Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Rod Air Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

So Hot Rod Air says they do not have a conversion for their controls to a Corvette Thumb wheel design. I guess I would have ordered a Vintage air if I had known that. They did at one time as I have seen the documents on converting, but apparently not now!

Anyway here is what I had to do to get the HRA control mounted in the shift plate.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

carriljc
Thanks. I just slowly compressed the end of the tube together, and folded it over onto itself. It didn't seem necessary to glue the end closed.

The holes I cut into the heat riser, just slip over HRA adapter. I was thinking of maybe putting some thin foam weather striping around HRA adapter tubes to create a better seal, but it really doesn't seem necessary. After cutting the holes in the heat riser, I found you can squish and compress the tubing to get a nice pressure fit.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
73BLWN
Racer

RobRace10
To bad they don't still have the kit to retain the factory rollers. Hopefully I can still get parts if something on mine goes bad. Nothing to worry about for you. Your controls cam out great! You'd swear it came that way from the factory. Nice work.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I also made a new duct connection on my Hot Rod Air using 73BLWN's version as my inspiration. Found some black ducting at Autozone, a 2" test cap from Menards and a coupler at Menards. Total spent was under $10.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Very Cool. The cap on the end and the hose look much better than my version. Nice job. Maybe I'll switch mine when I install the radio. We had a cool summer in Mn this year. Not much need for AC, but the center vent seems to work well. I'll drive mine until there is snow on the ground. Then I'll park it.

Regards
73BLWN
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carriljc
Mine cools to ~37°F.
I recently put in Vintage Air and was wondering how you measured the 37 degrees. How hot was it outside when you tested. Did you measure inside the vent in the dash? Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default Just saw this.....

It was probably 70-80 degrees outside and I measured it at the center vent directly. The top was not up and the cabin was not sealed. So it was actually blowing that cold.

If I ever get around to putting the hardtop up I'll check it again when it's all sealed up.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:50 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carriljc
It was probably 70-80 degrees outside and I measured it at the center vent directly. The top was not up and the cabin was not sealed. So it was actually blowing that cold.

If I ever get around to putting the hardtop up I'll check it again when it's all sealed up.
Thanks. That is pretty impressive. I have vintage air but down here it is in the high 80's/low 90s these days. Will have to check my temp in a couple of months when we get the 70s. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default Center AIR duct air flow improvement.....

I originally fabricated some PVC to supply the center a/c vents; I then replaced that with corrugated tube as above. It flowed a bit better but I still wasn't too happy. So I was in the dash today playing with my new DIN radio thing and I decided to put in place an idea that I've had in my noggin.

I bought the cheapest tube of RTV (big one for use with the gun) at the hardware store that I could find - $1.94. I emptied it out and cut up the tube and attached to the back of the center a/c vents. I taped the tube on with some of the metal duct tape. I got a NOTICABLE imrpovement in airflow. I suspect the smooth tube just flows air a bit better than the corrugated ducting.

I do NOT have that contraption, with the two ports, on the backside....I was able to snug the empty RTV tube up against the backside of the vent assembly.......only thing is the air mostly comes out of the drivers side vent.....but it's a good thing....it's a lot of air flow. - - I'm ok with that.

Anyway - something to consider - for you folks planning to put in a/c as summer approaches.

Last edited by carriljc; 05-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Air Control Question