Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 AM
NBC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Dam

Hi folks
Here's another question for you. My car seems to float a bit at high speeds (90 to 100 mph). Would a bigger air dam or spoiler in front give me more positive steering? If I was to buy a spoiler and have it painted, is it a pita to intsall?
Thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A larger spoiler would create a bit more downforce on the nose. Steering may get better and cooling would probably improve a little, but how much 90-100 mph cruising do you do? At speed, the nose tends to lift on all C3s. The 80-82 noses are marginally better, but not optimum. Second consideration is under car clearance for the larger spoiler. Folks tend to whack them on things.

If you go with the install, I wouldn't go any bigger than the 78 Pace Car chin. 78-79 assembly instruction manual shows the installation.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:30 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Drop front end !" and add an 3" extension to existing spoiler...I used piece cut from plastic garden boundary material...bumps,scrapes don't hurt it...

Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1st vette did the same thing. The stock hood seems to trap air. The vette I have now has a 2-3" hoodscoop that seems to help. I think it lets the air escape.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 76 air dam was missing so I just finished installing the stock piece with a 4" additional piece of aluminum. It is approx 5" off ground. Haven't driven the car much since installation. I simply painted it black. You really wouldn't know it was even there. I wouldn't expect it to help much with lift and a feeling of wandering or floating. I think that's just too much of a symptom of the overall body design. I'll post pix some time.

Jay
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Drop front end !" and add an 3" extension to existing spoiler...I used piece cut from plastic garden boundary material...bumps,scrapes don't hurt it...

You could add an air dam and that would work, but you could also lower the front of the car and put a slight rake into it. I have a 76 with an 80 rear end (don't know how much this helps .... I originally did if for appearance years ago) and the front end is lowered so that the car sits at a rake. I've been up to 115-120 mph quite a few times on a road coarse with no noticable float to the car.

Either method should work, just go with the one that suites your taste the best.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods

Rich,
Great innovation! I like it. And yes I just finished doing some gardening using that product!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
outlawkinser
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
A larger spoiler would create a bit more downforce on the nose. Steering may get better and cooling would probably improve a little, but how much 90-100 mph cruising do you do? At speed, the nose tends to lift on all C3s. The 80-82 noses are marginally better, but not optimum. Second consideration is under car clearance for the larger spoiler. Folks tend to whack them on things.

If you go with the install, I wouldn't go any bigger than the 78 Pace Car chin. 78-79 assembly instruction manual shows the installation.

When I bought my '74 in 1977 I experienced the same situation and installed a '78 Pace Car Front Spoiler. That took care of it.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Air Dam

Quick Reply: Air Dam