Sponsored by:

Fuel line replacement on a '69

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Fuel line replacement on a '69

I know it cannot be done with body on frame and body off is the way to go but I'm doing body mounts, the one side at a time way, so in the process could I raise the passenger side enough to get the lines on without cutting them? I've done the brake lines without too much cursing. Doing the lines makes the Trailing Arm job look like a snap .
Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not real sure about the fuel line - but seems that it could be done with a minimum of blood and cursing. My question to you concerns replacing the body mounts 1 side at a time. I have the entire drive train and suspension removed; is it even possible to lift 1 side of the body? I don't want to go thru the blood/sweat/tears of removing the body bolts if I won't be able to lift the body off the frame to replace them.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim71Vette
Not real sure about the fuel line - but seems that it could be done with a minimum of blood and cursing. My question to you concerns replacing the body mounts 1 side at a time. I have the entire drive train and suspension removed; is it even possible to lift 1 side of the body? I don't want to go thru the blood/sweat/tears of removing the body bolts if I won't be able to lift the body off the frame to replace them.

Thanks
Yes, the one side at a time method is easy - I mean, once you get the bolts loose and off. It's been posted elsewhere - use a 2 x 6 with cut-outs made for the protusion on the side of the body. Keep the middle 2 bolts loose on the opposite side when you are raising the other side. You only have to raise the body a couple of inches to replace the mounts. But in so doing, you'll want to (probably) clean up and paint the frame where you can get at it. And I sincerely doubt the fuel line can be done without cursing. I know it was a super *itch to get the 2 clamp bolts off near the upright - but I finally gottem all off. Now , to get a new line on
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

What I was really worried about was not being able to lift the body on 1 side without lifting the frame off the jack stands. There is nothing attached to the frame.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Any thoughts??
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I know it cannot be done with body on frame and body off is the way to go but I'm doing body mounts, the one side at a time way, so in the process could I raise the passenger side enough to get the lines on without cutting them? I've done the brake lines without too much cursing. Doing the lines makes the Trailing Arm job look like a snap .
I don't think that amount of lift will make a difference, unless you can also lift the chassis way off the ground. It is the bend at the kickup that is the real problem.

Bubba alert: I cut my new metal fuel line before and after the kickup, ran a short piece of fuel injection rubber hose between the two ends. Very easy and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Steve
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
I don't think that amount of lift will make a difference, unless you can also lift the chassis way off the ground. It is the bend at the kickup that is the real problem.

Bubba alert: I cut my new metal fuel line before and after the kickup, ran a short piece of fuel injection rubber hose between the two ends. Very easy and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply

Well, I took off from work yesterday to do a coupla' projects, One was the fuel line that was slated for 1st after breakfast. It got diverted to last place after plugs and a brake bleed project on the wife's Cherokee. Finally got to the '69 about 4:00 .

Here's how it went.

Lines pulled thru where #8 body mount goes - I took it off, body raised about 2"

Did the return line first - that was fairly easy. Just push in downward and pull it thru. It's pretty flexable. You have to straighten out that last little turn it makes so it can go thru the frame.

The main line posed a problem where it goes thru the frame. The line is "L" shaped at this point and you have to straighten out the "L" so you can push it downward thru the frame and in conjunction, pull it thru. I used the handle end of 3 lb hammer(which you can see on the floor in the 1st photo).

It's almost thru at this point

Time for a beer

Now to clean/paint the frame and then put the new lines in.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 10-21-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM
babalu95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you email me these pics? Can't view them for some reason.

LS1garcia@yahoo.com

Gratitude,
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a b--ch....I did mine last summer and as my car is not NCRS, I chose to find a discreet place to cut and splice them...
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu95
Can you email me these pics? Can't view them for some reason.

LS1garcia@yahoo.com

Gratitude,
3.5 years later? Send him a PM or start a new thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel line replacement on a '69

Quick Reply: Fuel line replacement on a '69