C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you modify the 79 front end to be like the 73?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's Modification of the 79 front end to be like the 73 for additional cooling

My front bumper must come off to be repaired and repainted. There is this massive plate behind my front liscense plate. Can that be removed? If so, can I modify my front end to look like and function like the 73, with a grill that matches the grills to each side? I was just wondering?
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 08-30-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is something that I've been wondering myself... I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think the bumperettes look absolutely hideous! Maybe the '73 front bumper and all the other stuff might bolt up to your car? If you need pics of what the bumper looks like without the bumper cover let me know.
The following users liked this post:
jr73 (12-26-2018)
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think the bumperettes look absolutely hideous!
I couldn't agree more. I really like the looks of the '73-'74 front bumper. I opened my grill area up and cleaned all the bumperette off. I just covered the opening up with a little black screening. If I decide I don't like this, I'll throw a '74 front end on.

I remembered a thread with a feller that put a '74 front end on his bumperette blessed '78. It seemed to work out well with a minumum of body work. Here's a link....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...nt-bumper.html

I thought that '74 end looked GREAT on his '78!

John
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FRSTR90
That is something that I've been wondering myself... I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think the bumperettes look absolutely hideous! Maybe the '73 front bumper and all the other stuff might bolt up to your car? If you need pics of what the bumper looks like without the bumper cover let me know.
Yes, I'd like to see that picture.
Thanks.
Bee Jay
Old 06-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I got the bumper off tonight. What a pain in the ***. I'll never do that again. Now I have this big black rubber mess that sits behind the bumper. Is all of that necessary?
Bee Jay
Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree it looks better w/o the bumperettes though not that big of a deal to me.

In the 77 AIM, a center piece is shown that has the bumperettes w/ center & part of the bumper (shown as 1 piece). The bumper attaches w/ 2 bolts from back while the lower bumperettes part has 3 studs w/ nuts at back. The drawing shows the front of the 3 studs at bottom. Look for the studs. It looks like the piece could be unbolted & the lower bumperettes part w/ center cut off horizontal below the center bumper part.

seventysixvette
Was your 76 like that?
Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ganey
I agree it looks better w/o the bumperettes though not that big of a deal to me.

In the 77 AIM, a center piece is shown that has the bumperettes w/ center & part of the bumper (shown as 1 piece). The bumper attaches w/ 2 bolts from back while the lower bumperettes part has 3 studs w/ nuts at back. The drawing shows the front of the 3 studs at bottom. Look for the studs. It looks like the piece could be unbolted & the lower bumperettes part w/ center cut off horizontal below the center bumper part.

seventysixvette
Was your 76 like that?
Yeah, there is a heavy metal piece right behind the license plate with the impact rubber lumps attached. Mine was held on with three carrage bolts that passed through the impact honeycomb and into the heavy metal brace that is welded onto the vacuum canister. I unbolted the three bolts and the large front piece came right off.

The plastic honeycomb assembly is just loosely shoved into the metal bracing. The stamped bracing holds the honeycomb and has the grill mounts bolted to it.

There are shims between the honeycomb mount and the mount on the vacuum tank you want to keep an eye on. They'll be loose when you remove the three bolts. I suppose if someone switched to a different front cover the shims might need to be adjusted.

John
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Here is what I have now. I'm taking the car in on Monday to have the bumper cover repainted and to have the gouge in the fiberglass between the headlights repaired and repainted. That rubber mass in the middle looks huge. I'll try to remove it per John's instructions when I get the car home. I don't think switching to a 73 type front end is practical for me.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 06-27-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:55 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Couldnt you remove all the stuff under the front bumper and install the fiberglass nose but modify it first to look close to the 73 ?
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...2&dept_id=1361
Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 AM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Bee Jay, I hadn't seen this thread at the top.. I ll try to get some pics up either tonight or tomorrow..
Old 06-27-2009, 03:37 PM
seventysixvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Couldnt you remove all the stuff under the front bumper and install the fiberglass nose but modify it first to look close to the 73 ?
That's what I did first. I removed the soft nose and bought a fiberglass nose off e-bay. I cut the bumper lumps off and fiberglassed the front license area in. I'll admit, it's not as clean as an original '73-'74, but I thought it was better than stock.

I figured this would save me on having to replace the grills too. I think '75 up is different than '73-'74s.

John
Old 06-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I broke it down some more today. I got the big rubber bumper/license plate thing out, a heavy bracket that was attached to it, and the rubber/plastic corugated thing that helps shape the bumper. All that is left is a metal bumper crossmember that must remain because it holds all the bracketry for the grills. I will put the corugated thing back because it weighs very little, but that bumper/plate thing and bracket weighs 15 lbs! They are not going back on. Maybe I should chrome plate the bumper cross member, then I can claim to have a chrome bumper car. Maybe I will take it off and lighten it by Norval/Strider method. Drilling tons of lightening holes. Maybe I can save even more than 15 lbs. I can't believe that Chevy bolted on so much weight to the front of these cars. I already removed the front air tank/bumper ram. I'll take the car in tomorow to get the paint and body work done.

Hey Groovy Jay, I went to your web site to see what you did to your front bumper, but the site isn't working correctly.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 08-12-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay

Hey Groovy Jay, I went to your web site to see what you did to your front bumper, but the site isn't working correctly.
Bee Jay
I know, we went through a server change some time ago and there's a little php/html mix up that will need my attention. I try to get it done soon as possible. YOu can just leave the whole inner bumper structure out...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Shirley1978
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...on-a-78-a.html

Last edited by Shirley1978; 06-29-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you missing a bolt?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Thanks for the link. I wonder if I could cut out the middle section of my stock front bumper. I don't mind the bumperettes. You should see what came on my 914. The bumper is in for paint now, but If I could cut out the area between the bumperettes, I could put my oil cooler in there with some mesh like you did.
Bee Jay
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wer2xu

Are you missing a bolt?
Yes, I was going to remove that metal bumper cross member and drive it to the body shop. But the lower front fenders get real flexible when you undo the bolts that hold it in. So I will remove it when the car comes back and start triming it.
Bee Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Can you modify the 79 front end to be like the 73?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by seventysixvette
I figured this would save me on having to replace the grills too. I think '75 up is different than '73-'74s.

John
They are different. My 73 was retrofitted to a 75 nose before I got her, and I looked into getting the 73 nose back on the car. The mounting flange on the front of the headlight surround is totally different. What you have to do is buy a fiberglass 79 nose and a fiberglass 73 nose, and graft them together. Then buy the 73 grilles (EXPENSIVE!) and take the plasma cutter to the bracing to fit the modified nose.

It is a lot of work, but the result is WAY Cool. I am about ready to tackle mine.

There is a good model of a 73 in the NCM. The body is off the frame, so you can see the 73 support bumper and nose really well to tell what is different from your pictures.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Shirley1978
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Thanks for the link. I wonder if I could cut out the middle section of my stock front bumper. I don't mind the bumperettes. You should see what came on my 914. The bumper is in for paint now, but If I could cut out the area between the bumperettes, I could put my oil cooler in there with some mesh like you did.
Bee Jay
that mesh is gone now.. it isnt much but chicken wire.. i got rid of it and havent decided what im gonna do for the grill yet.. right now i have 2 fog lights in the middle section.. still havent taken a good pic of it yet tho..
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Troy.Blackburn
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, that does it! I hate you guys! I've had my '77 for 10 years and not once have I given the front bumperettes a second thought.

But after reading this I took a look at them... and I agree! I don't like how they look either. Now I want a 73/74 front bumper!

Quick Reply: Can you modify the 79 front end to be like the 73?