Sponsored by:

bonding strips separating

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
imdawrlus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bonding strips separating

i've got a 79 and on both sides right next to the front bumper and the front of the door, and again right behind the door and right next to the rear bumper i have small, 1/2 to 1 inch hairline cracks. the hairline doesn't streach the whole legnth of the bonding strip.

these cracks are right were the bonding strips are. the cars got beautiful paint...can i leave this alone or is it all just going to crack and fall apart in a couple years?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No your car will not fall apart,it's just the material that is shrinking.My 73 was like that when I bought the car and it stayed that way till I did a repaint and repaired it.If your paint is good I would just leave it alone to you have it repainted
Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
imdawrlus
Instructor

what i'm gonna do is measure the exact length of each crack and make sure they dont get longer...i dont remember seeing them when i bought the car in august...they were probably there but i just didnt notice.

the car has been painted sometime in the past few years but i dont know when.

so you dont think its anything to worry about and you dont think they'll get bigger?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
imdawrlus
Instructor

its really not as bad as i thought.

i havent seen the car in a couple months, so i kind of forgot what it looked like. there really only is a couple spots where its about 3/4 inch long, and its just a hairline crack. not gonna worry too much about it.

heres a picture of the bonding strip near the door and a picture of the strip next to the nose:

Get notified of new replies

To bonding strips separating

Quick Reply: bonding strips separating