C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed Value on a car that will be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
magelin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Agreed Value on a car that will be driven?

I am looking for and Agreed Value policy on a car that will be driven. Not everyday, I do have another car but I do want to be able to take it to work a Friday or two a month, and use the car to go to market if I need to. Why own the car if you can't enjoy it?

So all the classic car insurance companies I called would not do it since the car will be driven, and the regular companies only do stated value.

Anyone know if this type is even offered?

I am in California if that makes a difference.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Hagerty, they did exactly what your asking for. Agreed value is $10,000 and I drive when I want to. They even let you drive it a few times to work to show it off. Heck they will even let my 17 year old drive it. Of course I have not had any claims, so I don't know how they will be.
http://www.hagerty.com/
Thanks
Bill
Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have exactly what you are looking for, (agreed value) through my normal insurance company. No restrictions on mileage or how I can use the car.
They did ask me how many miles I figured I'd be driving, and I threw out 4000 per year. I usually don't break 2000. For all this, I pay $186 per year.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 AM
red99bird
Instructor

Default State Farm

My 1978 Pace Car is with State Farm Insurance Co with an agreed value of $20,000 with unlimited milage. My yearly premium is $128.00.
I drive a C5 Corvette every day & probably drive the C3 500 miles a year. I live in Tennessee & am 68 years old
Good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
Hagerty, they did exactly what your asking for. Agreed value is $10,000 and I drive when I want to. They even let you drive it a few times to work to show it off. Heck they will even let my 17 year old drive it. Of course I have not had any claims, so I don't know how they will be.
http://www.hagerty.com/
Thanks
Bill
I have had Hagerty for years. You best read the fine print again. Walmart shopping excursions are out, 17 year old drivers are out, and even taking it to work is out.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VettePower
You best read the fine print again.
The insurance agent most of the time has interest in selling you a policy (earning a commission) so there is a moral hazard in that they might not be the most truthful when binding coverage with them verbally over the phone asking them the same questions (can I drive to work...take it to the store for a quick stop, etc.). The ony way is to read the fine print vs. relying on somebody's verbal response that you have no way of proving what they said later on when $hit happens. There are ways around it...if you get into an accident while taking it to work you can easily say "you were taking it to the mechanics before/during lunch/after work to have them take a look at a few things".

Do a search for "Safeco" and that was the best I could find for daily driver 69 convert insurance and I did put an honest 20K miles over 3 years on my first 69 vette I had driving it about everywhere I could (work, taking the girlfriend out, cruising, beach, etc.) You will find where I posted the policy language where it specifies in the event of what is deemed to be a total loss they will pay the "agreed value" noted on the declarations page. Also their policy allowed me to park the car at my condo's parking garage on the beach vs. a private locked garage.

Good luck and enjoy....

btw...it was not cheap for this kind of insurance so be ready for a bit of a sticker shock.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I got a regular full time/full coverage policy on mine. It's the same coverage that I have on my Grand Prix. It is about $200 for the six months that I drive the car. In the winter, I drop it down to comprehensive which is about $15.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default agreed

When you read the fine print , I think Hagerty
has the best coverage . I have towing , and I've used it 3 , 4 times . Comes in handy with a C3 . Never any questions . I've also made a claim . I got hit at Starbucks on a Sunday , just joyriding . Someone hit my door , cracked the paint (third color) , no body damage . Again , no questions , we settled for 2000 . And I like supporting them with my business . 280.00 for 28000 agreed value
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

I have had Hagerty for years. You best read the fine print again. Walmart shopping excursions are out, 17 year old drivers are out, and even taking it to work is out.
I've had this conversation with Hagerty Customer Service and they exclude neither incidental stops at the local store or taking the car to work occasionally. They even encourage their employees to bring in their collector cars on the occasional Friday so that everyone can enjoy them. If you're going to use the car as a grocery getter, they aren't going to insure you. If you want to use the car for "pleasure driving" and you happen to stop by the store on the way home, no problem. I've had three claims with them on my Mustang that were all handled efficiently and fairly. When we had a difference over the reimbursement for the latest claim, they saw the reason in my request and came up from $3,500 to $7,400. I pay a little over $450 for a 69 Vette with an agreed vaule of $38,000 and a 69 Mustang vert with an agreed value of $28,000.

Last edited by RagTop69; 08-13-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
7t5
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 79L48
I have exactly what you are looking for, (agreed value) through my normal insurance company. No restrictions on mileage or how I can use the car.
They did ask me how many miles I figured I'd be driving, and I threw out 4000 per year. I usually don't break 2000. For all this, I pay $186 per year.

The MCC is almost that much, isn't it? (Like $110 a year) What company is that, I'd love that deal in MI.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:42 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I've had this conversation with Hagerty Customer Service and they exclude neither incidental stops at the local store or taking the car to work occasionally. .
I would still read the fine print, because that was not what I was told by them. Think about it, incidental stop at a local store or a Walmart. You still are leaving the car unattended.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
LT1 Hunter
Racer

Default american collectors

based in Florida--no claims-803 for 4 Lt1's per year.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
NewportGeek
Instructor

AAA collector car policy
75 L48 coupe totally stock
agreed value $16000
5k annual miles. they didn't ask where I'd be driving
$128 annual premium
I'm 27, clean driving record

they did require the car be stored in a locked garage.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:41 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

me too. been with hagerty for years and you DEFINITELY need to read the policy.mine reads that even occassional driving to work is prohibited, and they mean even as to doing it once according to my conversations with them. i had a claim (car stolen) and in order to continue my policy with my remaining car (had 2 insured at the time of the theft), they suspended my policy until they received pictures of the remaining car, my garage, the car in the garage, etc. don't get me wrong, i believe they were entitled to ask for those things, and i had no problem providing them. they are providing me coverage based upon certain conditions, and they have every right to insure those conditions i agreed to are infact being met and exist.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
magelin
Instructor

I called State Farm they said no Agreed Value
I called AAA they said no because I will occasionally drive it to work or a friends house or the grocery store.
Haggerty and the rest say no because of the same reason as AAA.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that driving over to a friend's house would be considered an "occasional leisure drive" and be covered by Hagerty.

This is from Hagerty:

Flexible Usage.
Drivers can enjoy their classics with comfortable limits. Our policy allows for an occasional leisure drive, not just to parades or car events.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magelin
I called State Farm they said no Agreed Value
I called AAA they said no because I will occasionally drive it to work or a friends house or the grocery store.
Haggerty and the rest say no because of the same reason as AAA.
I'll pull out the paperwork for my AAA classic policy tonight - the policy I have specifically states no restriction on use beyond the 5000 mile limit, storage in a locked garage and ownership of a second "daily" vehicle.

My 78 is insured for $20k agreed
$150 annual premium

I was quite impressed, they sent an appriaser out to my house, verified the garage - took photos of the car and then went back to run it past the underwriters.

Get notified of new replies

To Agreed Value on a car that will be driven?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,255 Likes on 973 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by red99bird
My 1978 Pace Car is with State Farm Insurance Co with an agreed value of $20,000 with unlimited mileage. My yearly premium is $128.00.
I drive a C5 Corvette every day & probably drive the C3 500 miles a year. I live in Tennessee & am 68 years old
Good luck
State Farm does not offer "Agreed" value policy's, they offer "Stated" value policy's. Best to read the fine print and not listen to the selling agent. PG.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
7t5
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by NewportGeek
AAA collector car policy
75 L48 coupe totally stock
agreed value $16000
5k annual miles. they didn't ask where I'd be driving
$128 annual premium
I'm 27, clean driving record

they did require the car be stored in a locked garage.
Theymay not ask, but you better. I just got off of the phone with them (for over an hour) and I have to pay for an appraisal, then get it inspected by them, and give them my firstborn. All of this for roughly double the cost of Haggerty. BTW, that was for pleasure use (same as Haggerty).
Another BTW, I am 45 years old. When I called to complain about my rates, they sudenly realized that I had a birthday so my rates were going down. Insurance, you gotta love it!

What state are you in?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
7t5
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 79L48
I find that to be impossible, "The MCCA announced that the 2009 assessment will be $124.89".http://firstindependentinsurance.com...s-association/
That is a mandatory fee assessed on every car insured in Michigan.
That means you are driving freely every day for 60 bucks a year. Help me understand and put me in touch with your agent. Maybe you didn't include this in your price? Even so, that is a great (unbelievable) rate for a car that can be driven daily with no restrictions.

Quick Reply: Agreed Value on a car that will be driven?