C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Mirror Installation Template

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my passenger mirror and the whole assembly wobbles. I'll need to double check the mounting, but it appears the torx screw is fully tightened.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454
I just replaced my passenger mirror and the whole assembly wobbles. I'll need to double check the mounting, but it appears the torx screw is fully tightened.
I had the same experience last week when I replaced the original driver's side mirror with a reproduction variety. I tried to mount the new on the existing GN external bracket and even with the set screw nice and tight it would wobble. I then used the reproduction external bracket and all was fine. These things need only be an 1/8" off to get the wobbly result.

Another option is to double up on the base gasket with a carefully cut piece of rubber from something like a bicycle tire inner tube (or similar).
Old 07-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by supervette77
When I got my 77 it had no p/s sport mirror on it so I picked one up on ebay used. I had no template to go by for mounting it so I took off my drivers side mirror, got a piece of tracing paper, lined it up with top edge of the door, taped it to the door, marked the holes and trimmed the paper to the shape of the front edge of door with a single edged razor blade. I then popped it off the door, flipped it over, lined it up and taped it to the passenger side door. I measured the diameter of the holes in the drivers side door by sticking drill bits in the hole until I found the correct size and then drilled the holes in the passenger side door right through the tracing paper and it came out perfect.
Did you use well nuts? If yes, how sturdy is the mirror in place?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I added the PS mirror years ago using the supplied well nuts. (nuts and template came with the mirror) The scarriest thing is taking a 3/8th inch drill bit to a perfectly good door skin. Should take all of 15 min. to install and mine is still solid after all these years. You will like having the security the PS mirror provides.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c69vete
I added the PS mirror years ago using the supplied well nuts. (nuts and template came with the mirror) The scarriest thing is taking a 3/8th inch drill bit to a perfectly good door skin. Should take all of 15 min. to install and mine is still solid after all these years. You will like having the security the PS mirror provides.
Good to read the well nuts are OK. The scariest moment is on the highway having passed a car (me in left, he/she in right lane) and not being able to see where he/she is before getting back in the right lane. At the moment I wait until I can see in the interior rear view. There are always bozos who speed up when you're passing them!

Last edited by Paul L; 07-20-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Glassbowtie77
When I got my 77 it had no p/s sport mirror on it so I picked one up on ebay used. I had no template to go by for mounting it so I took off my drivers side mirror, got a piece of tracing paper, lined it up with top edge of the door, taped it to the door, marked the holes and trimmed the paper to the shape of the front edge of door with a single edged razor blade. I then popped it off the door, flipped it over, lined it up and taped it to the passenger side door. I measured the diameter of the holes in the drivers side door by sticking drill bits in the hole until I found the correct size and then drilled the holes in the passenger side door right through the tracing paper and it came out perfect.
Ok, You guys have inspired me to give this a shot. When I bought my car 2 years ago, there was a brand new mirror and mounting hardware inside the car. I've been a bit chicken to try to put it on. I will use Glassbowtie77's method of making a template and go from there.
I think I have all of the parts that I need.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 PM
outlawkinser
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed a passenger side mirror on my '74 with Well Nuts 30 years ago and it's held up fine. No problems!

Mike
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jeffery73
Ok, You guys have inspired me to give this a shot. When I bought my car 2 years ago, there was a brand new mirror and mounting hardware inside the car. I've been a bit chicken to try to put it on. I will use Glassbowtie77's method of making a template and go from there.
I think I have all of the parts that I need.

I don't see the Allen head attachment screw....
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

maybe its screwed into the mirror portion ?

You probably still need the support bracket on the inner side of the door. It makes the install much more stable
Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Ed Campbell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think the support plate is necessary as the factory luggage racks were installed with well nuts and I have never heard of a problem certainly not with mine and the luggage rack takes much more stress than a mirror. If it make anyone feel better with a plate inside go for it.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a replacement mirror with correct date codeing? I just purchased some repops of very good quality but no date code and the base if smaller than the gasket outline and has a gap when installed. Ed
Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Ed - you are correct - absolutely not necessary, but feel the difference betweenone installed with a backplate. There is a marked difference. As for the luggage rack, it lays horizontally and was deisgned that way from the factory. The rubber grommets used on the rack are pretty hefty as well and there are more of them
Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 PM
crjones40
Cruising

Default 72 C3 RH (passenger mirror installation)

I ordered a mirror RH passenger mirror from Ecklers. I installed it the two days ago and used the template and watched a youtube of a guy putting one on his vette. I followed the same proceedure. Installation went well until I installed the mirror on the mirror base using the set screw. The mirror never did cinch down tight and wobbles. It is not base that it loose it is very tight but the mirror assembly itself. Is this common? I have heard the ones made in the USA are better than ones made over seas. I called Ecklers and they did not have a different mirror. Maybe I got a defective one. They offered an exhange or return. Please let me know if there is somewhere I can buy a quality unit. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The best way to tighten the mirror (not the base) involves removing the actual mirror glass:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/chrome_mirror.pdf

Or you can try to exchange the mirror and get a better one.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by crjones40
I ordered a mirror RH passenger mirror from Ecklers. I installed it the two days ago and used the template and watched a youtube of a guy putting one on his vette. I followed the same proceedure. Installation went well until I installed the mirror on the mirror base using the set screw. The mirror never did cinch down tight and wobbles. It is not base that it loose it is very tight but the mirror assembly itself. Is this common? I have heard the ones made in the USA are better than ones made over seas. I called Ecklers and they did not have a different mirror. Maybe I got a defective one. They offered an exhange or return. Please let me know if there is somewhere I can buy a quality unit. Thanks.
So you're saying the mirror base wobbles on the mounting bracket? If this is the case and I'll cough while I say this... China at it's best...

The stand shouldn't wobble on the bracket. There are different suppliers of this mirror and two of them that I know of are imported and one is USA made.

We carry a imported mirror but we don't seem to have this issue since we just installed one last week in the shop. The car is still here 5 feet from me and I just double checked it... snug as a bug. I'm not sure where they get theirs, but I'd bet it's the cheap imported version.... well that's what I'd suspect.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:30 PM
crjones40
Cruising

Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 02:32 PM
crjones40
Cruising

Originally Posted by crjones40
Thanks
I am going to send the mirror back and order a new one hoping it will work
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default well nuts fine

I had no problem putting the passenger mirror on my '69. Someone had tried to put it on with sheet metal screws and big surprise, that didn't work. Fortunately the mirror was in the right spot and so were the holes.

Bought the standard mirror with the same mounting kit all the catalog companies sell. Piece of paper to help you figure out where to put the holes, then the well nuts, then a black rubber teardrop shaped base that goes between the plate and the metal mount bracket. Been a while since I had the doors apart but am almost positive that you don't have any access to the spot you would like to put a reinforcing plate on either side. I had the same thought you did. No idea if a '74 is any different.

The well nuts have never moved on either side. The repro passenger side mirror fit perfectly and the stem stayed put once I attached it to the bracket.

The allen head screw does loosen up and I check them once in a while. The driver's side stem just didn't fit quite right and yes, the stem did wobble a bit but I just cut a small piece of black rubber for under the stem base and with a little fiddling got it to sit tight. No idea if that was an old repro or original. There when I bought it and still there now.

The mirrors like to droop sometimes. I jut put a dab of crazy glue right on the ball and rotated it little until the glue dried (invisible) and it made it just rough enough to reduce that.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Side Mirror Installation Template

Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 PM
crjones40
Cruising

Thanks for the input
Old 06-14-2018, 10:47 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 177 Posts

mine wobbled as well, mounting base bracket is rock solid.

so i removed the allen screw on the side of the stem,

on the inside of the stem there are 4 small lumps,

i just put a piece of 1mm shim across the end 2, held with a dab of grease,

replaced and no more wobbles.

ymmv
Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 PM
crjones40
Cruising

Thanks for the reply. I have not looked inside the mirror stem. Do I need to remove the 4 bumps inside the mirror stem? Also not sure what you mean by putting a 1mm shim on end 2. What is the end 2 you are referring to? Are you referring to the front or rear of the mirror base?

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Mirror Installation Template