Sponsored by:

Interior floors, prep for carpet

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM
TyCor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior floors, prep for carpet

I removed my carpet and am prepping the floors for the new stuff. I had a lot of rust, definitely looked like there was a leak at some point.

Question: what "caulk" material do I use on the seams where the floors come together?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
75 Red Vert
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seam sealer - available at your local automotive paint store. Comes in either a tube or you can get it in a caulk tube type for a caulking gun. When I got ready to put the bolts in the holes for the seats, I used a little clear non hardening RTV to keep water from seeping up thru the threads. May not have been necessary, but what the heck, why not.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 AM
TyCor
Instructor

I went to the auto parts store and looked for something like "seam sealer" to fill in the gaps of the floor sheet metal, but they had no idea what I was talking about...any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 AM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Go to one that sells automotive paint, they will more than likely have it. I use the 3M Brushable Seam sealer, you can get it in a qt can and apply it with a normal paint brush. Dont have to worry about it hardening up like you do with the caulk gun types. (As long as you put the lid back on tight).
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Strip Sealer

Originally Posted by TyCor
I went to the auto parts store and looked for something like "seam sealer" to fill in the gaps of the floor sheet metal, but they had no idea what I was talking about...any suggestions?
I've been looking for a sealer that comes in strips. NAPA has a 3M product, but only sells it in packages w/ 60 pieces @ 1' long (black in color). I'd really like to find something that won't leave me with so much extra. If you live near other members, perhaps a group could divide it.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:18 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

I Pick it up at Keystone Automtive. They are a paint and bodywork supplies house. I also use a lot fo the 3m strips (aka Dum-dum).

Keep in mind Seam Sealer will pretty much harden up. Dum-dum will keep some of it's softness and elasticity.

Seam Sealer:

Dum-dum:
Old 04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
comp
Team Owner

they got it

Get notified of new replies

To Interior floors, prep for carpet

Quick Reply: Interior floors, prep for carpet