Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GPGG70 -wheels on the convertible

Originally Posted by GPGG70
Thank you all for participating with your pictures and information. Now the reason why I'm asking about this type of console is I bought another early 70 corvette convertible.
This vert had a Retro AC installed some time back and the PO didnt notice that the console is the wrong one or didnt care.
Keep in mind that the manual vents still work by hand and the AC works perfect. The AC controler is a AC type in place of the non AC.
So what I did I order a new NON AC console just like the old one but wanted the Early style like in my coupe with the raised chrome letters and most of all the I wanted the console with the fiber optic.
Heres a pic of my console in the convertible.

So heres the deal. I order the new console from a vender and they sent me this console.

It's the same console but only with the fiber optic added.
I was wanting the plate with the raised chrome letters, Which the order window in the vendors site stated that if I used a PN# XYZ then this would be for the 70 cars that the Vin were below 12000.
Alan71 is correct and I also checked in my NCRS books about this console Before I ordered the part to make sure it would work and be a early 70 console, which they say is the correct style. I got back with the vender about this console that they sent me regarding the shift quadrant in the lighted band as Alan 71 has stated.
He has told me that this is the only type that is out on the market for all the 70 thru 72 cars and to his knowledge it's the only one.
He said he had checked the other venders and this is the type of console that they have as well.
My goal here is not to throw rocks at this vender here on this site or bad mouth them but to help them with this information. This vender has checked with the outfit called Trim-Parts the manufacturer of most of the parts for these vettes and they have never seen the early style console either.
So with your help sence you all have shown with your pictures and information that will help me give this documentation to the vender so they can add (change-improve) the part and or parts in the future.
This gentleman that I have been dealing with ( the Vender) truly seem concerned about the difference in the consoles and I'm just trying to help them out. Thanks guy for your time and effort. Greg.
Oh Yea heres the new vert I got last month. Weeee Doggie.

One cool thing to add, my coupe is a January 22 70 and the vert is January 12 70.

What kind of wheels are those?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:55 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by early shark
Wilcox Corvette,

First off there are actually 3 different console bezels for the model year '69. The screw mounting locations are all different. Early '69's had the 4 extreme corner locations. Mid '69's used 6 mounting screws, an additional two at the outboard of the lower fiberoptic lenses. Late '69's went back to 4 screw mounts, eliminating the two mounts in the lower extreme corners. this is the console bezel that all '70, '71's use.
Guess I need to go back to school on the 69 shifter plates next. This way we can list them on our site for what they are/are not. If the plate being made by Trim parts for the 1969 car is a replacement, then we need to have them listed this way.

The plate shown and made for the 1969 car is not correct for any application except as a replacement.

Willcox
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 AM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
So what have I got here? What I needed was a '71 plate, and this is what the eBay seller sent me. I know it isn't right for my application, but I went ahead and cleaned it up anyway. It has the holes in the lower corners AND next to the fiber optic holes. So is this a mid-'69?

BSiegPaint,

That is exactly correct. You have a mid '69 center console plate.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Another picture for my collection too! Early Shark do you know what the s/n break down is on the changes?

Thanks.

Willcox
Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello there Mr. Willcox.
I sure didnt mean to open up a can of worms like I have about these consoles, but it's turning out to be very interesting.
I tried to re-post the pictures of the consoles that you posted but couldnt get the job done so I'll just shot from the hip.
I read your post with the pictures of the consoles and checked the screw holes on all of mine including the new one I bought and there all the same, which is good. In reguards to your request about the plates in your pictures from your post, the two (early & late 70 plates) look correct to me for my application. As far as the 69 plates are concerned I would be lying if I said I knew about them so I honestly cant say there ok. Wanted to give you this info so you can forward the info to trim parts on monday.

(Quote) Now my last statement, is there anything wrong in this post about the difference in the shift plates from 1968-1971. I’ve posted a picture below showing the current production of the shift plates as well as the 1969 shift plate we have here. While I do own a 1970 early production car, it is a four speed so I have nothing to go by on this. Is my picture of the 1969 shift plate correct in my picture! This is real critical since I’m going to forward a copy of this to Trim Parts on Monday!

Regards,

Willcox Inc.

Picture:

The picture of the shift plate indicator you have # 5440 for 68-69 from trim parts co, shouldnt that include early 70 as well?
I went back and looked at the ncrs info about the early 70 plate and they say the AT plate was used on cars up to (vin) 12000 plus or minus.
Thank you very much for offering me to return the console for a refund and I appreciate that. It's turned out that this deal is not about receiving the wrong part so to speak but maybe ending up changing and or offering the different types of consoles for the different years that are in the 68-72 vettes. I've been looking the console for the past couple of days and I may go ahead and keep it. In fact I may order the 5440 shift plate indicator and try to incorporate the plate on to the console. I like doing things like that.
I do have another suggestion. I dont think that many CF members have seen this thread or the information about the difference in the consoles based on my title that limited the viewers to 70 vette owners and my name as the poster.
If you (Willcox) placed another thread about these, and the members saw your name next to it you would get more hits cause I bet the members with 68 -72 have not looked at my thread.
Again thank you for all of your help and information and if there is anything that I can do for you just let me know.
Greg.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Greg,

Yes, I do agree! I think this has turned in a a learing curve and another thread on the 69 thru 70 shift plates may be in order. I'll have to wait until this weekend, I'm pretty tied up right now and I would like to watch it.

We changed our description on the 5440 on the site yesterday to reflect the correct application 1968-1970 early and included a note for 1970 early cars with s/n lower than 1200 aprox.

Willcox
Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Hey there eagle 275,
I'm in the slow process of trying to find out what kind of wheels they are. I would like to think there the old torque thrust but not sure. I'm up to my neck in a radiator / heater core / A arm replacement all at the same time on my coupe.
I intend on pulling the wheel off the rear passenger side and look for numbers or a name of some kind here in the next day or two.
I do believe the spinners are some kind of later aftermarket bling but maybe not.
I'm also interested in the center cap medallion and what year it represents. I like them and will see if I can find new ones. I think what I'll do is get some good close up pictures of everything and start a thread asking what do I have with the wheels.
Sorry I cant help you yet. Watch for the thread maybe as early as tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:28 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Greg,

I believe these were made by American Racing and have the aftermarket three wing spinners.

They sort of look like the wheels on my 62, but mine are old vintage wheels from around 1969. I would see if you can find some old American racing catalogs.

I also have a set of Cragers that look a ton like the ones you have on the car. The old original cast Crager wheel has a metal edge bead around the outer most edge. It would get nasty looking if you did not take care of the wheels. American Racing made a wheel just like this but it had the aluminum edge all the way to the edge.

Willcox
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Greg,

I believe these were made by American Racing and have the aftermarket three wing spinners.

They sort of look like the wheels on my 62, but mine are old vintage wheels from around 1969. I would see if you can find some old American racing catalogs.

I also have a set of Cragers that look a ton like the ones you have on the car. The old original cast Crager wheel has a metal edge bead around the outer most edge. It would get nasty looking if you did not take care of the wheels. American Racing made a wheel just like this but it had the aluminum edge all the way to the edge.

Willcox
Lord have mercy, mercy, mercy, mercy, look at that beautiful 62. That is my favorite style Corvette. Thats AWESOME. I bet it's a blast to drive around. Thanks for the shot of the wheels. Like I told eagle275 I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Now if you had a question about a 62 shift console, I’d be spot on! Thanks for compliment! It’s not the correct color but hey, its Willcox Red and not Roman.

The car has 80k miles on it but it has only seen 2500 miles since I bought it in 1980.

If you look real hard you’ll see the custom side pipes hid under the rocker side panels. I had Mike Allen make them for me about 5 years ago. I have the original wheels, but I had these from my child hood and thought it gave the car attitude!

Willcox

Quick Reply: Show me your 1970 shift consoles