Sponsored by:

Roller Rockers on a big block

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
454_71Stingray
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roller Rockers on a big block

can you tell any difference in performance really and are there any that will fit under the stock valve covers? What brand are you using?
Thanks
Don
Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I used to have Comp Cams magnum roller rockers into my LS5 engine and now I've just installed Comp Cams aluminum roller rockers and both fitted nice with a stock valve cover, with the aluminum ones I used a little thicker gasket from Fel-pro with a tight clearance (around .2 inch), I didnt start the engine yet so hopefully they will move freely inside!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 AM
454_71Stingray
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HamadUP
I used to have Comp Cams magnum roller rockers into my LS5 engine and now I've just installed Comp Cams aluminum roller rockers and both fitted nice with a stock valve cover, with the aluminum ones I used a little thicker gasket from Fel-pro with a tight clearance (around .2 inch), I didnt start the engine yet so hopefully they will move freely inside!
Cool, please let me know, I just think tall valve covers look dorky and they wont work on mine anyway because they will not allow enough clearence at the back of the alternator.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM
gmg1977
Racer

I have a set of Comp Cams magnum rollers on mine. they fit and run perfectly under my covers I got got off evilbay. They are the chrome ones that look like stock bbc covers.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 454_71Stingray
Cool, please let me know, I just think tall valve covers look dorky and they wont work on mine anyway because they will not allow enough clearence at the back of the alternator.
I started the engine for the 1st time with the new roller rockers and it cleared the stock valve cover with a thick rubber Fel-Pro gasket just fine.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Shoevette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running the Comp's as well under the stock covers. They run great. I did swap out the cam as well, but I was able to drop the compression and keep the performance as well.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I see this question all the time. Loads of them sold but your better off spending the money on something else. ....

There is no bang for the buck using them. Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear.

Last edited by Ironcross; 01-25-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I see this question all the time. Loads of them sold but your better off spending the money on something else. ....

There is no bang for the buck using them. Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear.
Thats right, unless you have a bigger than stock cam, theres no reason to have them. I have a little higher left cam than stock so I decided to have them, the other reason is that I got them from ebay for a real cheap price
Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM
454_71Stingray
Safety Car

I wanted the truth so thats exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you
Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've believe a true roller rocker will free up some power due to the reduced friction in the roller bearings. I bought a used set for mine but haven't installed them yet. It's nice to know they will clear the stock rocker covers.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Rockers on a big block

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers on a big block