Batmobile

We went to Reno and Harrahs Auto Museum again and got some photos of the pedal car that everyone seemed interested in in my last post about this tour. It sets next to John Wayne's Corvette.

This time, the original Batmobile was on display so some photos of that are included.

http://yourfavoriteweb.com/corvette/harrahsII/

Temptation to pull the emergency bat turn lever was great but overcome. (no cars were touched in the making of this gallery)
Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM
1981 corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

rbird,

Very Cool, I was a kid but, I remember when the Batman T.V. series started..... and the batmobile, still one of the best looking cars of all time..... thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by rbird
We went to Reno and Harrahs Auto Museum again and got some photos of the pedal car that everyone seemed interested in in my last post about this tour. It sets next to John Wayne's Corvette.

This time, the original Batmobile was on display so some photos of that are included.

http://yourfavoriteweb.com/corvette/harrahsII/

Temptation to pull the emergency bat turn lever was great but overcome. (no cars were touched in the making of this gallery)
Old 01-05-2008, 12:00 PM
jerrylee
Pro

Awsomw..Thanx for sharing..........Jerrylee///
Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ron,

Thanks for the info. Got any close ups of John Wayne's Corvette or the info sign next to it? I always wondered where his Corvette ended up at...I am a huge fan of his. In fact, I named my son Duke after him Any other photos or info on his Vette I would greatly appreciate you sharing.

Thanks

Craig
Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Cool Cars but Not the original Batmobile. Barris created the original 66 Batmobile from a Ford Futura Concept car. There were 5 Batmobiles in total two cones like the one shown, a dragster high performance one w/a ford racing motor in it & the number 5 car called the outlaw which was in the TV movie because the number one car didn't run at the time. The 2 & 3 cars never were on TV but promotion cars, the drag car was raced once on a closed hwy for a promotion shoot. Number 2,3 & 4 were all fiberclass bodies like our vette's the 1 & 5 are steel body cars. No one knows where the original car is rumors have it was destroyed in a fire. Here's a pic of the number 5 car which I drove in a parade. I'm Batman.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting info re the 5 Bat mobiles. I was 9 -10 years old and watched it every week, same bat time-same bat channel! I still have my original first issue Corgie Bat Mobile with both figure.
Thanks for posting all those pics!
Glenn
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
Ron,

Thanks for the info. Got any close ups of John Wayne's Corvette or the info sign next to it? I always wondered where his Corvette ended up at...I am a huge fan of his. In fact, I named my son Duke after him Any other photos or info on his Vette I would greatly appreciate you sharing.

Thanks

Craig
Hello Craig... I posted the older photos I had of Mr. Waynes car. I did not get a good image of the sign but I did get decent shots of the photo and the service policy.

http://yourfavoriteweb.com/corvette/harrahsII/more.htm

There is also a gold plated Deloren (sp?). Has a small scratch that was quoted at like $70,000 to fix.

Also a copper plated Rolls Royce used for Lion hunting in Africa. Fully preped with rifles and kitchen. There was a silver model done for tiger hunting in India but not in the collection.

And a Jeep with a 12cyl. ferrari engine to get tourists up the hill to Tahoe from Reno in a hurry... notice the license plate.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Jims79
Cool Cars but Not the original Batmobile. Barris created the original 66 Batmobile from a Ford Futura Concept car. There were 5 Batmobiles in total two cones like the one shown, a dragster high performance one w/a ford racing motor in it & the number 5 car called the outlaw which was in the TV movie because the number one car didn't run at the time. The 2 & 3 cars never were on TV but promotion cars, the drag car was raced once on a closed hwy for a promotion shoot. Number 2,3 & 4 were all fiberclass bodies like our vette's the 1 & 5 are steel body cars. No one knows where the original car is rumors have it was destroyed in a fire. Here's a pic of the number 5 car which I drove in a parade. I'm Batman.

I stand corrected on "original"

I'd love to see more pics of the drag car if you know where any are.

And yes... you ARE Batman...
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

And a Jeep with a 12cyl. ferrari engine to get tourists up the hill to Tahoe from Reno in a hurry... notice the license plate.
I think that was built as personal transportation for Mr. Harrah, not for hauling tourists.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by GD70
Interesting info re the 5 Bat mobiles. I was 9 -10 years old and watched it every week, same bat time-same bat channel! I still have my original first issue Corgie Bat Mobile with both figure.
Thanks for posting all those pics!
Glenn
My Mother handed me my old Hot Wheels Batmobile last year and said "I thought you might want this..." It's now in the wifes jewelry box.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I think that was built as personal transportation for Mr. Harrah, not for hauling tourists.
Thanks... A fun ride I am sure! Especially with no speed limit at the time there.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hello Craig... I posted the older photos I had of Mr. Waynes car. I did not get a good image of the sign but I did get decent shots of the photo and the service policy.

http://yourfavoriteweb.com/corvette/harrahsII/more.htm
Thanks Ron, I guess I have a reason to visit Reno now one of these days

Craig
Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

I stand corrected on "original"

I'd love to see more pics of the drag car if you know where any are.

And yes... you ARE Batman...
I'll do better then a pic. Here's a video link of it drag racing on the closed road. It has a 427 BB and it was the only car that flames shot out the back. http://www.1966batmobile.com/dragsterinaction.mpeg All of the replicas are privately owned and are in VA, WA, CA & NJ. Barris never sold the original but made a boat load of $$ showing it. However he did sign a lot of replicas in the 80's 90's & to date other then the original 5 and sold them as originals (real nice guy). The NJ owner also owns the Batcycle..
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

one of the batmobiles was at the nassau colisium this past fall the new owner bought it at an auction ,he uses it for a promo at a car wash in farmindale l.i. new york it is pretty cool loking considering it was done 40 somewhat years ago , i thought he sad it was a old linco conversion
Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Thanks... A fun ride I am sure! Especially with no speed limit at the time there.
I almost missed a flight out of Reno a few months ago because I couldn't tear myself away from that museum...it's a cool place.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
68AIR
Burning Brakes

Love it. I am still waiting for Batman on DVD for my kids. I used to never miss an episode and even watched after school the reruns.
The exterior rear view mirrors on the museum Batmobile look like early 60's Ford. I did not see them on the parade car.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I almost missed a flight out of Reno a few months ago because I couldn't tear myself away from that museum...it's a cool place.
It's a shame it's nothing like it was when Bill Harrah was alive.

Get notified of new replies

To John Wayne, a corvette pedal car, and the Batmobile

Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 AM
rbird
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

I'll do better then a pic. Here's a video link of it drag racing on the closed road. It has a 427 BB and it was the only car that flames shot out the back. http://www.1966batmobile.com/dragsterinaction.mpeg All of the replicas are privately owned and are in VA, WA, CA & NJ. Barris never sold the original but made a boat load of $$ showing it. However he did sign a lot of replicas in the 80's 90's & to date other then the original 5 and sold them as originals (real nice guy). The NJ owner also owns the Batcycle..
Thanks for the bat good info. That 427 was CRAZY. Looks like it wanted to get away from him once or twice.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:51 AM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

All of the replicas are privately owned and are in VA, WA, CA & NJ. Barris never sold the original but made a boat load of $$ showing it. However he did sign a lot of replicas in the 80's 90's & to date other then the original 5 and sold them as originals (real nice guy).:
I was involved with a commercial shoot 5 or 6 years ago
for Tuffy Muffler that featured Adam West with a Batmobile.
I had the opportunity to really spend some time looking it over.
The interior/dash seemed different than the shots we used to see
on the TV series. Any idea which of the 5 this could of been?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
I was involved with a commercial shoot 5 or 6 years ago
for Tuffy Muffler that featured Adam West with a Batmobile.
I had the opportunity to really spend some time looking it over.
The interior/dash seemed different than the shots we used to see
on the TV series. Any idea which of the 5 this could of been?
Not sure w/out seeing the car. Only the # 1 & # 5 are true twins the other three cars look like the original but are a little different & the interiors are very different. Barris did this to make the original car unique. The # 5 was built but some 'Bat' fan who showed up at a Bat-show in it. Barris was so pissed he called the US Marshall's who arrested the fan & confiscated the car (that's where the nick name 'the outlaw' came from. The #5 sat for years on a studio lot until it was restored for the TV movie because the # 1 didn't run & was used for close-up still shots. As far as the other car mentioned from Farmingdale most replicas are made from Lincoln's its not one of the original 5. One last bit of bat-info. The # 1 is a Lincoln Futura concept car, is has a 390 BB, the 2 & 3 are galaxie 500's #2 has a 390 BB #3 has a 352 both are are made out of fiberglass. The #4 dragster is also a fiberglass galaxie w/a ford racing motor 427 BB. Last the #5 is a 58 T-Bird all steel body and has a 352 motor. As far as handle the cars are scary, they don't turn, or stop and the view from the drivers seat is like closing one eye sitting on the floor and you can't look back. I'm done. See you soon, 'same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Quick Reply: John Wayne, a corvette pedal car, and the Batmobile