Sponsored by:

Water borne Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Al Davis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water borne Paint

Anyone paint a Vette with the new water borne type sealers, primers base and clear? The best part is its water based so a lot less solvents for garage painting! This is the way of the Future. Also, whats the smallest compressor that can used?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 AM
New72too
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear some feedback on this myself Al. I have been shopping around to do a paint change to black on my 72. I have an offer for $5000 CDN from a bodyshop nearby to tear it down, manually sand, and then do a base/clear. My only concern at this point is the paint. It's Pro Spray H20, which is a water borne paint, and I am not really sure how good this product will be. Any thoughts?

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2010, 07:14 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The primers and basecoats may be water based, but the clearcoat is still solvent based. Add in the fact that most water based paints need to be "baked" or at least an constant flow of air across the panels to dry (it takes longer than solvent based paints to dry).
(I use auto air paints for motorcycle tanks and you have to dry it with a hairdyer to get proper adhesion)
My buddys paint shop has just got certified for water based, cost him a small fortune to swap over. The water filtration, booth filtration, new guns, new tints...gets expensive

Last edited by lvrpool32; 01-15-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Water borne Paint

Quick Reply: Water borne Paint