Sponsored by:

XM or Sirius Wireless FM System--Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default XM or Sirius Wireless FM System--Opinions

Looking for more stations in my 71 but don't want to replace original working radio. Just replaced the speakers but don't want to cut wires, holes, etc.--want to keep everything original. Anyone bought and used either the XM or Sirius FM wireless systems? What was your opinion, quality sound, etc. Best price was where? Thanks
Old 05-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I know that using my Zune with an FM transmitter makes me crazy with all the static. I want to hear the music clear and the static just gets in the way of my enjoyment. My wife bought me an XM RCexpress unit for Christmas and I was very hesitant about putting in my Z06 until I came up with a way to get it to sound decent. I did not want to have to go through the FM transmitter.

I have not had good luck with the FM transmitter in my car. At home on a stereo or boombox, they work great.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:30 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had a XM roady for a couple of years and it works just fine in the FM mode,as long as you can find an empty space on the FM dial in your area.I also use the aux input and a cable in a couple of my vehicles and get a bit more noise than I would like,maybe I need a better patch cord.I have only used it with newer,digital head units,can't say how it will work with an older radio.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default The Dog

I've got sirius, two of them and they both work equally well in what ever I put them in, including the house. I started originally with a " xact visor" that I bought at wal-mart rather cheaply, then sirius sent me (e-mail) about buying another that basically was free with the subscription for a year of the newly bought unit, that was a "sportster 4" that wound up being stolen by some scumbag and when I called sirius to cancel that subscription they asked me if they could send me a replacement N/C for the stolen one, $hit yes I said and they replaced it with the same type of unit but "factory reconditioned" it works just as good as the original one, no idea on how itwill work in the Corvette cause I am about a month +/- of getting it on the road. I'll tell ya , I dont listen to regular radio at all anymore, SIRIUS 14 Classic Vinyl, is the place to be. Dont know about xm but I guess it'd be similar and they are soon to merge anyway, Try it you'll like it, I betcha. Peace,,,Moosie

P.S. This all started with a birthday gift to my son of a Kenwood car audio radio cd player etc. etc. etc. etc. that had a built-in sirius radio and when we hooked it up and he listened to it he raved about the Sirius more then anything else, yeah, he's hooked also
Old 05-10-2008, 04:07 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I have an XM Roady (Ebay) that I switch between my '71/88 vettes and Mountaineer depending on which vehicle I'm driving.

I installed an antenna on each vehicle that stays on each car all the time (3 antennas) while I transfer the Roady with the cig lighter plug to the car of the day.

The key is finding a good clean FM channel in your area. Once you do that, the sound is .
Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I have XM but just cancelled it. I use my ipod. I listen to what I want when I want.

My 2 cents worth
Old 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sirius here...Soon,XM/Sirus will merge...basic package may start at about $6.50 month...you can pick 50 channels I think...

I've had my Sportster R for two years now...185 channels...transmits thru my 8 track/FM and sounds great...just upgraded speakers...

No static,noise...
Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I have the Xsystem. Its in my Tractor/trailer. I found ,when using the antenna that came with the unit,that a major up grade in antenna was neccesary. Using the magnetic unit that came with it, I had lots of "blank",non-signal areas.With the up-grade,its great. The only problem with XM is that the do NOT have NFL games.The do have all the baseball games as well as Nascar. Theyn have channels for 40s music,as well as each decade after.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 372 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Had a Roady for 3-4 years with the FM option. I travel a lot, it sucks always having to find a clear channel. Just got a new company car that has an AUX jack, what a difference in sound!! Night & day. If you have to use the FM, then OK, I'll never go back now. I now swap between my Roady & my iPod depending on what's on.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I have sirius which has a lifetime plan One lump sum upfront and no bill in the future ever. Its great. Sirius has the nfl and xm has the mlb. As far as music I think sirius has better channels.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had an XM Skyfi for about 4 years in my DD and factory installed in the wifes car. As others say, I seldom listen to FM anymore. As long as you use a modulator that cuts out the FM antenna, finding blank stations is no longer a problem. The modulator separates the car antenna signal form the XM antenna signal so reception is not compromised. Modulators are available from Delphi and Crutchfield.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:05 PM
wildchris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPODS are the best
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

monthly subscription fees for radio..... thats just crazy

I've converted my 2000+ cd's, LP's, Cassettes, and reels to mp3 and have them all on tap on a NAS server on my home network....

Now I burn 5+ cds worth of mp3's to a single mp3 cd-rw and cruise

and as a bonus.. with that idiot stern on satellite, I don't have to put up with 5 stations carrying his moronic boobie babble

Last edited by pbcanney; 05-10-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
wildchris
Instructor

Stern is an ignorant a$$hole!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 AM
ENG40
Racer

Sirius 14
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 386 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I got my new Harley it had XM free for 3 months- I liked it well enough to do the subscription thing and they offered me another radio for $5. Put that one in my pickup- They have a convertor that goes inline with the antenna to the original radio. No static, no hassle. Plug it in, (GM pickups have a 2 piece antenna lead that has a connector behind the glove box) plug it into power and the rest is automatic. You still need to find a blank radio channel.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 AM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ups and downs....

XM, when it works, is great, but it has the issues here and there as people stated here when using the FM transmitter. I have one for my daily driver, and have it built into my 2005 vette and Saturn Sky, and there is no comparison as to quality of having the direct connection.

One thing you might try is having your stock radio rebuilt, but upgraded. I believe there are a few places on the web that will keep the orignality of how your stock radio looks, operates, but can add RCA input (not sure about IPOD inputs yet) to the rear so you can have a direct connection. I was thinking about it for my 68.

Get notified of new replies

To XM or Sirius Wireless FM System--Opinions

Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Mia
Burning Brakes

I've had XM since the beginning. At this point, it does not matter which, because the two are one.

IMO, XM has gone from Commercial Free Radio to Radio Free Commercials. I pay around $21/mo. for two units, one built in on the G6 and a mobile I use between my Vette and Olds. It was nice in the beginning, but with all the damned commercials, I have to ask myself on a regular basis why I pay for it

When I figure out how to pirate it, I'm done with the subscriptions.

Now, as for the FM transmitter, it works perfectly, IMO.. The problems people have are those that travel long distances and end up getting interference from a stronger signal from the station they are on. I found that anything in the 107 MHz or higher range is PERFECT for XM. Leave it there, and you will NEVER have a problem with the signal. The commercials, thats another story.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:28 AM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

MIA: I'm confused--I thought XM was commercial free????????????????
Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Mia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wallifishrmn
MIA: I'm confused--I thought XM was commercial free????????????????
It is and it isn't. Some stations have commercials.. Very few of them don't. The comedy stations seem to have nothing but go to my pc commercials or commercials for Branson Missouri, or hoodia.. It's been getting worse and worse over time.

The music channels that do not have commercials will take breaks to tell you about how there are no commercials.. which to me, is a commercial.

I've had it long enough to see the difference. I liken it to the days when MTV had actual Music Videos ONLY and NO COMMERCIALS or stupid reality shows..

Quick Reply: XM or Sirius Wireless FM System--Opinions