Sponsored by:

79 mushy brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 AM
csl
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 mushy brake pedal

my 79 vette had a mushy brake pedal. I found a leaking rear brake caliper. So, I replaced both rear brake calipers and brake pads. In the process of bleeding the brakes, the master cylinder went, so I replaced that too. I have now gone through two quarts of brake fluid to bleed the lines and still cannot get good resistance on the brake pedal. There are no leaks in the brake lines or calipers. Why is the brake pedal still mushy? Please help. I am really frustrated.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 AM
73StreetRace
Burning Brakes

If you make a search, you will find many answers on the subject :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=12462629

Like this one :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...rake-tips.html

If the pedal is mushy and you have no leak, then you still have some air somewhere.
Basically, you have three methods to bleed the brakes : Gravity, pedal, vacuum.
All of them work, some are faster but need at least two people or specific stuff...

Hope it helps.

Last edited by 73StreetRace; 09-16-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Get a friend to help. Fill the reservoir and cap it. Get a friend to pump the brake pedal 4-5 times then hold it down hard. You need to bleed in the following sequence. Remember the rear calipers have two bleeder valves. Make sure the car is on lever ground or the rear is slightly elevated,,,air rises to the highest point. Make sure the front is about level with the back when you bleed them

Bleed 1)rear left inner then rear left outer 2) right rear inner then right rear outer 3) left front 4) right front.

Check the fluid in the resevoir after you bleed each valve, if you let it get low it will suck air. Make sure its full. Have some one pumping the pedal and holding it down for each valve. You should be okay.

Jim
Jim
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csl
my 79 vette had a mushy brake pedal. I found a leaking rear brake caliper. So, I replaced both rear brake calipers and brake pads. In the process of bleeding the brakes, the master cylinder went, so I replaced that too. I have now gone through two quarts of brake fluid to bleed the lines and still cannot get good resistance on the brake pedal. There are no leaks in the brake lines or calipers. Why is the brake pedal still mushy? Please help. I am really frustrated.
You should bench bleed the master cylinder every time you replace it.
Search on the forum to see how to do it.
Bench blleding should take care of the mushy pedals.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
csl
Heel & Toe

Thanks. I am going to try this tonight and hopefully it works.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
pos72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pressure bleed

hey...just had the same problem on my 72...tried pedal,gravity,and vacuum..finally i just built a pressure bleeder,like the motive bleeder that you can buy,and bought a master cylinder adapter for it(KD Tool#2216),and it works better than anything ive ever used...

Get notified of new replies

To 79 mushy brake pedal

Quick Reply: 79 mushy brake pedal