C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!

I was looking for a nice qjet carb for my car on ebay, to buy it and send it to Lars to do his magic, I found that carb, and won by bidding the highest bed :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=280240150491

I sent the seller a message before I bid, asking him if its ok to send it to someone in CO (which is Lars home address), and he said OK and asked $15. After closing the bed, I paid him through paypal but he never responded to my messages for 10 days!! .. I just got a message from him today, mentioning that he only ship to paypal confirmed addresses only and offered me a refund, he was a little rude in his email, too!

If you read carefully in his listing, nothing is mentioned about confirmed paypal shipping address, also you'll notice that he was hoping to sell it for $200, but I won it for $41, which is a cheap price. And thats why he refuses to ship it and wants to refund me!

For God's sake!! .. make a reserve on what you are looking for and dont waste my time and money!!

what do you guys think of that? what should I do?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

just get it shipped to you. obviously he is trying to get out of the sale
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Easy solution here. I agree with avalonjohn.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:09 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Not a good solution for me, as my confirmed paypal address is outside US, thats why I asked him before my bid. sounds like he is blackmailing me for that reason.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Better check w/Lars first because I just recently read a post here where as of July 1st, Lars is no longer doing carbs and distributors by mail.

FWIW. Good Luck!

-------------------------------------------

Edit: here's the link to the thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2070888

Last edited by ACECO; 07-07-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I already checked with Lars, and he is just waiting for the carb. Let me see what will end up with that ebay seller.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it was $41

have it shipped to you

if it doesnt arrive in 7 days after payment open a dispute

that always gets them moving

I have 3 disputes open right now because the sellers (all californian) want more money to ship than they quoted.

whatever...
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
I was looking for a nice qjet carb for my car on ebay, to buy it and send it to Lars to do his magic, I found that carb, and won by bidding the highest bed :

I sent the seller a message before I bid, asking him if its ok to send it to someone in CO (which is Lars home address), and he said OK and asked $15. After closing the bed, I paid him through paypal but he never responded to my messages for 10 days!! .. I just got a message from him today, mentioning that he only ship to paypal confirmed addresses only and offered me a refund, he was a little rude in his email, too!

If you read carefully in his listing, nothing is mentioned about confirmed paypal shipping address, also you'll notice that he was hoping to sell it for $200, but I won it for $41, which is a cheap price. And thats why he refuses to ship it and wants to refund me!

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
just get it shipped to you. obviously he is trying to get out of the sale

At the end of the ad it says "US Bidders Only".He didn't get the $200 he wanted for it so he's going to use that to back out of the agreement. Look for the Dispute Console and file a dispute keep all the E-Mails most of all the ones saying you wanted it shipped to someone in the US and him agreeing.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
At the end of the ad it says "US Bidders Only".He didn't get the $200 he wanted for it so he's going to use that to back out of the agreement. Look for the Dispute Console and file a dispute keep all the E-Mails most of all the ones saying you wanted it shipped to someone in the US and him agreeing.

wow.. I missed the big red letters and the Doha thing.

HamadUp... get the refund. You wont win this battle with ebay or paypal.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by HamadUP

For God's sake!! .. make a reserve on what you are looking for and dont waste my time and money!!

what do you guys think of that? what should I do?
Sorry to hear you had such a problem but actually he is right.
If you use Paypal it must be shipped to the confirmed address that the Paypal account is set up for. That prevents identity theft and fraud.
And it does say Paypal and US bidders only.
But he should not have told you it was ok to send it to Lars.
But by the same token - you are using Paypal and you should have known their policies also.
So you are both wrong.
Work it out with him is my advice.
Good luck.
Bman
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcanney
wow.. I missed the big red letters and the Doha thing.

HamadUp... get the refund. You wont win this battle with ebay or paypal.
I agree PayPal and Ebay do nothing to help you out, unless it is an easy fix, if it means money out of their pockets forget it. There is no protection from them.

Get a refund and leave negative feedback. The feedback rules have changed recently and sellers can't leave negative feedback on your account anymore
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you temporarily modify your shipping address in Paypal? (to Lars' address)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
But he should not have told you it was ok to send it to Lars.
I'm guessing the seller didn't realize that the buyer was out of the country or that it wasn't going to be a confirmed address when he said that.

Doesn't seem to me like the seller is trying to back out of anything but what appears to him to be a risky sale or possible scam. If I was selling something and a buyer in a foreign country wanted to pay for it, but wanted me to ship it to a US address, I'd say no thanks and refund the guy's money too. It's not worth losing the item AND the money, and that's often what happens in such cases, because this is exactly how buyers who commit fraud against the sellers do it.

It would be best to just take your refund since eBay will not side in your favor on this one. Honestly you should be glad he's willing to refund you - many sellers aren't, and they aren't obligated to. I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding any seller who is going to be OK with accepting payment from a foreign buyer but shipping the item to an unconfirmed address in the United States. It just looks suspicious. Perhaps there is a member who lives in Lars area who would be willing to buy the item using their own ebay account and just bring it to him, or a member near where the seller lives who could do a local pickup and then you could pay that member to ship it to Lars, but short of that there isn't any way of making the seller ship it to an unconfirmed address.

Last edited by Ron R; 07-07-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I agree PayPal and Ebay do nothing to help you out, unless it is an easy fix, if it means money out of their pockets forget it. There is no protection from them.

Get a refund and leave negative feedback. The feedback rules have changed recently and sellers can't leave negative feedback on your account anymore
Sorry but I disagree with you here.
I am a PowerSeller on Ebay with a 100% Feedback score.
Both Ebay and Paypal help out with resolutions - they do require time.
But all of mine have been handled properly by them in the past.
Right now I have a motorcycle that I sold and the deadbeat buyer has not paid nor responded to any of my emails. I have to wait 7 days to file on him and then relist it. So it works both ways - the key is honesty and a willingness to work with someone to resolve issues.
Ebay is no different than society - good and bad apples both on there. Don't blame Ebay.
My $.02
Bman
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ron R
I'm guessing the seller didn't realize that the buyer was out of the country or that it wasn't going to be a confirmed address when he said that.

Doesn't seem to me like the seller is trying to back out of anything but what appears to him to be a risky sale or possible scam. If I was selling something and a buyer in a foreign country wanted to pay for it, but wanted me to ship it to a US address, I'd say no thanks and refund the guy's money too. It's not worth losing the item AND the money, and that's often what happens in such cases, because this is exactly how buyers who commit fraud against the sellers do it.

It would be best to just take your refund since eBay will not side in your favor on this one. I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time finding any seller who is going to be OK with accepting payment from a foreign buyer but shipping the item to an unconfirmed address in the United States. It just looks suspicious. Perhaps there is a member who lives in Lars area who would be willing to buy the item using their own ebay account and just bring it to him, or a member near where the seller lives who could do a local pickup and then you could pay that member to ship it to Lars, but short of that there isn't any way of making the seller ship it to an unconfirmed address.

well stated!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Hamad I'm not sure where the seller is located but I will be more than happy to make the sale and recieve and send the carb to Lars. Or I can wire the seller the $41 plus shipping and then HE can send the carb to Lars.
Edit-Do you have the sellers phone number-I'll just call him and get it done.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
dodge_ss/t
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just send the money to Lars and have him use his paypal account to pay for it?

just an idea becuse the item is yours if you payfor it.

Get notified of new replies

To I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I dont think I made any mistake in that transaction, I knew that he only accepts US bidders, and thats the very reason I emailed him asking him if he could accept me as a bidder and sent the carb to Lars, which he was OK with it.

A deal is a deal, if he dont feel comfortable about it, why he said OK before my bid? .. and most important, why he was ignoring my emails for more than a week?

I have been dealing with ebay for 7 years with no problems what so ever, and only last month I lost $180 and now this guy wants to get away from the deal!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

How about having Lars do the Paypal and you Paypal Lars. Can you do that.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Hamad I'm not sure where the seller is located but I will be more than happy to make the sale and recieve and send the carb to Lars. Or I can wire the seller the $41 plus shipping and then HE can send the carb to Lars.
Edit-Do you have the sellers phone number-I'll just call him and get it done.
Thanks for offering your help, I really appreciate it.

I will see what he will reply to my message first, and then I will see what I can do.

Quick Reply: I am totally p*ssed off!!! .. that ebayed wants to rube me by force!!