Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Vert Back Lid Leaking

Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 69 Vert Back Lid Leaking

Tons of rain this week and after work I went out to the car and my whole back compartment carpet was soaking wet. It was coming from the lid corner area. I had fixed a leak last year in the same area but it was in the rear chamber/trough drainage cavity so I new it couldnt be that. I watched with a flashlight while in the rain and nothing dripped.

Then later I used a hose and really let her have it and there it was seaping between weatherstrip and body. This is bad since all my stereo stuff is back there and I have to leave my car all day sitting in the rain.
I dont want to buy another car cover and most arent water repellant.
Weatherstrip is only 4 years old so not sure why its not working. It looks nice and wedged from the outside. I dont think new weatherstrip will solve this.

Anyone ever have this problem?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfer69
Tons of rain this week and after work I went out to the car and my whole back compartment carpet was soaking wet. It was coming from the lid corner area. I had fixed a leak last year in the same area but it was in the rear chamber/trough drainage cavity so I new it couldnt be that. I watched with a flashlight while in the rain and nothing dripped.

Then later I used a hose and really let her have it and there it was seaping between weatherstrip and body. This is bad since all my stereo stuff is back there and I have to leave my car all day sitting in the rain.
I dont want to buy another car cover and most arent water repellant.
Weatherstrip is only 4 years old so not sure why its not working. It looks nice and wedged from the outside. I dont think new weatherstrip will solve this.

Anyone ever have this problem?
In what you are calling the drainage cavity, there are drain hoses. These get clogged and just cleaning the "drainage cavity", or rear plenum area, doesn't always solve the problem. I also believe the convert drain tube has a 90 degree bend adding to the problem.

My 70 AIM shows the details, but unfortunately my scanners down so I can't post a pic. If you have the AIM for your 69 it may be on the same page. UPC1- sheet F22- page K114
Old 01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

dennis, I know what you're talking about with the hoses. I took my rear compartment vent doors off so I could check them. You can just barely reach a finger in the hose and feel up to the area I'm talking about(chamber). Mine seemed clear no major blockage. But I noticed the water standing still at the entryway to the "chamber" where the lid sits.

There are two on each side so water wasnt going down the rubber hoses. I think this is just due to that angle. The entry opening is on the down slope of the gutters and the rubber hoses are just "up hill" about 10 inches. The water just sits and pools in the corners then rides up over and between the rail/rubber weatherstrip if there's a gap.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Vert Back Lid Leaking

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69 Vert Back Lid Leaking