Engine Pull & AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
foooz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pull & AC Question

75 coupe - 350
I am clearing everything to remove the engine and tranny together. Do the following items need to be removed
- exhaust manifolds
- distributor and/or cap
- starter
- water pump (fan and radiator are out)
- AC pump (have clear of engine but still in bay)
I believe I have all the other stuff identified.
I have read several comments about having to come in from the side to pull engine, I assume this is due to the length of the front end. Will the extendable booms reach from the front? What challenges are presented coming in from the side?

When pulling my AC the brackets were attached to the exhaust manifold bolt/studs. I plan on installing headers when new engine is installed. How do the brackets work with headers or do they? Secondly should I change my AC system at this time? It is the R-12 which I believe can not be found anymore. If so what options do I have?
thanks in advance,
scott
Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 AM
1981Z06Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd leave the exhaust manifolds on..much easier to remove when the engine is out. If you aren't reusing the head pipes, I'd cut them as its much easier than fighting with the exhaust studs under the car. Pull the distributor, as its easily damaged when pulling the engine. The starter and water pump can be left in place, though the pump is only a few bolts and is easy enough to remove and may be worth it if you're pulling the engine alone. If the AC works and blows cold, I'd leave it alone...if not, you can buy an R134 retrofit kit from any autoparts store. In that case, remove the AC compressor so you can clean/paint it while its out. Depending on your engine hoist, you should be able to pull from the front (thats how I would do it). You would have to have the wheel off and the car up on stands to pull from the side, and I personally like to have the car as low as possible once everything is disconnected, for stability's sake. Most header manufacturers make an AC bracket/adapter, though you may be able to modify yours to work.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
foooz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information.
scott

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Pull & AC Question

Quick Reply: Engine Pull & AC Question