C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L88 Hood Scoop

Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
NBC3
CF Senior Member

Default L88 Hood Scoop

Has anyone here molded an L88 Hood Scoop onto their hood to get more room in the engine compartment? How much of a pain was it?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
rexx78
CF Senior Member

It will be pretty easy if you have fiberglass experience. I searched on it last week and found a few posts. Some guys have spent $500 to have a bodyman install it and match paint.

Center the hood scoop, trace it out, cut out with a jig saw, spin saw or router, bevel and feather the edges and lay matting down to build up the seams.

I am probably going to use a router and make a 3/4" wide area on the hood that is about half thickness and the same on the scoop. This way the scoop will sit level in the hood, then glue it in. After that, just bevel and feather the edges and seams from there using matte, kitty hair, and filler.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
NBC3
CF Senior Member

When you say "glue it in" What would you be using for glue?

Originally Posted by rexx78 View Post
It will be pretty easy if you have fiberglass experience. I searched on it last week and found a few posts. Some guys have spent $500 to have a bodyman install it and match paint.

Center the hood scoop, trace it out, cut out with a jig saw, spin saw or router, bevel and feather the edges and lay matting down to build up the seams.

I am probably going to use a router and make a 3/4" wide area on the hood that is about half thickness and the same on the scoop. This way the scoop will sit level in the hood, then glue it in. After that, just bevel and feather the edges and seams from there using matte, kitty hair, and filler.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
rexx78
CF Senior Member

I used a 2 part glue on my bumpers called Dyna Weld that I got at the local paint supplier. It is an epoxy adhesive/filler. There is a product called Vettefill or something like that that others have used for their bumpers but it wasn't easily available in Canada.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: Purchase an aftermarket L-88 hood for your year. Most of the aftermarket providers carry them. Your original hood has value. You could probably sell it and get some of the cost of the L-88 hood back.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
dp1969
CF Member

I did a body off restoration on a 69 coupe and with some engine upgrades, my stock hood did not fit. I bought the L-88 scoop from either Ecklers or Mid-America. The guy that did the body work glassed in on for me. His exact words probably should not printed in this forum.He indicated it was a very difficult and labor intensive project. I have seen it, it looks very nice. I would think you should have some body and glass experience prior to this undertaking.

Last edited by dp1969; 12-02-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
FKING1
CF Senior Member

This is not a simple job unless you are very good at fiberglass body work. Had my Body Shop friend add the scoop to my 70 hood after ZZ4 install and clearance issue.
Cheaper than entire hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L88 Hood Scoop

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: