Sponsored by:

screw removal help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default screw removal help needed

I have a 71 vette with the screw heads twisted off on my parking light lense in the grill. The grill is in good condition and part of the screws are sticking out of the grill thanks for any ideas of help as I do not want to spend $400 for another grill.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use PB blaster and apply several times. Give it time to soak in and lightly tap the screw shafts to set up a vibration to help it seep into the threads. Use A small vise grip to grab the screw shafts and turn SLOWLY. You don't want to snap them off or else you 'll have to drill them out.
Good lick.
Glenn
Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to be careful, particularly around plastic, but I have had to drill them out before. Start with a small bit.

Had to recently drill one out of a rocker panel I was stripping/refinishing.

Mark
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If the lenses are bad and you are not going to use them try taking a dremel tool and grinding a slot in the head of the screw. Carefully take a small screw driver and try to back them out. If all else fails you will have to drill the heads off.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I have had good succes using screw extractors from Craftsmen. They have small sets that have a drill bit in one end and the extractor on the other. Use a good penetrating fluid like the PB mentioned earlier and take your time.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:55 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the samething happen. Broke off the screw on a 71 front lens--two came out one wouldn't. Finally ended up breaking the lens apart (mine were 36 years old) and then had to drill it out and retap the hole. Sorry I tried everything but it wouldn't come loose. I have not had much luck with extractors and I have tried 2-3 different types. The best thing is go slow, use lots of kroil before you start and before you break it off. I have turned a 5 minute job into a two day job because I got in a hurry and didn't prelubricate with kroil before attempting to remove a bolt, nut, etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Patrick73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 929nitro
I have had good succes using screw extractors from Craftsmen. They have small sets that have a drill bit in one end and the extractor on the other. Use a good penetrating fluid like the PB mentioned earlier and take your time.

Just used an extractor tool this past weekend on a small screw. It worked great. Before I got an extractor tool, I used the dremel tool method referred to by Gordonm. It will work too. So far I have always been able to remove any bolt, screw, etc----but have had the 5 minute job turn into a two day job as mentioned by wallifishmn due to getting in a hurry.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Been there. Done that.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Vette Dent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get stuck drilling, get yourself some left hand (reverse) drill bits. It helps when the bit sometimes turns the screw out for you.

Get notified of new replies

To screw removal help needed

Quick Reply: screw removal help needed