Sponsored by:

Warped T-Top

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Warped T-Top

Is it possible to have warped fiberglass t-tops,I purchased on old set for my 80 coupe and after installing the passenger side and adjusting the latch,there is a fair size gap along the front of the right one,it seems it is bowed for about a 2 inch area,is it possible for this to warp or did I buy a set not for an 80?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BARRY L-48
Is it possible to have warped fiberglass t-tops,I purchased on old set for my 80 coupe and after installing the passenger side and adjusting the latch,there is a fair size gap along the front of the right one,it seems it is bowed for about a 2 inch area,is it possible for this to warp or did I buy a set not for an 80?
is their anyway to get a picture? have you tried messing arround with the "teeth" in the inside and the latches on the outside? you might be able to sinch it down by putting some schimms (spell) in the teeth, thats how i brought mine down

if you pull off the inside lining (held to the top by nothing but a high strength "vel-cro") you can see how to mess with them, the closer the teeth are to outside roof, the tighter its going to be pulled down to the center support structure

Miles

Last edited by randommj; 01-10-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

I started a thread about this last fall. Another owner chimed in with a picture. My passenger top is the same way.

Using my folding sawhorses, I placed them on the bottom shelf of my workbench and laid the passenger top on them. The sawhorses ran down the sides of the top from front to rear, one on each side. Then, in front of the top, I stacked some boxes up to a height taller than the top. Then I placed a 15lb dumbell on the front center of the top, with a pad between the two. I left if for 3-4 weeks like that. Recently I put the top back on. The rear guide pin is almost impossible to get in place. I think my solution worked, but the top is still adjusted for the "bowed" position. I'm going to have to put the top back on my flattening rig for a bit because it's been installed on the car for a few weeks. Then I'll loosen all the adjustment points and try to reinstall and close the gap.

*edit*
Is this what you are referring to?

Last edited by Ak. Mal; 01-10-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
trainmankjm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you take a pix of your "flattening rig" with the tops installed?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

That is exactly what my right top looks like!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg

I loosened all the bolts today and tried to align the top. I almost have the gap across the front closed. I used a folded matchbook between the rubber headed bolt and the windshield header. I took the top off and put it back under my work bench.

To be honest, I don't care if the front edge is warped looking, I just want the weatherstripping to seal. If this last attempt fails, I'll space the weather stripping with some foam weatherstripping until the top is sealed.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM
bfrank
4th Gear

I have the same problem where you able to get it fixed?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM
straitjacket
Racer

Originally Posted by BARRY L-48
That is exactly what my right top looks like!
mine too!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ditto, but mine is the mirrored M1131.

Get notified of new replies

To Warped T-Top

Quick Reply: Warped T-Top