Sponsored by:

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine question

im new to building motors but i wanted to ask a few "dumb" questions so i can learn.

Can you re-use cylinder heads on a different motor later down the road if u decide to build another motor? *replacing springs, valves etc.*

Can you, or has anyone ever re-used full roller rockers on a second motor?

i wouldnt even think about using anything else on my next motor but i just wondered if the savings would bite me in the butt later down the road if i decided to re-use those parts.

BTW, does anyone recommend a decent set of full roller rockers? im build a 350 4 bolt main engine *mid-80's block*

I work at Motor Machine in Carmichael, CA but im just starting there so im pretty "dumb" to the whole racing brands and stuff

any tips/advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes you can reuse heads and roller rockers, but as all used parts go, there is wear involved and if the parts cannot be freshened, it's a risk to use them.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Most aluminum roller rockers are a "wear item" that needs to be replaced on down the road. Unless you know exactly how old and how much use is on the aluminum ones, I would personally steer clear. Steel roller rockers will last much longer and I would not be afraid to re-use them on a second motor.

Heads can be swapped over and over. Just be careful the previous owner didn't over port them or shave them.

I bought a set of GTO heads for my 442, and found out they had been shaved after I had them installed, and the pushrods wouldn't work. I then checked the compression ( I know, I should have bench tested the heads first) and it was at 12.5 to 1. That was a few hundred dollars wasted!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

on the heads, i planned on using some Pro1 Dart heads, anyone have any feedback on these or a similar product? im looking at making around 450 hp and 400 Tq. would going with a 180cc runner and 2.02/1.60 on the heads be ok? im looking to have a 10:1 comp with a 64 cc head. can anyone shed some more light on what else might help me achieve these #'s? i have a fairly good idea but im sure im missing some simple stuff
Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Cam and heads is what is going to make the HP levels you are going for. 450HP out of a 350 is going to be a pretty healthy cam. Are you looking to go to a roller cam? This will be more $$$ but make more power. I ran a set of AFR 195 heads on my 350 with a solid flat tappet cam at 248 @ .050 and .525 lift and made right around 430 HP. It needed rpm to make the power but above 3000 rpm hold on. What is the rest of your car. 4 speed or auto, what rear gears do you have?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:50 PM
EVIL_GRIM
Racer

i believe 3.73 in rear, A/T. i had the tranny rebuilt a while back but im due for another, or a new one all together. is there much machine work involved in upgrading to a hydraulic roller lifter cam?

has anyone ever used that program by Comp Cams to calculate HP TQ #'s?

Get notified of new replies

To Engine question

Quick Reply: Engine question